DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   AVCHD footage - copy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/515252-avchd-footage-copy.html)

Kent Beeson March 22nd, 2013 07:13 PM

AVCHD footage - copy?

So not used to ever shooting AVCHD...hope to shoot for the first time in a few days with my new FS700...

I'm used to how SONY EX1r works where you have to dump everything through Content Browser for the BPAV folders to securely copy over...do you just take the SDHC and SDXC cards out of the FS700, open them up on the desktop, drag and copy to another folder as a back up, that easy? Or do we need to download a special SONY software like with the EX1R?

Thanks

Sami Sanpakkila March 23rd, 2013 06:38 AM

Re: AVCHD footage - copy?

I just pop the card into my laptop and copy everything in it to my hard drive. No need for clip browser.

Olof Ekbergh March 23rd, 2013 09:45 AM

If you are on a mac, like me.

You may want to use ClipWrap to rewrap to .movs. Very fast and easy.

Often I just use FCPX to import into a new event. This is also very fast and convenient and database based, the logging starts automatically. And to do additional BU just copy the event folder. This way you have already done a lot of your logging.

If you just copy the cards into folders describing the cards then FCPX can later import them all and sort them based on the folder names as keywords, very convenient.

I am sure that there are similar solutions for PC. The main thing is don't just copy the .mts files. Copy the whole card or use an app like FCPX/ClipWrap. Or multipart clips will not be joined and meta data is lost.

In this way it is similar to handling SxS cards.

Kent Beeson March 23rd, 2013 11:03 AM

Thanks Olof

So it sounds like as far as BackUp we can just load to desktop, drag into a new folder as long as we drag over every folder/file from the original SDHC card, correct?

Then as far as working with the AVCHD footage, that's a different story - need to either transcode for FCP 7 or FCPX but can edit natively in Premiere Pro CS6 as is...

Is this all correct?

Olof Ekbergh March 23rd, 2013 12:04 PM

Kent, that is all correct.

I usually make a folder name it describing the shoot. Then drag the whole card onto it, it makes a new folder called NoName in the top folder. After it copied I name that folder something like Card-1 (or be more inventive).

Then repeat for each card you copy, just remember to rename the NoName folder after copying so you don't replace it by mistake when you copy the next card and ignore the warning. Just like XDcam quick Finder copying, yes I have never had a problem just finder copying SxS cards, though some say not to.

BTW I always copy to 2 HD's before erasing the card.

SDHC cards are so cheap I often keep them as a backup until I have everything on 3 drives or 1 drive and a RAID5. The biggest problem is loosing the darn things. I use Pelican folders to hold all my cards, those are harder to misplace.

Kent Beeson March 23rd, 2013 12:07 PM

Thanks again - I too have a pelican case to store the SD cards- thanks for confirmation and info of what to do.

Will Salley March 25th, 2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1786196)
The biggest problem is loosing the darn things. I use Pelican folders to hold all my cards, those are harder to misplace.

I knew I wasn't the only one.