DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   Metabone Speed Booster and Canon Extender EF x2 III - Troubles (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/520936-metabone-speed-booster-canon-extender-ef-x2-iii-troubles.html)

Kieran Kolle January 7th, 2014 06:54 AM

Metabone Speed Booster and Canon Extender EF x2 III - Troubles

I am using Metabone Speed Booster and Canon Extender EF x 2 III together with my Canon EF-L 70-200 IS II and FS700U. For some reason about 50% of the time when I turn the camera on, it stops with the SONY logo and I have to take put the battery to shut the system down. However if I click the extender off and back on the camera starts up properly.

Sometimes when the camera starts up there is no contact with the aperture, and again I have to click the extender off and back on to get contact. This is a pain in the back.

I have used the same lens and adapter on a different camera (still FS700, but not with the new firmware) and a different Metabone (not the speedbooster, but the older version).

So, a lot of info here, but what do you think is it
a) firmware issues in the camera
b) default with the speedbooster (have not been able to get hold of one to compare with).

The shop where I bought the camera have not been able to answer my questions, but Im trying to get hold of a new adapter to test if this is the issue.

Have anyone else experience with this set up?

Kieran

Kieran Kolle January 7th, 2014 06:58 AM

Re: Metabone Speed Booster and Canon Extender EF x2 III - Troubles

A little mispelling there, I have to take OUT the battery to restart the system

Phil Goetz January 7th, 2014 07:03 AM

Here is some trouble shooting I have done:

Re: Metabones Speedboster problem on NEX-FS700: Pr... - Sony's Community Site

Gabe Strong January 7th, 2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kieran Kolle (Post 1826819)
I am using Metabone Speed Booster and Canon Extender EF x 2 III together with my Canon EF-L 70-200 IS II and FS700U. For some reason about 50% of the time when I turn the camera on, it stops with the SONY logo and I have to take put the battery to shut the system down. However if I click the extender off and back on the camera starts up properly.

Sometimes when the camera starts up there is no contact with the aperture, and again I have to click the extender off and back on to get contact. This is a pain in the back.

I have used the same lens and adapter on a different camera (still FS700, but not with the new firmware) and a different Metabone (not the speedbooster, but the older version).

So, a lot of info here, but what do you think is it
a) firmware issues in the camera
b) default with the speedbooster (have not been able to get hold of one to compare with).

The shop where I bought the camera have not been able to answer my questions, but Im trying to get hold of a new adapter to test if this is the issue.

Have anyone else experience with this set up?

Kieran

I have posted about this a few times. Unfortunately, you are using an adapter which has to deal
with a variety of lenses from different manufacturers. I have had your exact experience only
with the regular smart adapter. Sent it back for firmware updates twice. Now, two of my lenses
will no longer give me control of the iris at all. But the same lenses work on a Canon DSLR.
There is something a little 'hinkey' with the Metabones with some lenses. And from my experience
with two different Metabones adapters on a Sony FS100, a Sony VG20, and a Sony FS700,
there isn't anything you can do about it. Frustrating as the same lenses used to work fine and
slowly exhibited behavior like you describe, then totally lost contact with the adapter forever.

Bo-Ming Tong January 7th, 2014 12:29 PM

Could you check the firmware version number of your adapter please? (Press menu and find other -> version display) Thanks.

Kieran Kolle January 8th, 2014 04:23 AM

Thank you for the response.

Firmware:
LENS/MOUNT ADAPTER :
Ver. 19

Soozie Eastman January 14th, 2014 11:24 PM

Bo-Ming, can you please contact me?

I am being told I have to ship my 10 month old Metabones II to HK for update. Are there no places to update in the US? Version 12. Using with FS100 and Canon EF LI 24-70mm. No control of iris.

Thank you!

Jon Fairhurst January 17th, 2014 09:14 PM

Just today I had a failure on a Metabones adapter from EF lenses to a Sony E (FS700) mount. The camera and adapter were rentals.

The story: We had been wheeling the Kessler Pocket Jib and camera around a corporate indoor environment all day long. We then went out to the parking lot. After about 50 feet I noticed that it was vibrating so we stopped to remove the camera. Glad we did. The lens was canted at 5 to 10 degrees. The micro screws in the adapter had failed and the thing was coming apart. We rescued everything and found that four micro screws are all there is supporting the EF lens. We were running a 100mm IS macro, not some wild game lens.

Anyway, if there are electrical failures in the speed boosters it's possible that there is also some mechanical issue causing poor connections. Inspect those micro screws and make sure your adapter isn't ready to drop a lens on the floor.

Fortunately for us, the failure happened on the last shot of the day which was optional. We punted, packed up, and are now reviewing footage from a successful shoot. :)