DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   Sony E-mount lenses and the FS700 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/521024-sony-e-mount-lenses-fs700.html)

Dmitri Zigany January 11th, 2014 09:27 PM

Sony E-mount lenses and the FS700

Hey!

How well do the Sony e-mount lenses work on the FS700?
I'm getting the FS700R (have the EA50 currently) in a few weeks and might also get one or two lenses as well. For one man operation, the availablity of stabilisation and auto focus are sometimes very useful, but the fiasco of the new 18-105/4 G-lens and it's pillow distortion and the reveal that the FS700 deosen't have any onboard correction made me wonder if this also affects other Sony E lenses?

I already have the 18-200/3.5-6.3 PZ which I asume will work great as the FS700RH ships with it. But the other ones. Any yes or no's?

Dave Allen January 11th, 2014 09:50 PM

Re: Sony E-mount lenses and the FS700

I have not owned any e-mounts. All I have seen is footage shot and promo'ed at NAB boasting of how great the e-mount kit lens works and auto-focuses, yet I was not impressed with the slow focus and frequent focus hunting and out of focus I saw in the footage they were boasting. I am not sure what they were thinking.

I think phase detection is a better means of auto focus than face detection. Of course, I don't do hand held shots, and of you pull focus, who cares about auto-focus.

I have the Sony Zeiss 16-35mm A mount and am real pleased with that and the phase focusing adapter, but am going to get the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM for lower light which is getting good reviews, and am going to also get the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX Sony-alpha mount.

I just can't figure out why Sony can make a 32-390 lens for their FX1/Z-1 that always nails autofocus, the lens does not rotate, the lens does not extend upon zoom, and focus is internal. Why can't they make a lens like that for the FS700?!

The lens situation for the FS700 seems a mess.

Dmitri Zigany January 11th, 2014 10:12 PM

I agree, the 18-105/ƒ4 Power Zoom would have been great for the FS700 had it worked!

I film a lot of live events and with my EA50 I've found that having it in manual but with face detection on and occasionally using the 'push auto' works really well with the 18-200 power zoom. A bit too slow with the 50mm.

For live events power zoom is really useful as well, which is why it's a shame about the 18-105. The FS700 crowd seems like the ideal target for a lens like that. Why put the zoom rocker on the FS700 and then release a lens that's not compatible? Stupid move, Sony! If the EA50 works well as a b-cam I might get the 18-105 for the EA50 eventually anyway though...

I also have the Samyang 35mm/T1.5 cine lens, and plan to get a few more of those but currently I have more use of auto focus and lens stabilization.

I guess the FX1/Z1 has a smaller sensor which means less glass in the lens and therefor cheaper... I dream of a 24-200 ƒ2.8 power zoom for less than an arm & a leg ;)

Christopher Young January 11th, 2014 10:15 PM

I believe, 90% sure, that the 16-50mm OSS has the same issues as the new 18-105mm OSS f 4 has. Which is a shame because Sony would sell 18-105's to nearly every FS100/700 owner out there I think. I found in auto mode the 18-105mm lens does everything pretty well bar for the distortion issues. It's almost impossible to use manually as its all 'fly-by-wire' feel, or rather 'feel-less.' No physical connections to anything internally.

I would buy it if they come out with a firmware fix for it. A perfect lazy lens. Useful for conferences, speeches etc especially when you are bored and tired as it will do it all for you.

A colleague tells me that the 10-18mm OSS is pretty safe to use. Kind of borne out by a funny little lens test on YouTube where a few different zooms are compared including the 18-200mm kit lens which is pretty acceptable. Most of the primes I am led to believe are ok. Mind you that's only hearsay.

Nearly every lens that will fit NEX e-mount is listed here:

Sony Nex E-Mount Lens Guide – Best E-Mount Lens Prices and Reviews!! | SonyAlphaLab.com

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Dave Allen January 11th, 2014 11:15 PM

Awesome video Chris, and the background score was cinematically epic! ;)

Dmitri Zigany January 12th, 2014 12:50 AM

Yes, love the russian music, just got home from DJing at a Soviet kitsch bar before my first post ;)

Dave Sperling January 12th, 2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Allen (Post 1827428)
I just can't figure out why Sony can make a 32-390 lens for their FX1/Z-1 that always nails autofocus, the lens does not rotate, the lens does not extend upon zoom, and focus is internal. Why can't they make a lens like that for the FS700?!

The lens for the FX1 is a 4.5-54mm, not a 32-390mm.

We still like using the Alpha mount lenses using the LA-EA2 adapter. Recently shot a night ice skating performance by Jeremy Weir wide open 2.8 with an alpha mount 70-200 on the FS700, mainly at the long end, and was pleasantly surprised with how well the autofocus worked...

Gabe Strong January 12th, 2014 05:17 PM

I thought the Sony LA-EA2 adapter would not work with autofocus at F2.8? I seem
to recall hearing that the biggest lens aperture that would work was F3.5?

Dave Sperling January 12th, 2014 07:38 PM

Yes, you're probably right about the 3.5 on the aperture. I've noticed that happen with the 24-70 Zeiss, and it's probably true with the 70-200 as well. -- Let's just say that the lens was as wide open as possible given the autofocus setting, and that there's no way I could have pulled focus manually as well as the autofocus worked with the extremely shallow depth of field from the long lens.

Dave Allen January 12th, 2014 09:37 PM

I am not sure why they call the FX1/Z1 lens a "4.5-54mm", then list this; "for 35mm Conversion 32.5-390mm"

Then add "12x zoom" into the mix.

I seem to be able to REALLY zoom in tight at far away objects with that old camera....yet with the new interchangeable lens cameras, zooming to the far end of a 27-50mm equivalent zoom does not even come close to reaching out far. I know there is a mathematical reason why they use conflicting figures, and probably some marketing reasons too, lol.

Will Salley January 13th, 2014 05:15 AM

I just bought an SEL55210 e-mount lens for my FS700. I get the “Cannot execute functions due the the condition of the lens.” warning when I try to use the iris or focus controls. Shouldn't this lens work?

I do have version 1 firmware. Haven't been able to update yet.

Adam Gold January 23rd, 2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Allen (Post 1827555)
I am not sure why they call the FX1/Z1 lens a "4.5-54mm", then list this; "for 35mm Conversion 32.5-390mm"

Then add "12x zoom" into the mix.

I seem to be able to REALLY zoom in tight at far away objects with that old camera....yet with the new interchangeable lens cameras, zooming to the far end of a 27-50mm equivalent zoom does not even come close to reaching out far. I know there is a mathematical reason why they use conflicting figures, and probably some marketing reasons too, lol.

Dave, I took the liberty of addressing this in excruciating detail on your FX1 thread, as the question is specifically about that lens, but it goes into a great deal of lens theory about exactly why they do this for all lenses in case anyone is interested.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...ml#post1829027