DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   FS 700 is splitting my clips (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/522032-fs-700-splitting-my-clips.html)

Stu Ross March 4th, 2014 08:45 PM

FS 700 is splitting my clips

Please help.

Every time i record for a long period of time my clips keep on getting split into 1.97gb (11:47mins) individual clips. I loose about 1 frame on vision and about 4 frames of audio. Very frustrating as you would imagine.

Does anyone have a solution? i have tried on multiple cards the fastest being a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mbs and it still does it. All cards a formatted in camera before starting.

Is it a card thing or a camera setting i am missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Anthony Lelli March 4th, 2014 10:20 PM

Re: FS 700 is splitting my clips

it's not just your camera. if you're using windows and the segments are consecutive you should copy into a 1 file using the command prompt (MS-DOS) copy /b function
something like this:
open command prompt
as an example you have the segments in the card :
000001.mts
000002.mts
000003.mts

type this:

copy /b 000001.mts + 000002.mts + 000003.mts full.mts

now the footage is in the full.mts file

open that file and edit. the gaps are gone

Dave Morrison March 4th, 2014 10:44 PM

It's the nature of any camcorder that uses the FAT32 file system. Your software should be stitching it back together without dropping any frames.

Nate Haustein March 4th, 2014 10:51 PM

Stu, what editing software are you using?

Stu Ross March 4th, 2014 10:57 PM

Thanks for the help Guys.

I am using Prem CC. I have since sorted the problem. I was just importing straight from the bin and thats when they were coming in individually.
I have since learnt that going through the media browser automatically stitches them together.

thanks again.

Christopher Young March 5th, 2014 07:36 AM

Stu

Download Sony's 'Content Management Utility'. It has been replaced by Sony content Browser but...

Sony | Micro Site NXCAM & AVCHD

On importing the card contents to the hard drive it has the ability to stitch the files together correctly from either the camera's SD card OR a hard drive. This is as far as I know the only piece of software that will correctly stitch all clips into one clip from a card image on a hard drive.

Most important point here to remember though is the fact that the ENTIRE "PRIVATE" folder structure on the SD card must be copied onto the hard drive for this to be able to take place. Great for freeing up your cards.

Quite a few NLE software packages, if you imported the footage correctly, will show you a single clip in your bin that will play and edit correctly but if you go and look in the card or drive you will see they are still a bunch of ten minute individual clips. Content Management Utility will make consecutive time code "spanned" clips into one clip. Clips that don't break the Fat 32 2GB file size limit will come in as single clips.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Chris Harding March 5th, 2014 08:03 AM

Hi Chris

It works very well too. Any user just needs to be careful not to use the Content Browser that often is shipped with the camera ..that doesn't do the job correctly!

The Content Management Utility is a free download from Sony BTW guys!

When you load files into the Utility if will automatically do the stitching before you even export the files

If you have say, 6 x MTS files that are all split files from one continuous footage shoot, the utility will just show one single thumbnail ...with all the other 5 files already included. All you then do is export the file to wherever you need it in the NLE and it will show as one file.

Just a point here? If you drag the split files onto a timeline the video is seamless but you will find that there is a 12 frame audio gap on each file. If you use the DOS command does it also fix the audio gap the same as the Sony Utility does??

Chris

Paul Gale March 5th, 2014 08:48 AM

Last time I used the sony content browser to copy clips from a card to HDD, Premiere CC wouldn't recognise the timecode, resulting in TC starting at zero for every clip! It seems that content browser was creating a slightly different structure than the camera and Premiere was looking for the camera recorded metadata maybe?

Not sure if there's been an update since but best to check to see if you get that problem, particularly if TC is critical to you.

Chris Harding March 5th, 2014 08:56 AM

Hey Paul

Scrap the content browser ..you need the Sony Content Management Utility not the Content Browser as Chris has already mentioned! Do yourself a favour and uninstall the Content Browser ..it just confuses people!! Chris Young's post has the link for you!

Chris

Paul Gale March 5th, 2014 09:04 AM

OK will have a look.

I always used to use the content browser with EX3 and PMW-350 - thought that was the app to replace all others?

Cheers.

Paul Gale March 5th, 2014 09:29 AM

Well CMU was no good - looks like it'll only connect to a supported device / camera - not a USB 3 card reader :( Don't want to have to connect the camera every time (and it's only USB 2 speeds isn't it?)

Back to manual copying of files.

Anthony Lelli March 5th, 2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1835174)

Just a point here? If you drag the split files onto a timeline the video is seamless but you will find that there is a 12 frame audio gap on each file. If you use the DOS command does it also fix the audio gap the same as the Sony Utility does??

Chris

Yes, I use the DOS copy /b to manage footage from different cameras to sync via pluraleyes. It worked well so far on canon, Panasonic and sony cameras in the same timeline. There are no gaps in the audio as well. The DOS function works only if the segments are consecutive. (in the cards)

Christopher Young March 5th, 2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Gale (Post 1835189)
Well CMU was no good - looks like it'll only connect to a supported device / camera - not a USB 3 card reader :( Don't want to have to connect the camera every time (and it's only USB 2 speeds isn't it?)

Back to manual copying of files.

From memory you HAVE to connect the camera the first time when CMU is installed. I have never had to that since. I just drop the card into an SD card reader and off I go. A very smooth process. It also works for video footage off the NEX 'still' cams.

As Chris H. says don't use Content Browser for the AVC clips. For the EX footage to .MXF imports etc then I use Content Browser.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Chris Harding March 5th, 2014 07:36 PM

Hi Paul

Chris is 100% correct. Connect the camera so the software can identify it and save it. After the initial connect you do NOT need the camera again ..you can choose whatever slot the card is in in your computer's card reader.

Chris

Paul Gale March 6th, 2014 01:58 AM

Ok thanks guys. Will do that.