DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   Can FCPX, the FS700 and Odyssey 7Q be one big happy family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/522288-can-fcpx-fs700-odyssey-7q-one-big-happy-family.html)

Peter Walsh March 18th, 2014 02:26 PM

Can FCPX, the FS700 and Odyssey 7Q be one big happy family

Hi,

I've just taken possession of a new Odyssey 7Q, and as I wait like so many others for the ProRes announcement, I am wondering what is (if any?!?) the basic 1080 and RAW workflow for a an FS700 (with 3.0 firmware upgrade), the Odyssey 7Q (with FS700 upgrade) and FCPX (10.1). I don't have Da Vinci Resolve. i think I may not be alone in asking this question. Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Colin Elves March 19th, 2014 11:38 AM

Re: Can FCPX, the FS700 and Odyssey 7Q be one big happy family

1080 I haven't tried as the uncompressed DPXs are a bit of a nightmare to deal with. Unfortunately the cDNG files for the 2K Raw are a bit of a pain in FCPX as well because it doesn't read them as a proper image sequence, just as a sequence series of still files, but here you go.

1. Go to pre references and set your still image length to 0.01 sec.
2. Go to your first clip and import the folder (NB, you might want to do each clip as a separate event, you'll see why in a second)
3. You'll have a series of individual images (each frame) in the event window. Select all and drag drag them on to the timeline.
4. You'll see that they're all the wrong length each *frame* will be 10 sec long (probably) or something like that, so you need to adjust the duration of them all. To do this, highlight all the clips at once then hit control+D - this will bring up the duration box where the timecode was. Click on the timecode and set the duration to 1 frame. Hit enter.
5. Now all the clips are one frame in length, as they should be - next, drag the wav file that was imported along with the dng frames onto the time line to line up the audio with the image.
6. Now you need to make the wav and all the DNGs into a compound clip. To do this, highlight everything again and click option+G (option is the key to the right of ctrl) - or File>New>Compound clip.
7. Now you need to normalise the colour. So make sure the new compound clip is highlighted and go to the video and colour corrector and adjust till it looks right (they look quite odd straight out of the gate, so you'll have to get a feel for what looks right to you.
8. Now repeat all 7 steps for every other clip.

To be honest. I think this workflow is a bit ridiculous. If I were you I'd download Resolve lite (since it's free) and the CD workflow guide and LUT and use Resolve to make some quicktime proxies. You can set the whole thing up in about 5 minutes with Resolve and the results are really good.

Peter Walsh March 22nd, 2014 07:45 AM

Re: Can FCPX, the FS700 and Odyssey 7Q be one big happy family

Thank you very much. The Prores upgrade is now out, thank God!