What about the CX760? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old August 9th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: What about the CX760?

Got another one to show off the low light.

The first part it was my samyang 14mm f2.8 lens at 1600 iso with a neutral preset and as you will see the difference is quite big but I have been experimenting with the technicolor cinestyle preset and that makes a big difference as well, you only get a very flat image but in very dark places it does give you much more to work with. I"ll be using that preset more with my 14mm lens if needed, it can mean the difference between a usable or not usable shot.

The second example is at a candlelight table (no other light, just the candles) compared with a 35mm f1.4, I think what the cx730 can accomplish is pretty amazing if you see it blends well with fast primes.

cx730 vs t2I low light 2 - YouTube
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #17
Major Player

I must say I too am a tad surprised that more is not being said about the CX760 but I can easily concur with the comments in this thread regarding image quality - that is the way a professional might be perceived shooting with this type of cam, and the general comments regarding market niches and so on. In view of the fact that I am not a professional nor am I a cell phone shooter but rather one who is somewhere inbetween and who already has way too many image capturing device, but the thing about the CX760 I find intriguing is the outrageously excellent image stabilization feature.

Before I contribute to Sony, B&H and the New Zealand government’s bottom line (GST 15%) I have a question. I should point out that I have (among others) a CX700v, a NEX 5n with the E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS lens semi-permanently attached, and my most recent acquisition a HX200v.

The thing is I rarely use the CX700v as I find the HX200v superior regarding image quality resulting I believe from the seemingly superior image stabilization capabilities and or course the 30x reach of the lens. But even when comparing apples to apples (same zoom) tripod mounted I prefer the image the HX200v delivers. I should point out that while the NEX 5n delights me regarding still photographs as yet I remain somewhat unenthusiastic about the video shallow DOF feature that is all the rage, or was not that long ago.

But the idea of a CX700v with much better image quality - sharper and better colours - and outstanding image stabilization capability I do find compelling as a general walk-around shooting device.

Is that in fact rather much what the CX760 is?
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 05:35 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
But the idea of a CX700v with much better image quality - sharper and better colours - and outstanding image stabilization capability I do find compelling as a general walk-around shooting device.

Is that in fact rather much what the CX760 is?
No, the 760 is not "that" better, if I compare to my cx730 to my xr520, side by side, it's sometimes hard to tell the difference and the 520 is already an older generation and has a smaller lens, only the xr520 has some more sharpening going on and has more contrast giving it's image a bit forced look. the cx730's image is a bit more natural looking and flatter and you can see Sony went easy on the image enhancements, this makes it easier to CC in post to match other camera's.

Biggest difference is how noise is handled at high gains and there I see very obvious improvements, compared to a cx700 the OIS should be a bit better as well but don't expect miracles, on youtube you see a lot of people walking around with this thing but this is not how you normally make video, you stand still, point and shoot and then yes, the OIS is very good when zoomed in and the rolling eyeball takes good care of any vibrations.

Below an example how good it is, this is a handheld shot, about waist height, zoomed in 10x. You see me holding it steady for a while and then slowly zooming out so you have a good idea about the zooming distance.

vespa - YouTube

Quote:
zoomed in 10x
edit: correction, it was filmed when the camera was in active mode to stabilize the image and then the extended zoom is activated which gives it 17x reach.

Last edited by Noa Put; August 10th, 2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old August 9th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #19
Major Player

Thanks for posting that video Noa.
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #20
New Boot

I have this camera and like it. My level of knowledge is far below anyone on this site though, and this is my first camera over $250.

Here is one of my videos, and it shows off the awesome slow motion filming feature of the camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDQ...7&feature=plcp

Here's a kid pitching baseball and it shows his curveball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwdp...feature=relmfu

I enjoy using the camera, but I just film things around and things I like. This is not my job, nor do I make any money from this.
Bob Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #21
Tourist

We've been flying the CX760 around and the stabilization is impressive. The gimbal does most of the work keeping the camera level but the BOSS system is perfect at eliminating small servo anomalies. Would love for Sony to release something at this size with a higher bit rate and full manual control.

nick

Nick Kolias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #22
Inner Circle

that's some pretty impressive stuff, was all that sony cx footage? When you fly the sony, is there also some pan and tilt controll during flight, like how was the tilt shot at 00:55 done? About higher bitrate, the sony can do 28mbs 50/60p, that's as high as it can get for avchd.
Old September 11th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #23

It would have been nice if the CX760 had been released WORLDWIDE Sony! What are you thinking??
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Don't you have the cx730/740 equivalent where you live?
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #25

No, the PJ760E is the only one and its a lot more expensive.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #26
New Boot

Hi Nick,

I have a question for you, and this could seem like it makes 0 sense, or how in the world can I answer it, but I want to try and ask it anyway.

If you look at my video or videos, shot with the cx760v, and then look at your videos, yours look professional, and mine look like a noob holding a cheap camera.

I know you had no way to control light on those shots because they were all outside beautiful shots, but what did you do to get it that professional look instead of that "live look"

Any advice on settings, or what I could try to achieve something similar.

Thanks Nick, that was incredible footage. (notice that mine was not mentioned in the same breath)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Kolias View Post
We've been flying the CX760 around and the stabilization is impressive. The gimbal does most of the work keeping the camera level but the BOSS system is perfect at eliminating small servo anomalies. Would love for Sony to release something at this size with a higher bit rate and full manual control.

nick

AC/Radian demo on Vimeo
Bob Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan Salur View Post
No, the PJ760E is the only one and its a lot more expensive.
So Sony does sell the 760 where you live? Just asking because your earlier comment seems to indicate that's not the case.
Old September 14th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #28
Tourist

Noa, I'm not extremely familiar with the AVCHD codec so it's interesting to know the upper limit is 28 mega bits. Wish it could do 50+. :) Almost all of that footage was from the 760 with just a few shots from a 5 & 7D Canon DSLR. The gimbal has full pan/tilt/roll control and the camera operator manipulates it as they wish to get the shot required. The SUP shot @ 0:55 started as a straight down vertical and then I lead and accelerated past them while descending. At the same time the camera was tilted up to reveal the horizon. It's a bit of a dance and between the two of us (pilot/camera) we are constantly coordinating to get the shot we want. It doesn't always work out.

Bob, my best guess that your footage looks so much like 'video' is most likely the frame rate. We shoot almost everything at 24P. Give it a try and see what you think. Whenever we are asked to shot stuff at 60 I always cringe a little because I know it's going to look like a soap opera. :D

nick
Nick Kolias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #29
Inner Circle

thx for sharing,
have seen quite some copter videos but yours looks very good when it comes to controlling the motion, it looks like it's shot from a real helicopter with expensive stabilised equipment.

Have you tried shooting at 60P instead of 24P? If I shoot at 25p or at 50P I honestly can't see any difference in the image I get, only that with 25p I need to be very carefull when panning and with 50P I don't as I have the double amount of full frames, so for this reason I have been shooting 50P the last weddings I did.
Old September 16th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
So Sony does sell the 760 where you live? Just asking because your earlier comment seems to indicate that's not the case.
The CX and PJ are not the same.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders