DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   XLR problem on PDX10P (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/13229-xlr-problem-pdx10p.html)

Guustaaf Damave April 30th, 2003 12:42 PM

You have a PDX10? Please test your line level inputs.

The line level XLR inputs are located on the audio attachment on the top of the camera. I have two of these cameras and on both of them the line level xlr inputs do not seem to work. Bad distortion starts at -24 db. Please test yours and see if it works.

Guustaaf

David Warrilow June 3rd, 2003 08:26 PM

XLR setup problem on new PDX-10

hi guys,

bought a pdx-10 - so far it looks very nice - however, after following the step by step setup operation for attaching the XLR adapter and supplied mic, I find that the menu option "XLR SET" still greyed out and unavailable to select.

According to the manual, this means that the camera has not detected the presence of the XLR input and therefore is continuing to use the onboard mic. I have checked and double checked the connections and they seem to be fine - am I missing a step here? Is there some other menu selection that i need to make in order for the camera to detect the XLR input - or is it more likely that there is something wrong with the adapter and/or mic?

Any feedback very welcome.

best,

DW.

Viethai Nguyen June 3rd, 2003 11:26 PM

You might want to check the connecting of the hot-shoe, make sure to insert the plug at an angle as it said on add-on-sheet-manuals. Also if you accidently turn into memory mode, that xlr setting won't showed up.

Patrick Grealy June 4th, 2003 10:04 AM

This also happened to me and then i found out that I had only inserted the hot shoe to about 95% of the distance it needed to travel.

More carefully sliding it into place and pushing it in the whole way solved the problem.

Regards P

David Warrilow June 4th, 2003 05:24 PM

Yeah guys,

i took it back to the store and they went 'Oh, yeah right...' then WHAM!! they rammed the connecter into place and hey presto! Y'know I thought that video equipment should be trated more delicate than that.

Oh, well it's working now. Thanks.

best,

D.

Patrick Grealy June 17th, 2003 04:32 AM

See David,

I told you so !!!!

Regards

P

Mike Moncrief June 19th, 2003 07:52 PM

hello,

I am glad this topic came up, as i had assumed that my XLR connector was attached and working.. but i took a close look at it and low and behold my XLR set was also greyed out.. and i had to yank on the connector to make the camera see the XLR mic !! so this muct be a common errr feature. uumm problem..

is there a way to see if video already shot was shot with the XLR mic versus the cameras normal mic ???

Thanks for bringing this up..

Mike

John Hartney June 19th, 2003 08:18 PM

I just got a pdx 10 and went through this same problem... the connector seemed properly seated, but was greyed out in the menu... this low end dv gear is so fragile, it really did seem well seated... but nope.. it does have to be seemingly forced into place.

Patrick Grealy June 20th, 2003 02:24 AM

A quick check

To test if the shoe is properly connceted, Switch on Audio metering via the button, and simply tap the mounted mic. You can also rub the area where the standard built in microphone is located.

This will tell you if the show mount is operative.

regards P

John Hartney June 20th, 2003 07:17 PM

Thanks Patrick,

but the connector seemed properly seated.... and it was obvious the on board stereo pickups were operating.

I'm a video engineer and treat this Dv gear with tender care and the pdx10 connector has a very strange feel to it... I tried attaching it several times with no connection until I read (on another board) you have to force it.... I did and it did connect...

But I never would have forced a connector like I did this one unless coached... (for fear of breaking the connection)

Best,

John

Syd Low Mel August 13th, 2003 08:19 PM

XLR problem on PDX10P

When I attach the XLR unit on my PDX10P the menu item XLR SET is still dimmed/greyed out.

Does this mean that there is a problem with the XLR unit or the cam? Do I need to 'reset' anything?

Alan Herr August 13th, 2003 09:02 PM

Push it waaaayyyy in....

Could be that you haven't pushed the XLR connector into the hot shoe far enough. It really has to be snug - happened to me.
Al

Syd Low Mel August 14th, 2003 04:16 AM

Al-you hit the nail on the head!
I rang my dealer, and he suggested the same.

It has to 'click' into place! I feel like a real goose :)

Tommy Haupfear August 15th, 2003 10:32 AM

Its all good. Been there done that!

Michael Middleton August 23rd, 2005 11:21 AM

XLR Adapter Output

I want to purchase a Giant Squid mic for my PDX, and Darren said that he could attach an XLR plug to the current model for $6. He stated that it could be plugged directly into the XLR adapter, provided the output on the mic jack was no more than 10V. "However, more than 10 will fry them." I've looked through the online manual, but haven't been able to find anything on the output for the XLR adapter. Can anybody here help me out with that question?

Michael