DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PDX10 as Deck: How Stupid Is This? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/13978-pdx10-deck-how-stupid.html)

Benjamin Harrison September 1st, 2003 06:01 PM

PDX10 as Deck: How Stupid Is This?

I have 9 tapes of anamorphic video in DVCAM format. I am gearing up to get cracking on editing it. I am also, incedentally, broke. I don't have a deck. I don't know anyone who will lend one to me. I can't afford to rent one. Basically all I have to log/capture this video with is my camera. Is this as dumb as it seems? Is it really hard on the mechanism to work it like that? I don't plan on keeping the camera for much longer because I can't really afford to own it, so it will only go through this once.

Tommy Haupfear September 1st, 2003 10:17 PM

Should be an easy task for just about any cam. I've done a lot more editing on cams costing a fourth of what my PDX10 set me back.

Happy editing.

Chris Hurd September 1st, 2003 10:37 PM

Nine tapes -- no big deal. Have at it. It's only when you're running the camera as a deck full time, all day long, week after week that you might get into trouble.

The "corder" part of camcorder is designed to let you use the thing as a playback deck. Contrary to the popular mythology that those in the peanut gallery want you to believe, you're *not* going to hurt your PDX10 by feeding nine tapes into your NLE from it. Funny how this sort of misinformation gets started -- superlative becomes hyperbole, which becomes mythology, which then becomes internet lore. There is an element out there who wants to convince you that if you don't listen to them, your camcorder will explode as soon as you've switched it to VCR mode. Pay those people no heed. Just press play -- hope this helps (nice site by the way),

Benjamin Harrison September 2nd, 2003 07:07 AM

Sweet. Thank you for the info. It always seemed wierd to me that people said that, because I used to edit up a storm with my Canon Elura. Glad my suspicions were true.

And thanks for complimenting my site :)

Viethai Nguyen September 22nd, 2003 12:49 PM

I have PDX10 for less than 6 months. I used it to log tape in-out thru-fire wire to computer and back to camera. As I could remember it was used less than 50 times. One day it just stopped. I am sure the problem is the fire-wire in camera.
I tried on different cable, different computer, also with other camera, DV device...You named it.

I bought this camera from BH photo but I call Sony to talk with Repair Dept. The guy tell me to ship it . Am i doing right?Should I call BH?? I also bought extend-waranty with BH.

Is any one experience same problems with Sony Fire-Wire Camera?

Ignacio Rodriguez September 22nd, 2003 04:06 PM

Beware of cheap cables and insert 4 pin connectors carefully

I have heard that some cables, low cost kind --don't remember the exact brand but it was a certain brand-- can ruin firewire ports. I have also heard that 4 pin connectors are quite delicate and can easily be ruined, especially if you insert the plug the wrong way. What you describe might be the result of inserting a bad cable or trying to force insert the plug in the wrong direction. I have always used the cables that come with Macs and been very careful when hooking up the camera.