DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Match shots btw PD170 and PDX10? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/19887-match-shots-btw-pd170-pdx10.html)

Neftali Cano January 15th, 2004 08:56 PM

Match shots btw PD170 and PDX10?

I'm looking to aquire a PDX10 for use with my Glidecam and Cobracrane. I figure the small form factor cannot be beat.

That said, does anyone here have a PD170 and intercut footage from the 2 cameras? 16x9 is nice but most of my stuff is industrial so 4x3 is more practical.

Thanks

Shawn Mielke January 16th, 2004 04:54 AM

http://www.creativecow.net/index.php?forumid=1

This is the most direct answer to your question that I have come across; it's taken from a discussion, mostly on the merits and workarounds of the PDX10, that we were having at above listed website, in the Sony DV forum.

Other than that, I only wish I could answer from experience (have the PDX10, would like to have the PD170 :-] ). Be sure to post also in the PD170 forum here, if you haven't already. Good luck!

Ignacio Rodriguez January 17th, 2004 03:15 PM

I have intercut PDX10 and PD150 footage and it is possible. But connect a monitor to the cams and match for the specific light levels you are working. If you don't have a monitor, use an S-video cable to connect the PD150/170 output to the PDX10 in VTR mode and use the PDX10's LCD as the reference. Then use Custom Preset to fool around with the PDX10's image (since it has more bits to process the image with, I think it makes more sense than moving the PD150/170's settings). Both cams respond very differently to changes in illumination, probably because of the different way they handle exposure (built in auto ND vs. traditional iris), the amount of chroma seems critical as does white balance, so use it might be best to use manual white balance when you have the time.

Neftali Cano January 17th, 2004 09:24 PM

Thanks...

I have decided to purchase a PDX10 now to meet the needs of certian pieces of equipment as mentioned before, i.e. the CobraCrane and my Glidecam.

I know that Panasonic is coming out with a smaller version of the DVX100/a soon and all accounts are it's the perfect partner for the popular DVX100/a camera, but I know where my immediate needs lie presently; industrial video and not feature work.

I guess my initial plans of producing a feature coupled with the recent advances brought on by the DVX100's got the better of me.

My work is mainly in creating marketing and training media for the business sector and not shorts for the festival market...well soon enough.

What started as a hobby and hope for feature production has turned into an expensive pursuit, don't get me wrong I enjoy the challenges...but film festivals won't pay off all the new Macs and video gear I've purchased over the last 4 years.

Please excuse my ramblings, it sometimes pays to say out loud or in the case spell out what one is thinking. Well I'll be placing my order to BH for one PDX10, one Century WA lens and one Cinetactics Matte hood. Man I hope my wife is not peering over my shoulder when I place the orders : )

Boyd Ostroff January 17th, 2004 09:59 PM

Neftali, I think you will be pleased with the PDX-10, it really produces remarkable images. Don't give up on your plans to make that feature, the PDX-10's 16:9 mode is well suited for that as well.

Neftali Cano January 18th, 2004 06:48 AM

B movies coming soon...

Boyd

Yes, I will produce "ONE" before I check out thats for sure. I think alot of us have become too tied up with the gear and have spent little or no time putting pen to paper (ok PowerBook to Movie Magic 2000) on a good story worth telling.

Hell even Roger Corman spent some time writing his B movies before spending the average $5K and 2 weeks in production.

P.S. By the way I placed the order and the wife was sound asleep a few feet behind me...I think I'll let her buy some more shoes tomorrow...