DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PDX10(p) audio frequency range (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/20746-pdx10-p-audio-frequency-range.html)

Jan Roovers February 2nd, 2004 03:10 PM

PDX10(p) audio frequency range

I have done some testings with different mics.

It appears to me that when I record the same mics through my mixer and my Soundblaster that i have more bass.

Does the the PDX10(p) has a bassrollof?

What is the frequency range of the PDX10(p)?
How is that bass rolloff.
Does it exist on line level too?

I have no possibility to measure those things.

I have the mics tested on the XLR input on mic level and at 48khz/16 bits on both the Sony and the Soundblaster.

Besides i found out that the audio autolevelsystem seems to react different on a mic with more bass as the original mic:
I had two mics that gave the same sound level in manual,
but with autolevel on I saw a difference of 10 db!
Have you seen this too?

Jim J. Donaldson February 3rd, 2004 10:24 AM

Yes, there is a low frequency filter located on the XLR adapter box. It is used to remove low frequency "wind" noise. There is also some noise reduction available in the audio section of the menus. My guess is the one on the XLR box is the one giving you problems. If wind isn't a problem make sure this is turned off.

Good Luck,
JimJohnD

Jan Roovers February 3rd, 2004 11:49 AM

It is and was turned off !

Or gives my soundblaster to much bass?

Jan Roovers February 3rd, 2004 05:37 PM

I did more experiments. I think the PDX10p has a strong rolloff at 50 hz. Aim I wrong?
But how strong is the rolloff? Where does it start?

Who can measure that or has measured that?

It is important for the choice of mic I want to buy.

I can buy a new Neumann K145 for €400,- that is cheap. I love the sound. It has a pleasant smooth rolloff which i like for voicerecording specially, but when it interferes with the rolloff of the PDX10p, ir is to much and it is a bad choice.

Please, who can help me out.

Patrick Grealy February 4th, 2004 03:56 AM

Hi Jan

I'd suggest that your sound blaster card may not have the best preamp to compare the quality of the preamps in the Sony (and the other audio artifacts inheret in the Sony Module (autogain and roll-off)

Am using a Digidesign Mbox with nice Focusrite pre-amps. I'd suggest that you consider improved audio interfaces before trying to assess the quality improvement of using a nice mic such as the Neumann.

Regards P

Jan Roovers February 4th, 2004 01:00 PM

But I think, I will never be able to buy a new Neumann K145 for € 399,-- .

I have compared it with a ME64 which is sold for the same price.
I like the sound of the Neumann.

But I want to be sure that the rolloff of the Neumann together with the stdrd rolloff of he PDX10(p) will not appear to be to much in a disappointing way. ( I don't mean the rolloff behind the roloff-switch which is far to much for my tastte!)

My soundcard has the same specs as the Sony. So I will not complain to much about that.

Jan Roovers February 5th, 2004 05:17 AM

I found this link.
http://www.sounddevices.com/tech/pd150.htm
It confirms a bit what i hear.

It is said that the sound of the PDX10 is better, but I think to hear the same frequencyrange, but i have no absolute ears. :-)

Jan Roovers February 11th, 2004 02:10 PM

I was able to record some whitenoise with my PDX10(p) and this curve was confirmed.

A lot of cams seem to show this frequentieresponse.

I think it is important to know, because it may affect the choice of your mic.

So I will be carefull with a mic that has strong bassrolloff. It will be superimposed on the bassrollof of the cam and may turn out to be to strong.
For instance the Sennheiser ME64 will have a rolloff of -9db at 50hz; together with the rolloff of Sony -10db at 50 hz makes -19 db at 50hz and that is pretty much and will sound very thin.
The Neumann KM185 has a rolloff of -10db at 50 hz, which makes -20db on the Sony!