DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Do we need the Sony EXTENDED WARRANTY on the PDX10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/22706-do-we-need-sony-extended-warranty-pdx10.html)

Ronald Lee March 10th, 2004 12:40 PM

Do we need the Sony EXTENDED WARRANTY on the PDX10

Hi,

In Canada, the factory warranty on the PDX10 is 1 year. However, we can purchase and additional 3 (or five?) years from Sony (for cough, 1/6 of the price of the camera, cough).

Do we need this? I was set on getting this extended warranty, as if anything goes wrong with it, I don't want to be smacked with a huge bill, BUT consumer reports rates these types of cameras as being very reliable.

I haven't heard many stories of Sony products failing as well.

Reason I'm asking? I can get the PDX10 from the US (ok, off ebay - but I check, they are an authorized dealer) with a full accessory package for the same price as what I pay for just the camera here.

Boyd Ostroff March 10th, 2004 12:51 PM

I did not buy the extended warranty, and after using the camera for a year have had no problems. But you have to make your own judgements on cost vs risk. Basically it's like an insurance policy.

Tommy Haupfear March 10th, 2004 02:51 PM

Be careful about getting your cam off of eBay. Sony's list of authorized Internet dealers is very short.

http://www.sel.sony.com/cgi-bin/SEL/...gi/aid_list.pl

As for the warranty. I usually pass on these due to their high price but if its under $100 for a few extra years then I will definitely give it a second thought.

Why not put the money of the overpriced warranties (for all of your electronics) into a savings account. The odds are in your favor that you'll never have to touch it!

Boyd Ostroff March 10th, 2004 03:02 PM

Tommy: your point is well taken, but that list is for Sony consumer products. I believe that the PDX-10 is part of the broadcast/pro line which is handled differently. Many (if not most) of the dealers on that list would not carry the PDX-10 or PD-170.

Tommy Haupfear March 10th, 2004 04:32 PM

Interesting point Boyd.

Using this link you can look up brick and mortar resellers for Sony Pro gear but it doesn't seem to list websites so it makes you wonder who is authorized to sell DVCAM online.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professiona...sp=11&id=65263

I would still stick with B&H.

Ronald Lee March 12th, 2004 02:45 PM

So then I take it that no one here has had problems with the PDX10 after their 6 month or 1 year warranty expired?

I don't have to worry that in 3 years something would go wrong where I would need the extended warranty?

Chris Long March 12th, 2004 05:34 PM

After MUCH thought, I chose not to purchase an extended warranty for my PDX-10. I haven't had a problem of any kind in the past 9 months. It's very well-made.

One thing that influenced my decision is that if you purchase with a Visa credit card (I did) it will automatically double the length of the manufacturers warranty. Not sure if this applies to Canada, but it's worth looking into if you are going to purchase with a Visa card.

I bought mine through B and H, and was VERY glad I did after a friend was dragged through a horrible experience by another dealer, Broadway Photo. Avoid them at all costs (no pun intended)

Wherever you buy, check out the overall rating of the dealer at http://www.resellerratings.com You'll be glad you did.

Patrick Grealy March 13th, 2004 06:05 AM

European experience

Interestingly, in Europe, a Pxd10 or other cams like the PD170 is covered by a SILVER warrenty which lasts 2 years and includes a replacement camera during the repair process.

This is the continuously mentioned by authorised dealers who say that the "grey' imports sold by non authorised dealers do not have this silver 2 year warranty and justify theor higher prices on this basis.

The price difference can often be in the order of $300.

Regards P

Lambis Stratoudakis March 13th, 2004 10:43 AM

2 years Silver Support in Europe for all Proffesional Sony cameras (pDX10, PD170) is great.
Sony will arrange a collection directly from anywhere in mainland EU your camera and repeare it. In the maintime you will have a other camera.

They are soe internet resealers that say that the dont offer this silver support.

After I have tolk with Sony europe I know that ONLY authorised dealers have this support. All others that dont offer this support seal "grey' imports"

By the way. where have you pursale your PDX10 Patrick?

Lambis

Tom Hardwick March 22nd, 2004 02:53 AM

If anyone asks me if they should go for the extended warrenty on their new Mini DV camcorder, I say nothing. I go over to my cupboard and bring forth the three chip Panasonic MX300 that I've torn down to its component parts. This is phenominal design and production engineering beauty. There are tens of ICs, tens of moving parts. The miniaturisation and delicacy makes you hold your breath as you pick up the tape deck, the lens assembly, the microphone and VCR playback panel. You spin that tiny head and realise that it moves at 9000rpm, day in, day out. It's lubricated for ''life'', and that life is very finite.

There is no question really. I'd not extend the warrenty on my TV or microwave or vacuum cleaner, but the Mini DV camcorder really is something else. Such delicate beauty deserves insuring.

tom.

Frank Granovski March 22nd, 2004 03:38 AM

Tom, off topic, Ugh. I shudder at that MX300 scenario---in pieces and in your cupboard. I hope you are able to get humpty dumpty back together again. :-))

I suggest the extended warranty as well. You just never know....

Tom Hardwick March 22nd, 2004 03:49 AM

I wasn't able to get it back together again, no :-( I was given it as it'd ''jsut stopped working'' and I gently dissassembled it, drawing pictures as I went so that I could retrace my steps through the forest. When these babys stop working they could have terminal cancer or may be simply going through a bad patch. Looking at it you simply cannot tell.

tom.

Patrick Grealy March 22nd, 2004 05:12 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Lambis Stratoudakis : 2 years Silver

By the way. where have you pursale your PDX10 Patrick?

Lambis -->>>

I bought my camera in ASK on Tottenham court road in London.

Not sure if they are an authorised dealer or not!

Regards P

Frank Granovski March 22nd, 2004 05:51 AM

Tom, if you can get it back together, perhaps you can leave out the ND filter/s on the iris. :-)) Oh, I keep my MX300 not in the cupboard, but in my Lowepro Nova 5 soft bag.

Back to the warranty thing. Some of my cams had extended warranties while others did not. So far, all my cams are still working fine; and my warranties have run out. If you had say 2 or 3 or more cams, it's probably not worth it to buy extended warranties for any of them. If one cam needs fixing, and you have to pay for it, it will most likely be cheaper than the cost of the combined warranties.