DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Lightweight and effective stablizer for x10/950? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/25447-lightweight-effective-stablizer-x10-950-a.html)

Love Mov May 2nd, 2004 08:18 PM

Lightweight and effective stablizer for x10/950?

Is there a good and lightweight (less than 2 lbs maybe) handheld stablizer? And, how to smoothly pan, focus and zoom on a stablizer? Use remore control? Thanks.

Boyd Ostroff May 2nd, 2004 08:35 PM

Several of us are using the GlideCam 2000. It is not easy to get good footage with a handheld stabilizer though; takes a LOT of practice. Panning is done using the rig itself. For focusing I use a wide angle lens which gives lots of depth of field, you can also use autofocus to help. Zooming? Hmm, that would be tough, haven't tried that.

The balance is really precise on the glidecam, adding a filter or changing the LCD screen is enough to throw it off.

Love Mov May 2nd, 2004 10:34 PM

Boyd,

Thanks. I'll take a look. I'm only thinking of using it while a tripod is impossible...

Boyd Ostroff May 3rd, 2004 08:19 AM

I wouldn't really think of a handheld stabilizer as any sort of tripod substitute. It's something completely different that can be used to smooth out the motion as the camera moves. If you want to stabilze stationary shots I don't think you will be very happy with the results. You might want to look at some of the shoulder mounts and braces that are designed to help hold the camera steady without a tripod. Even with lots of practice I doubt that you would be able to get more than a few continuous minutes worth of steady footage with the glidecam since it's very tiring to hold.

Love Mov May 3rd, 2004 10:14 PM

I see. So any shoulder mounts to look at? My most concern is weight, since the cam is basically for traveling use. Thanks.

John C. Chu May 6th, 2004 05:22 PM

Re: Lightweight and effective stablizer for x10/950?

<<<-- Originally posted by Love Mov : Is there a good and lightweight (less than 2 lbs maybe) handheld stablizer? And, how to smoothly pan, focus and zoom on a stablizer? Use remore control? Thanks. -->>>

In terms of a lightweight stabilizer...

I don't think you can beat the Hollywood Lite VS-1 handheld if you want something lightweight.

http://www.hollywoodlite.com

The VS-1(like my other favorite, the Steadicam JR) requires just a delicate touch of the fingertips on the gimbal to pan.

(The Glidecam 2000 on the other hand requires you to rotate the center pole itself---which in my opinion makes it difficult to pan without disturbing the camera--I would imagine on a huge heavy film camera this isn't an issue)

The VS-1 supports a camera up to four pounds and in my experience..you can use it all day.

As Boyd said, stablizers like this are not really good look for telephoto shots and long static shots in one place--that is what a tripod is for.

But if you want to be able to do tracking type shots...you need a steadicam type stabilizer.

Now, as much as I like the VS-1(despite some flaws) the best stabilizer--and the most versatile is the Steadicam JR.

It's easy to balance and adjust and it has a great gimbled handle.

But enough talk....

Watch me demonstrate the JR here...

I used an Apple iSight to record this...

don't laugh...

http://homepage.mac.com/johnchu/steadicamjr.mov

Angela Chan May 11th, 2004 12:27 PM

When I watch the demo from hollywoodlite, looks very impressive, do they use any width angle len on the shoot?

Frank Granovski May 11th, 2004 04:10 PM

Quote:

s there a good and lightweight (less than 2 lbs maybe) handheld stablizer? And, how to smoothly pan, focus and zoom on a stablizer? Use remore control?
I find the DV Caddie handy and easy to use. I put the cam in pause when I adjust the settings, though.

Charles Papert May 11th, 2004 07:32 PM

Re: Re: Lightweight and effective stablizer for x10/950?

<<<-- Originally posted by John C. Chu : <<<-- The VS-1(like my other favorite, the Steadicam JR) requires just a delicate touch of the fingertips on the gimbal to pan.

(The Glidecam 2000 on the other hand requires you to rotate the center pole itself---which in my opinion makes it difficult to pan without disturbing the camera--I would imagine on a huge heavy film camera this isn't an issue)

John:

From a physics standpoint, there isn't a functional difference between the angled spar and the center pole designs (JR vs Glidecam) in terms of isolation of the panning effect. The rig only "knows" about the masses on top and bottom (camera and counterweight) while the connective structure becomes somewhat invisible from a performance standpoint. Given a quality gimbal and a properly balanced rig, the action of panning should not affect tilt or roll on either rig (tilt and roll are more likely to interfere with each other as they involve a greater displacement of the mass). Sort of heady stuff!

The small surface area of the JR gimbal helps prevent too much force from being applied (a common issue with novice operators), whereas the Glidecam allows for a "death grip" approach. However, an experienced operator would see similar results from the Glidecam given the same light fingertip operation as one (including yourself, from what I saw in your video) would use with the JR.

And you are correct, one does use slightly more force/pressure with a larger rig, although you might be surprised to see just how little force it takes, particular in pan!

Alan Herr May 18th, 2004 09:06 PM

VS 1 Demo

The VS1 Demo could be using a lot of slow motion put in during editing. That could make the shot seem smoother than it is.
Al

Alan Herr May 18th, 2004 09:06 PM

VS 1 Demo

The VS1 Demo could be using a lot of slow motion put in during editing. That could make the shot seem smoother than it is.
Al