DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   What kind of audio gear do you use with the PDX10? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/26734-what-kind-audio-gear-do-you-use-pdx10.html)

Ralf Strandell May 29th, 2004 05:27 AM

What kind of audio gear do you use with the PDX10?

-or the TRV950 -

The quality of recordings made with the PDX10 and its XLR box will increase when the Sony mic is replaced with something better. Adding an external mic preamplifier could also improve the audio. However, there must be a limit after which improving mics and preams doesn't make any difference anymore. One could pay ridiculous amounts of money without any benefit.

Mic placement, choosing the right type of mic, learning to edit sound and such *methods* are not a concern here. Lets keep this a hardware-only discussion.

So, I would like to know what kind of audio equipment you use with your camcorder and for what kind of sound. Was the improvent in sound noticeable? Would you like to upgrade further?

I don't own any good mics yet. Just the ECM-NV1. I'm considering getting some Audio-Technica mics (or better) during the summer.

Jim J. Donaldson June 2nd, 2004 09:01 AM

Mics for the PDX-10

I'm using a:

Beyerdynamic M88.

Shure SM58.

Shure SM11 Lav.

The M88 is great for VO work. It gives a deep rich quality to the recorded voice. The SM58 is the workhorse it is said to be. The 58 is flatter than the M88, but the M88 really pushes the low end. The SM11 Lav works well for voice. It is alittle thin unless you really mix for it, push the gain up a tad, but it seems very clean. The SM58 and SM11 are both at about $100 US, and the M88 is about $280 from B&H, it costs more but if you are into voice recording all I can say is WOW!

I am also using an Azden 500UDR UHF wireless setup with the 51XT transmitter. The 51XT adds phantom power over the 41XT. So far I have been really happy with what I have, so far. The only real upgrading would be to get a second 500UDR setup for wireless on both channels:)

And now on the the light kit.......

JimJohnD

Jay Massengill June 2nd, 2004 01:20 PM

So far I've used an AKG WMS80 beltpack lav transmitter with PR81 portable diversity receiver directly into the camera. Then I have a SoundDevices MixPre with two additional mics running into the second camera channel. The mics I've used with the MixPre are the AT873r, ATM31a, Rode NT-3, Sony ECM-670, Senn e835.
I'm pleased with all the audio I've recorded on my PD-x10, whether mic level directly into the camera or line level from the mixer. The PR-81 receiver is really hotter than true mic level, so I haven't done extensive work with a lower output mic directly into the camera. However in my testing, I haven't noted any undue noise with regular sensitivity mics that were placed appropriately.
I need to do more of this though under realistic conditions to say how far you can push up the gain before there is a problem.
The Sony mic that comes with the camera is actually pretty good, especially when compared to similar camera mics from JVC and Panasonic. Mounting it on the camera is of course a terrible handicap.
I've also used the built-in stereo mics when I have the camera mounted on my home-made stabilizer and audio isn't critical but minimizing the weight is. They work pretty well too for what they are.
I did have to purchase Scenalyzer software to capture properly for separate control of both audio channels.