DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   HC1000 -- various questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/30692-hc1000-various-questions.html)

Kyle Ringin June 9th, 2005 12:34 AM

Most CCDs (and maybe CMOS too?) sensors are sensative to IR light, that's why the IR LED illuminators work on those security cameras. Human eyes can't see that wavelength.

Goldfish are the only animal that can see both IR and UV light (I heard), so you could also try pointing the remote at a fish. Don't know what that would prove though...

Stephen Finton June 9th, 2005 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Ringin
Most CCDs (and maybe CMOS too?) sensors are sensative to IR light, that's why the IR LED illuminators work on those security cameras. Human eyes can't see that wavelength.

Goldfish are the only animal that can see both IR and UV light (I heard), so you could also try pointing the remote at a fish. Don't know what that would prove though...

Prolly make it float on its back. :)

Stephen Finton June 9th, 2005 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
Sorry to hear about the brain ache Stephen, but even so you now see clearly. Nobody's pulling your leg and yes - use the 1000 in auto and you won't go far wrong. Having asked the camera what it thinks the settings should be, *then* lock those settings for the shot. It's those that fiddle with the settings that get into the CCD smear and diffraction modes, whereas the camera designers have gone to great lengths to help you avoid these nasties.

tom.

So AUTO LOCK is for locking AUTO settings when in the ON position? I'm at work right now so I cannot confirm but I thought turning on AUTO LOCK put the camera in AUTO on all settings that can be controlled by the camera. I seemed to be able to use this to switch between auto mode and manual, with the manual settings remaining the same when I switch back to them.

So I guess my question is, how do I lock down my auto settings once the camera has selected them?

Tom Hardwick June 9th, 2005 09:02 AM

I'm going to have to assume that the HC1000 has a little three-position slider like its forefathers. This is marked Auto lock, then -, then Hold.

In the auto lock position everything's on automatic except the focus. You can still zoom of course and use the backlight and spotlight modes.

If you slide that slider to the middle position it *locks in* the auto settings the camera has chosen at that precise moment. It's locked the w'bal, s'speed and aperture but now allows you to vary any one or all of them.

If you then slide it to Hold it disables the buttons that give you access to these parameters - just like the hold button on a Walkman that disables the transport controls so you can skateboard without changing track.

To ask the camera for new advice, simply go back to Auto lock and then immediately back to the centre position. There, you've locked in a whole set of new parameters.

tom.

Boyd Ostroff June 9th, 2005 09:27 AM

There was an interesting article a couple months ago in Fortune Magazine. There are actually a number of people that can see IR light as well. For the most part, they're people who have had eye injuries and corrective surgery. Also some people who have operations for glaucoma IIRC.

Stephen Finton June 9th, 2005 09:44 AM

Quote:

I'm going to have to assume that the HC1000 has a little three-position slider like its forefathers. This is marked Auto lock, then -, then Hold.

In the auto lock position everything's on automatic except the focus. You can still zoom of course and use the backlight and spotlight modes.

If you slide that slider to the middle position it *locks in* the auto settings the camera has chosen at that precise moment. It's locked the w'bal, s'speed and aperture but now allows you to vary any one or all of them.

If you then slide it to Hold it disables the buttons that give you access to these parameters - just like the hold button on a Walkman that disables the transport controls so you can skateboard without changing track.

To ask the camera for new advice, simply go back to Auto lock and then immediately back to the centre position. There, you've locked in a whole set of new parameters.

tom.

It is 2-position. Either ON or OFF. No HOLD.

I don't think I've ever tried setting my camera for AUTO mode and then using the AUTO LOCK because when the camera is in MANUAL, AUTO LOCK->ON switches it to AUTO. AUTO LOCK->OFF switches it back to your original MANUAL settings. I will try setting the camera to auto in the menus and then switching AUTO LOCK to ON. This should lock what the camera has selected.

The HOLD setting is not there because there are hardly any manual buttons on the HC1000 to begin with.

Tom Hardwick June 9th, 2005 11:17 AM

I'm beginning to wonder if you bought the right cam. : -) An FX1 sounds right up your street Steve.

Stephen Finton June 9th, 2005 11:54 AM

Quote:

I'm beginning to wonder if you bought the right cam. : -) An FX1 sounds right up your street Steve.

My alley is in the poor part of town.

And besides, for all that HDV delivers, it's long GOP encoding is frightful. At 1080i it's 15 frames per GOP! That's 1/2 second that is lost everytime you have a a glitch on the tape!

Stephen Finton June 9th, 2005 03:03 PM

HC1000 LCD Backlight Button

I really like that there is a button to turn on and off the backlight for the LCD on the HC1000. I find I do not need a LCD hood yet because of it. It's right there on the edge of the screen, too! I was outside in very bright sunlight and was having trouble making out what I was looking at when I turned off the backlight and used the sunlight to light the screen!

Stephen Finton June 12th, 2005 11:10 PM

Really Liking the HC1000 now!

We shot on two seperate nights the same singer with the HC1000. "Very nice" is all I have to say. I will have to post clips but I am homeless in this vast cyberland.

Stephen Finton June 13th, 2005 11:17 PM

Here is the HC1000's manual.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...&append-uid=no

Boyd Ostroff June 14th, 2005 06:53 AM

Thanks Stephen, I'm turning this thread into a "sticky" so it will appear at the top of the page.

Stephen Finton June 14th, 2005 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Thanks Stephen, I'm turning this thread into a "sticky" so it will appear at the top of the page.

I knew you would. :)

Stephen Finton June 27th, 2005 09:27 AM

HC1000 surround mic question

Can you mix what you record with higher rez audio and then run it through Click To DVD or are you stuck with what you recorded onto tape? I'm guessing this mic won't be worth getting, if SONY doesn't let you add 48kHz audio to it later.

Is there any other way to extract 4-channel audio from a 12-bit DV audio stream or does the DV standard only consider it 2-channel, with an overdub mix on all other software out there?

Jay Donalds July 22nd, 2005 06:58 PM

To Hc1000 Or Not To Hc1000, That Is The Question

Hello Everybody!
This is my 1st time posting, been a reader for a while but this time I could use some feedback. I have the opportunity to purchase a HC1000 that's basically only been looked at, not even used for about $500 less than the B&H price. I read a review on camcorderinfo.net and they slammed it pretty hard, mainly on the touchscreen issue, but I'm sure many of you read they're review. I've been working on a couple projects borrowing a friends GL2, would like to get a cam to finish up a reality-documentry, and also use for other projects like it. My friend who has the GL2 and I have thought about teaming up to offer low budget event coverage to pay the bills. I figured the camera would be alot less intrusive that my friends GL2, and would make a good B CAM any work for hire we do. Anybody have any advice if the HC1000 at that price is a good way for me to go?