DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Looking for a WA adapter for my PDX10 -- Again! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/37063-looking-wa-adapter-my-pdx10-again.html)

John Hartney March 19th, 2005 11:18 PM

I use a Canon WD58 on my pdx10 and get good results, full zoom through, very little distortion.

Chris Thiele March 20th, 2005 12:03 AM

John,

I have read before about how much you like your wd58.
I had a look on the net and it does look quite good.
From my understanding it is a 0.7x and I am looking for something with a bit more wide angle - say 0.5x does canon have that in their range? Sony's High definition is also a 0.7x and their lower grade lenses have come in a wider angle.

Tom Hardwick March 31st, 2005 02:14 PM

Hey guys 'n' galls - I've just been sent two Red Eye wide-angle converters for test, the 0.7x and the 0.5x. I'll be reporting here soon. First impressions are good. Slim, light, beautifully coated.

tom.

Ignacio Rodriguez March 31st, 2005 04:01 PM

Good! Please de keep us informed and thanks!

Carlos E. Martinez April 2nd, 2005 03:14 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Hardwick : Hey guys 'n' galls - I've just been sent two Red Eye wide-angle converters for test, the 0.7x and the 0.5x. I'll be reporting here soon. First impressions are good. Slim, light, beautifully coated.
-->>>

That's a brand I didn't know until now, so I went do a Google search on it.

The one you got is 37mm? What price for each type? Zoom-through?

Carlos

Sean McHenry April 28th, 2005 10:28 AM

I just sent an e-mail to Bill at Century Optics. My question to him was can the Century zoom through WA adapter for the PDX10 do 16:9 without vignetting.

I will post any answer, or, Bill, if you are still listening here, skip the e-mail and just post it here.

I also asked if there were any stills in 16:9 we could look at. I want to know about the barrel distortion before I jump into one. I don't mind spending the money if it works correctly.

At work, we are dealers for all things broadcast and Century is one of the lines we carry.

Sean

Chris Thiele April 28th, 2005 04:20 PM

Tom,

How have you got on with the Red eye wides, I'm waiting with baited breath to know what you think of them.

Chris

Tom Hardwick April 29th, 2005 12:09 AM

Yes, sorry Chris. I've actually been and done all the photographic tests (on the 0.5x and the 0.7x in 58 mm fitting) and had a quick look at them in Photoshop. I'm also having a look at the 0.7x in 72 mm fitting on a DVX100A this morning, but I've been up to my eyeballs in work and simply haven't had time to do a write-up as promised.

My first impressions are very favourable indeed. The lenses are slim, light, beautifully coated and cause very little extra flare when used straight into the sunlight, unhooded. The images are sharp into the corners and I have no hesitation in recommending them

if

you're not too worried about barrel distortion. That's the only downside really. The 0.7x is so mild that it's really not a problem, but the more powerful 0.5x really cannot be used for any sort of architectural work unless - as I say - curving door frames and walls is your thing.

Of course the Red Eye isn't alone here - and even very expensive optics barrel distort to some degree. I did some test shots out in the garden and I compared the with and without converter shots, and in such conditions the barrel distortion was all but invisible.

Although these elements are indeed aspherics, the problem is (in my view) that they're not aspherical enough to control barrel distortion. But hey, Red Eye themselves don't make the claim that they don't barrel distort. The lenses come in a padded pouch that will withstand an earthquake and they work exceedingly well. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

tom.

Sean McHenry May 10th, 2005 08:28 PM

I never did receive a reply from Bill but I went ahead and ordered the Century Optics WA. Hopefully it will be here by the weekend.

More later.

Sean