DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PDX-10---$200 rebate at B&H (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/39056-pdx-10-200-rebate-b-h.html)

John C. Chu February 7th, 2005 09:54 PM

PDX-10---$200 rebate at B&H

Yeah...I'm doing a lot of web-window shopping lately...and itching to buy something...

Looks like the PDX-10 [after a newly announced $200 Sony rebate will be $1,599] at BH Photo.

That sounds soooo good.

But if HDV successor to the PDX-10 come out in three months at like $2,499--I'd really be kicking myself.

I was thinking about getting the Optura 30...but now the PDX-10 is two hundred cheaper it would be a better upgrade.

Man, to wait for a possible "HDV/PDX-10 successor" or get the PDX-10?

I have to control myself...B&H is only like 8 blocks from my work place...

:-)

Cliff Hepburn February 8th, 2005 10:54 AM

The only reason Sony would rebate it is because there's a new model coming out. i doubt that the successor will be HDV.
After seeing the successor to the 950, the new model might not be better than the one it's replacing.

On a different topic and forum the DVX100A has a $300 rebate.

Boyd Ostroff February 8th, 2005 11:19 AM

Cliff, I wouldn't automatically assume that. In fact, if you read the other thread you mention about the DVX-100a rebate, Jan from Panasonic categorically states that it isn't related to a new model. Consider also that Canon has had a rebate on the GL-2 for quite some time now, possibly a year.

Sony has hinted in various places that it's moving it's prosumer line to HDV so I'm not sure what we should expect here. I'm sort of doubting we'll see an SD PDX-10 successor myself. They may just be trying to spur some sales with the rebate. I'd be really surpised to see a pro version of the HC-1000 because it's really sort of a downgrade from the TRV-950 IMO.

Sony took just about everyone by surprise when the brought the FX-1 to market before it was expected. So who knows what tricks they have up their sleeves?

Cliff Hepburn February 8th, 2005 11:26 AM

Sorry, I guess I didn't mean to speak so matter of factly. It's just been my experience that whenever a significant rebate comes up, a new model comes out within 3 months.

John C. Chu February 8th, 2005 07:10 PM

Well after suffering horribly with using a one chip Hitachi Digital 8 camcorder since 2000,(and not knowing any better) I finally treated myself to a PDX-10 today and "bought" myself into the PDX-10 club. [After all the research here at dvinfo.net.]

[B&H Photo should really like me--I didn't ask for a demo--just told them what I want..I'm an easy customer.]

Woo hoo! The camera rocks!

(this was a long journey after considering everything from Panasonic dv953, GS400, Gs70, the Optura 30 and of course the HDR-FX1)

Of course, I had to watch the price of the camera come to my reach...
$2,195 down to $1,995 down to $1,799 and now with the rebate...I finally pulled the trigger.

Boy...this is one awesome camera....I just love the zebra pattern thing---but it looks like in full auto it works well awesome.

I can't believe the amount of detail if offers in the 16:9 mode...

yeah...the low light performance is less than stellar--i can see the grain(i checked it out on my 30" widescreen CRT)

Now...as long as a HDV pdx-10 brother doesn't come out too soon...
I'm a happy camper.

Boyd Ostroff February 8th, 2005 07:14 PM

Welcome to the "club" John - we'll show you the secret handshake later ;-) I'm one of those who paid $2,200 for my PDX-10 but have never regretted it. One you make a big decision like this it's best to keep moving forward and not look back. I think you got a great deal and you're going to have a lot of fun learning to use the camera. Congratulations!

Tom Hardwick February 9th, 2005 06:03 AM

"Boy...this is one awesome camera....I just love the zebra pattern thing---but it looks like in full auto it works well awesome."

That's the thing John - the PDX10 gives startlingly good results if left to its own devices. OK, you can fiddle with manual focus and w/balance, but it's the exposure side of things where Sony knows best. If you up the shutter speed by any appreciable amount you'll get dreadful CCD smear. If you add ND filters it won't affect the iris much - if at all - it'll only delete some of the inbuilt ND. Go forth and shoot.

tom.

John C. Chu February 9th, 2005 06:54 AM

After playing with it a bunch last night, I'm *really* happy/excited/pleased with this thing.(can't you tell from my previous post with all the bad grammatical errors?)

What is really ironic is that I've never actually seen real footage from this camera on a real set before buying this thing.

At B&H Photo, there are rows of 13" video monitors to test the cameras, but to really appreciate what the PDX10 can do...one has to see it on properly calibrated set.

And viewing footage on my 16:9 direct view HDTV--the PDX-10 is a revelation. [and maybe, just maybe--satisfy my lust for HDV]

All in all, I'm very happy.

Can't wait till the weekend.

Thanks everyone again, for all your insights.

John Hartney February 11th, 2005 04:52 PM

I agree the rebates are to spur sales of current inventories... The new sony hdv3 chip shoots 16:9 native with 3chips and I'll bet it is as close to a replacement as we'll see...

I haven't seen that cam, though. Does it shoot in native 16:9 in dvcam format as well? If so, it would be a good transition cam to have as a tool in my kit... my main cam is an Ikegami DV7we and the PDX10 can cut with it on some projects with clients approval.... I've even been thinking of getting a second pdx10 for a third cam for certain projects, which are all 16:9... But the new Sony hdv would bring the added benefit of hdv if I ever needed it...

It will probably take a while to catch on. Now to stay native, the hdv cam would have to be used to shoot, edit and replay, which is too much strain on the mechanics!

I may just pop for another pdx10... it is my favorite palmcam!

Boyd Ostroff February 11th, 2005 05:32 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Hartney : I haven't seen that cam, though. Does it shoot in native 16:9 in dvcam format as well? -->>>

The pro version (Z1) will shoot SD DV/SP and DVCAM, but the FX1 only does DV/SP and DV/LP in SD mode. See Chris' comparison chart here http://hdvinfo.net/articles/sonyhdrfx1/compare.php

For the price of the Z1 you could buy 3 PDX-10's ... :-)

John Hartney February 11th, 2005 08:36 PM

Thanks for the link... it does 16:9 in sd it looks like.. good.