DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   cant DECIDE and MUST, SOS from the road less travelled (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/39144-cant-decide-must-sos-road-less-travelled.html)

Scott Day February 9th, 2005 08:52 AM

cant DECIDE and MUST, SOS from the road less travelled

hola forum

ive been travelling with vx2100 and before that a vx2000 for the lat 20 months as i do an around the world trip

the 2000 died in india after a little rickshaw accident. i proceeded to buy a 2100. after my second lcd screen went out, im stuck. BIG TIME. they want 2k to fix and i told them to....well thats not important

think humidity has been a big part of my lcd woes. im not using this for weddings, its on buses, boats, you name it. rough road to boot. for this project, ive been using a wide angle so i could film myself, who knows but i think its been an ok image

its tough to get a camera to me, due to import duties. so a friend from the uk has agreed to bring it to me after i ship from the us

the problem is this. i wont be able to test the rig until its in my hands, and at that point my fate is sealed

im looking at the pd 10 or the 2100 route AGAIN. im attracted to the 10s size. travelling alone, the 2100 has put me in many bad situations, its big and obvious, great TARGET. also gets me branded as journalist.

im wondering how you all feel about the dependability, and durability of this camera, the 10.

id have to buy all new accessories and i do realize id SAVE on the camera over the 2100. new batteries, charger, wide angle.

obviously im paranoid, really stressed about not having any knowledge of this rig

ive gotta make a decision ASAP

id need some advice on a DECENT mic, considering im shooting myself and siturations in close range. ive been using a junky sennheiser mini input camcorder mic...i guess its OK

with my humidity, durability, and of course QUALITY in mind

what do you think? im desperate and appreciate any guidance you could give

best from buenos aires

scott day

Shawn Mielke February 9th, 2005 04:05 PM

Hi Scott. I've recently replied to you at Camcorderinfo.com. DVINFO.NET is one of the very best sources of info., particularly for the PDX10. Good luck!

Shawn

Boyd Ostroff February 9th, 2005 05:44 PM

Scott: My PDX-10 has been very reliable but I don't put it though the same sort of torture that you do! :-) I also have a VX-2000 and find the PDX-10 is 2.5 f-stops slower. In 4:3 mode the VX-2000 produces somewhat nicer images, but in 16:9 the PDX-10 is far superior.

I suspect the mono short shortgun mike that comes with the PDX-10 is at least as good as the cheap one you've been using. It's the same mike that comes with the PD-170. You can remove the XLR box and mike completely if you need to keep things small in discreet. It will still record audio from builtin stereo mikes.

Lenses and filters are much cheaper on the PDX-10 due to the 37mm size. Get the largest batteries - QM91. They last just about exactly 4 hours with the LCD screen on. Unfortunately there is nothing for the PDX-10 that gives you the run time of the NPF950 on the VX-2000.

The PDX-10 certainly feels solid and well built. It also records DVCAM which might be nice for your difficult environment. Since it's part of Sony's pro line you should also get faster service turnaround time.

Scott Day February 10th, 2005 10:29 AM

boyd

thanks for the thoughtful reply

im completely torn

i HATE and i mean HATE to have to repurchase accessories all over again. thats the downer with me and the 10.

i always shoot with the lcd open, always. ill get JACKED in some of the places i go to without it. these are real world, real TOUGH world settings sometimes. so the battery life issue is a factor with me

with the 10 id have to get a new wide angle as well

i feel stupid getting another vx series after going through 2 rigs. some of this i think ive figured out is due to humidity

the 170 is a beautiful camera as well

you are a wealth of information for a clueless schmo like me

im down to deciding on a new 2100 AGAIN, or a 170.

im pathetic, all over the map

pardon

sd

Ronald Lee February 14th, 2005 02:07 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Scott Day : boyd
i always shoot with the lcd open, always. ill get JACKED in some of the places i go to without it. these are real world, real TOUGH world settings sometimes. so the battery life issue is a factor with me
sd -->>>

why and how?

The PDX10 has the "look" of a consumer camera....you could get away with that. There is the XLR mounts that make it look a little more professional, but you can find ways around using it.

Scott Day February 14th, 2005 05:29 PM

i appreciate the advice sir

after an agonizing deliberation, and i mean AGONIZING

lol

i decided to go with a pd170

hope it doesnt get me in trouble

best and thank you

scott

Scott Day February 14th, 2005 05:34 PM

why and how?

ive been travelling around the world for the last 20 plus months

depending on the situation, we are talking about

when you use a higher profile camera, even a 2000 or 2100 with a shotgun, you are immediately labeled journalist

this can get you into trouble with various governments. like china or vietnam

it got me put into a room with lebanese security

it got a gun to my head on TIANNENMEN square

ive been stalked, tailed, chased all over the continent of africa

in rwanda people just HISS when they see a camera

so the lower profile the better

but it doesnt seem the tech has gotten there on the small stuff yet

so im gonna go with a 170 and make do the best i can

cameras are such a huge target in the 3rd world, its decades of work worth in just a MOMENT

hope this answers the question a little

scott

Matt Rickman February 14th, 2005 07:58 PM

why not get the VX2100.. it is a little lower profile than the PD170....

matt rickman

p.s. I am envious of your journey.. good luck with the rest of it!

Ignacio Rodriguez February 14th, 2005 09:35 PM

Scott, if you need something very small and light and almost as good as a 3 CCD, you could try the PC350 or a similar palmcorder with RGB color. As long as there is enough light you can get decent images from those little wonders. And since they cost less you won't be so dishearted if it get's stolen or malfunctions. About your VX, I am sure you will find better service options once you get home, and in the meantime you can buy a portable NTSC TV and hook it up to the VX in case you are able to use. Thus, you spend less money and end up with two cams, one big one great for low light work and which you can fix later, and one tiny cam that you can carry in yoor pocket. Makes sense?

Scott Day February 15th, 2005 07:56 AM

appreciate those thoughts as well

you are right about advantages of the small camera

unfortunately i have been given a 3 chip mandate. and i need some decent sound

i thought long and hard about the 10. maybe im blowing it with getting the 170. i guess it boiled down to feeling that the 10 might not be as DURABLE

theft is a big factor in what im doing, the 170 is a big drawback in that sense. and since im on the FLY the monitor situation wont work

i guess ill have a 2100 without an lcd. i still dont know how a camera can become CORRODED in 9 months

im not even gonna get into the fact that im a white guy with bleached hair wearing all black

lol

i make myself a huge target in that sense

but thats for another day

thanks

sd