DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   DVCAM One More Time (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/4385-dvcam-one-more-time.html)

Dennis Hull October 16th, 2002 08:39 PM

DVCAM One More Time

I have found references to DVCAM format in other posts but not exactly my novice question. it relates to my earlier question about 14 bit DXP feature of PDX10 Margus mentioned earlier. Before Margus kindly explained this to me I called Sony professional help line to ask about this and also asked if some features of PDX10 were available only in DVCAM format of PDX10 and not in MiniDV it also records in. Person had no clue and said I should read "DVCAM Family" brochure on the sony.com/professional website (under literature). The Sony brochure at least implies DVCAM has benefits over other digital formats (does not mention MiniDV by name) including wider track pitch of "15 micron vs 10 micron for the DV format" end quote. Also says DVCAM stays in true digital throughout processing while "other digital cameras go through digital to analog and back to digital supposedly creating some information loss. Possibly this is area where the 14 bit DXP has benefit?? And it seems this D/D "feature" of DVCAM would be more related to camera model/maker than just the DVCAM format-- ie the TRV950 would be D/D if PDX10 is D/D. Meanwhile, I have read elsewhere that DVCAM in and of itself is no better in video quality than MiniDV format (other cameral features associated with DVCAM may provide better video quality vs cameras associated with MiniDV). Only benefit mentioned for DVCAM vs MiniDV is more "robust" tape. Now, in the case of the PDX10 vs TRV950 "brother", are there benefits to be gained due to DVCAM ability of PDX10 and is the 14 bit DXP or DSP one of those benefits. Or in general, are there in fact benefits to be gained from DVCAM format in terms of video quality. Sorry for lengthy note, but I could use some knowledgable input-- that a novice like me could understand.

Andre De Clercq October 17th, 2002 04:40 AM

DVcam is a recording variation of MiniDV. The datastream is exactly the same in both cases. The recording is more robust (potential dropouts/tracking errors) because of the wider heads and the higher linear tape speed. The DVcam alternative is mostly applied on the higher end camcorders (better lenses,CCD, RAW processing...) and for this reason, and not because of DVcam, the picture can be better. If a camcorder has both versions only the signal robustness is different, not the initial quality. The 14 bit DSP is not related to DVcam. All CCD camcorder first digitize the analog CCD signals with a higher sample depth (up to 14 bit samples) for processing the RAW data. The more bits/sample the better and more sofisticated this processing can be, resulting in "better" images. After this processing the data are digitally converted into the 8bit standard (component) signals (4:1:1 or 4:2:0) known for DV formats. these digital signals are then further compressed etc..

Dennis Hull October 17th, 2002 08:13 PM

Thanks, DRE

Thanks for good explanation and helping me distinquish between advertising hype and reality.

Frank Granovski October 31st, 2002 01:27 AM

There's good reading here about miniDV and DVCAM:

www.adamwilt.com