DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PDX10 vs TRV950 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/4417-pdx10-vs-trv950.html)

Shawn Mielke December 4th, 2003 02:27 PM

The matter of the PDX10 and the TRV950

This is probably one of those questions that got it's answer well over a year ago, but I just gotta know so here it goes:

Anyone know if the bodies of the PDX10 and TRV950 are made of the same stuff? Or is the 950 consumer grade plastic?
Thanks,
Shawn

Tom Hardwick December 4th, 2003 02:35 PM

Both cameras are the same. Same lens and chip assemblies, same body, same in-built mikes. The PDX has no pop-up flashgun, but it does have the XLR adapter, two lens hoods and DV CAM recording (no LP mode though).

The PD100 used far more metal in its constuction, but the PDX10 at 1.42kg is no lightweight.

tom.

Shawn Mielke December 4th, 2003 02:53 PM

Gotcha, thanks Tom. I actually shoot with the PDX10, but couldn't find a succinct answer on materials used for the 950.

Shawn Mielke December 19th, 2003 11:52 PM

RELATED QUESTION

Here's another one.

Do the 950 and the PDX10 come out of the same manufacturing plant or whatever you call them, or are there separate professional and consumer "branches"? What I'm really wondering is if there are different quality standards that might be exemplified by these two units........

Shawn

Tom Hardwick December 20th, 2003 09:38 AM

I can't answer you for sure Shawn but my guess would be 99% that both camcorders would roll down the same assembly line. They have the same chassis and body panels, same lens/chip blocks and the small differences (XLR adapter, flash gun, body colour) are easy to keep track of.

To keep production numbers high, and therefore unit costs low Sony would run them together. The 16:9 is probably blocked on the TRV950 and can be unblocked by those with the firmware upgrades - I wouldn't have thought it worth Sony's time to design different PCBs or CPUs for the two cameras.

Again it's Sony's ability to subdivide the niche market that keeps them ahead of the competition. Any buyer - at whatever level and price-point - can walk into a Sony shop and find a camcorder that fits him. No other manufacturer can say that with such distain.

tom.

Shawn Mielke December 20th, 2003 04:49 PM

Makes sense to me, Tom. Thank you.

Jakub Charaszkiewicz March 16th, 2004 02:43 AM

TRV950 or PDX10?

Dear friends,

I will make a 1.5 year around the wolrd trip. I want to take small semi professional camera to document the trip and make a program for TV afterwards + before I will go for the trip I want to make short 15 min movie

I want to choose between the 2 cameras:
- sony pdx10p - $2000
- sony trv950e - $2550

The difference in cost is something for me. I am afraid that the camcoder will be stolen somewhere on the way and I will have to buy a new one, so chepaer is interesting. On the other side I would like to have better performance - to be sure that televison will accept the material. Is the difference (DVCAM, 16x9, ...?) worth paying? Is there any difference in low-light conditions between the two?

I would appreciate your help enormously, as I am great enthusiast, but still a novice.

j.

Ronald Lee March 16th, 2004 02:49 AM

Well, its usually better to pre-sell your show to a broadcaster if you want to get something on TV, but anyways..

Which broadcaster and which country?

If it's Europe, you would need to shoot in 16:9 as that is their preferred format. Now, it doesn't matter for North America really, although some broadcasters will tell you 4:3, but you can still get them to do 16:9.

That being the case, you should go with the PDX10. Where are you going to buy it? ITs funny, even though the price has dropped faster than the 950, its a better camera.

The 950 doesn't do 16:9 the same as the PDX10 as well??? I think I read something here (I'm new to this forum as well). It's a crop job? Did someone come up with a reliable hack for this, that won't screw up the camera, as they use the same chips as the PDX10?

Jakub Charaszkiewicz March 16th, 2004 03:01 AM

Big thanks for fast reply!

Country Poland. Sorry for a silly question, I thougt the television here (PAL) uses 4:3, not 16:9 (I might have learned from wrong sources)?

I will buy it in US (still PAL version). PDX10 offered by www.bhphotovideo.com and TRV950 by www.profeelvideo.com. I have bought my still camera there, everything fine. Resonable prices, no issues.

Is 16:9 - the only aspect in which PDX10 is better?

j.

Mike Moncrief March 16th, 2004 03:36 AM

Hello,

PDX-10 also has pro audio inputs (xlr connectors) and can record using DVCAM..Probably worth spending the extra money..

Mike M.

Jakub Charaszkiewicz March 16th, 2004 04:25 AM

Thanks again.

Some additional explanation. My end-goal is a material for TV. I think I will also have scenes in rooms, evening, etc. (Does it mean low light conditions?) I will not buy PD150 or VX2100 because for size is even more important criterion. (I will carry it everyday for 1.5 years)

Some additional questions:
1. Do I need 16:9?
In television (Poland) they told me that most of materials are still delivered in 4:3. Why do you think this feature is so important?
2. Is there any difference between the two camcoders in low-light conditions? If yes I will definately buy better.
3. Do I need DVCAM? - Is it worth paying additional $550 for having PDX10?

j.

Mike Sanchez March 16th, 2004 04:52 AM

I would pick the PDX-10 for its better audio.

The TRV950 audio (from the on board mic) is better than a typical consumer camcorder but does pick up a great deal of the camera noise, fingers poking around, etc.

Also, why not consider the GL2? Similar in price and offers some features that neither of the above offer.

PS - I own (in shop at moment) the TRV950 and have tested the GL2 pretty thoroughly.

If I had to do it again I would probably go GL2....

Jakub Charaszkiewicz March 16th, 2004 08:31 AM

Your Canon GL2 consideration added six new dimensions that I will need to consider now. Anybody agrees that Canon GL2, could be alternative for both pdx10 and trv950?

j.

Juan Parra March 16th, 2004 10:12 AM

jakub:

i think you have the prices reversed...

Ronald Lee March 16th, 2004 11:54 AM

If you really want to sell to a broadcaster, and it seems like you haven't looked into that yet, what I would suggest is talking either to someone who has (i.e. a producer) or calling the broadcaster you want to sell to and ask for guidelines.

Then you can get their delivery specs at the same time, 16:9 or 4:3.

Really, selling homemade completed shows on spec like this is a crap shoot.