DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Sony DCR-HC Series - Heaven or Hell? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/62720-sony-dcr-hc-series-heaven-hell.html)

Travis Cossel March 13th, 2006 03:06 AM

Sony DCR-HC Series - Heaven or Hell?

I found this series of consumer camcorders while looking for a personal camcorder today and fell in love with them. I own several Canon GL2's, but I wanted something smaller and less expensive. This series fits right in my palm pefectly and seems to get a pretty good image.

Does anyone own one of these (specifically the Sony DCR-HC26) and what are your thoughts? Especially what are your experiences with LCD touchscreens; ie, do they damage more easily since you are touching them?

Stephen Finton March 13th, 2006 09:27 AM

No problem whatsoever with the touchscreen. It doesn't take much force to press a button. I own a couple of HC1000s and am not really bothered by the lack of buttons and wheels on the outside of the camera. If you set your shot up before you start filming, like you're supposed to do, then having a touchscreen really doesn't matter. You're more likely to wear out a button or a wheel. Plus, the touchscreen can be calibrated on my HC1000s.

Travis Cossel March 13th, 2006 12:35 PM

Cool. The touchscreen was my real concern. I haven't heard anything about their durability, so I was a little concerned. I'm not too worried about setting up shots or anything. This is for personal use only, so I don't expect to be fiddling with the controls a whole lot.

What did you mean about calibrating the touch screen?

Stephen Finton March 13th, 2006 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel
Cool. The touchscreen was my real concern. I haven't heard anything about their durability, so I was a little concerned. I'm not too worried about setting up shots or anything. This is for personal use only, so I don't expect to be fiddling with the controls a whole lot.

What did you mean about calibrating the touch screen?

I think it is in case the pad and display drift. If you find yourself pushing buttons slightly off center, then you can realign where the grid registers the push underneath the button.

I haven't tried it yet because it's pretty spot-on as it is. I'm curious now, though. Wondering if it has a "sensitivity" setting, too.

Seriously, though. I don't know if this is a standard setting for all touchscreen SONYs. The HC1000 teeters on the brink of prosumerism.

Travis Cossel March 13th, 2006 02:16 PM

Ahhhh, okay. Thanks!

Davis Michael June 2nd, 2006 11:15 AM

Sony DCR-HC26

Hi,
I am not a technical person.
I bought this Sony DCR-HC26 two weeks ago. I have a I-link cable at home and connected this cam with my PC after installing driver cd (which came with sony package).
I tried my best but could not connect Cam with computer.Please let me know how should I solve this problem.Thanks

Travis Cossel June 2nd, 2006 11:33 AM

I haven't used the camera with my computer. I use my GL2's for transfer. Wish I could help you more.