DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PDX10 tips and questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/80040-pdx10-tips-questions.html)

Mark Morache January 16th, 2003 03:50 PM

PDX10 tips and questions

I borrowed a Sony V10 to print my project to tape. I hit a dropped frame about 40 minutes into a 50 minute timeline. I tried making an assemble edit just before the error, so I wouldn't have to start over.

The video edited without a glitch, in a perfectly invisible match frame edit. The audio however had a rather ugly pop. I had to start over.

Sony doesn't spec these little details. That's why I love these boards!

Does anyone have a PDX10 and can try this?
Does anyone have a PD150 and have had experience with this?

thanks!

--> mark

btw: I'm editing with FCP2 on my Powerbook G3 (Pismo), but this is more of an issue with the deck.

Jeff Donald January 16th, 2003 06:21 PM

Hi Mark,

It's great to have you as a member of the community. Generally it is not recommended to duplicate your posts. I deleted your post in the Mac NLE section. If this doesn't get any answers in a day or two, I'll move it to the Mac NLE section.

Jeff

Blip Pio July 9th, 2003 02:00 PM

Larger eyecup?

I just got a PDX10 (thanks to all those who answered my questions!) and am wanting to "trick" out a couple things.

First, does anyone know of a company or source for a larger rubber eyecup that would fit over or replace the one on the viewfinder?

thanks!

Kenn Jolemore July 10th, 2003 05:01 AM

http://www.dvshop.ca/camera/icuff.html
Has an attachment for viewfinders that may work for what you need
KennJ

Shawn Mielke August 6th, 2003 03:38 AM

16:9 is letterbox?

Did I read right somewhere, and is it true, that the pdx10's 16:9 image can be made letterbox on a properly authored dvd, for 4:3 tv viewing? Oh, let it be so!

Jami Jokinen August 6th, 2003 04:48 AM

Any anamorphic 16:9 footage can be flagged by a DVD authoring software to be seen letterboxed on a 4:3 TV.

When the DVD player recognizes the anamorphic source, the letterboxing is done by the player. If a widescreen TV is attached to the player, the DVD will be played in widescreen mode.

Graham Budd May 30th, 2004 10:24 PM

Your Help and / or Ideas please!

I Purchased a PDX10p a week ago on the strength of its 16X9 despite some of its other shortcomings such as low light performance. Also purchased a Century .65 wide angle.

At short notice I was asked to film the capture of endangered birds on an offshore island where they had been reestablished from near extinction. A sample of these birds needed to be captured for disease testing (blood, fecal material, fat, etc..) prior to a planned release on the mainland into their original habitat.

The shoot took place over 3x days with low light, 35 knot winds, squalls, etc. in fact we were delayed on the island an extra day because the boat could not retrieve the group. Incidentally this is Tiritiri Matangi Island, New Zealand.

Because of weather delays the job was pretty rushed. I was also required to capture bird sound and the explanations of the Scientists and vet while they were working (& keep out of the way)

This is what I did. Because I was in relatively low scrub I used a monopod or handheld. For sound I used a ME66/K6 shotgun which makes the PDX10 a bit awkward & knowing that it was going to rain hard & often I picked up on 'appro' on the day of departure a KATA raincoat (the one designed for the PD150) because with the ME66/K6 the KATA raincoat designed for the PDX10 was too short. Also used a radio mike on one occasion.

Issues I not quite sorted are:

Sound, I made up a 10db attenuator cable from mike to camera (as has been suggested for the PD150), seems required for voice but perhaps too much attenuation for bird sound. I set channel 1 to 'manual' and used auto or AGC on channel 2. Had to keep a plastic bag over the mike muff most of the time.

Pictures, most of the shooting required waiting (on ones knees) in the bush for birds to fly into what are called 'mist nets' which are very fine and in low light with no wind difficult for the birds to see. The light was very low except that one was usually pointing the camera skyward so big contrast problems and constantly changing light levels as clouds came over and I shifted position. Light levels, to an extent white balance and of course focus was changing.

Tried everything both manual/auto exposure and manual/auto focus both were difficult hand held and being on the move.

The footage captured is mixed; in good light (e.g. filming blood being taken in open shade) pictures look sharp with excellent colour. However, in the bush with contrast of sky to bush floor colours are pretty washed out. To hopefully assist with this I have since purchased a graduation filter that I will try later in the year when we return for the capture of the birds that are to be actually relocated.

I did not use the custom preset except to limit gain to 6db that I had read.

Your thoughts please.

SOUND: any suggestions on sound gathering especially where members have had similar conditions.

PICTURES: has anyone had similar experience with a constantly changing setting where there is little time to reset exposure and manual focus is quite difficult (hard enough to keep the birds in frame!) and suggestions on custom preset settings from their own experiences. To my eye the footage in low light seemed over exposed and colour muted. (I cannot identify gain on my NLE monitor) but perhaps this is certainly not helping.

Cheers & thanks in advance,

Graham
Auckland, New Zealand

Ralf Strandell July 18th, 2004 12:48 AM

Windscreens compatible with the PDX10

Which model of the "Rycote Mini Windjammer" windscreens is compatible with the PDX10s on-camera mic ECM-NV1?

Does the "fur" stay out of the picture? Can it be used with a 0.5x / 0.6x / 0.7x wide angle adapter? Is it effective outdoors?

I could also consider the Lightwave Miniscreen. What model of the Miniscreen? Does it stay of ot the picture when using a wideangle adapter? Does the situation change when a long "fur" is added?

Pat Chaney July 18th, 2004 04:01 AM

I don't know if it helps, but I use a Rycote Softie (long-haired version) on a K6/ME64 mic and it doesn't obstruct the field of view on the PDX10, even with a 0.65 WA adaptor fitted. It must be close to doing so though, and the short-haired version would be a safer option.

Brendan Sundry November 19th, 2004 07:19 AM

Audio levels on pdx10

I found on a shoot the other day i could not adjust the levels of audio on the pdx10, was this the cam or just me, if its me how do i adjust it, if its the cam what is the optimim recording level the boom mic should be peaking at on the bars that come on screen.

thanks

Juan Parra November 19th, 2004 08:28 AM

Are you talking about the sound levels using the XLR adapter?

Anyway more info can be found here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=30186

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=34219

Bob Bitteroot July 3rd, 2006 01:01 PM

pdx10 and Final Cut?

Hello. Does anyone know if the sony pdx10 can be used with Final Cut Express HD and/or Pro? It's not listed as a "qualified device." Thanks.

Boyd Ostroff July 3rd, 2006 01:12 PM

Welcome to DVinfo Bob! You should have no problems whatsoever. I've edited many, many hours of PDX-10 footage on FCP. Just because a camera isn't on Apple's list doesn't mean it's incompatible, only that it didn't go through their certification process.

Bob Bitteroot July 3rd, 2006 01:36 PM

Thanks for the info Boyd. Sounds good. I just saw, however, on B+H that they are now out of stock of the pdx10. Bummer. Anyone know if they'll have it again or is it a goner now?

Maybe I should just go with the A1U anyways. :)

Boyd Ostroff July 3rd, 2006 02:00 PM

The PDX-10 was discontinued by Sony last March - see the following: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=49260&page=3

As to whether B&H will get any more in stock... why not give them a call and ask?