DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   The short life of the TRV950 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/8149-short-life-trv950.html)

Frank Granovski March 29th, 2003 08:31 PM

The short life of the TRV950

It seems that the new TRV950 is being replaced. So the life of this new cam was short-lived---like 1 year or less---depending when the new model will hit the shelves. There is a huge price drop now in effect. The VX2000's price has also dropped in Canada---by about $500. This info is according to Bryan (beaser), and a couple of Canadian dealers. So long, TRV950!

John Jay March 30th, 2003 07:12 AM

FUD

I hear and see that DV itself is being replaced...

Frank Granovski March 30th, 2003 01:14 PM

"FUD." Maybe.

Phil Dale April 2nd, 2003 12:42 PM

I dont think Sony are into the practice of a new model every six months unless things have changed drastically, this is normally the domain of panasonic and there mx models.

Jeff Dobisch April 20th, 2003 01:20 PM

I believe Sony dropped the price $500 because the original MSRP was way too high for a camera of that type, no matter how high it's quality.

I believe the price now in effect is an appropriate price.

Frank Granovski April 20th, 2003 02:34 PM

Plus they're are difficult to get here in Canada. Maybe Sony will have more stock for the spring/summer.

Kenn Jolemore April 29th, 2003 05:18 AM

Looks like it will be at least another year Frank :0)
KennJ

Frank Granovski April 29th, 2003 01:55 PM

Yup. Looks that way. I wonder why 2 Sony dealers told Bryan B. it's being replaced? I know, I know...don't believe everything you hear! Now someone bonk me on the head so I wake up! :)

John Jay April 29th, 2003 04:12 PM

maybe
the short and curly life of ....

maybe the new pana will keep you busy - its got more in abundance of the things you didnt like about the 950, you know small, heavy, little chips, FUd

just kiddin

Tor Salomonsen May 1st, 2003 03:44 AM

Could it be that the people who wants a 3 CCD camera as small as the 950 generally don't want the Bluetooth thing? I am certainly one of those. I understand that there is a non-Bluetooth version (the 940?) but it is not pushed very hard. I certainly would have bought that had I known about it.

Kenn Jolemore May 1st, 2003 05:48 AM

In all truth it was not marketed in the way the 950 was and is unavailable in many countries.Price wise there seems to be litle difference between the two and it's not like blowtooth is a outrigger akin to a rubber nose.Mostly it is just of little consequence or use to the majority of buyers.I hear that it is all the rage in Asia so maybe that was the market it was ment for.Heck if I know but the camera it's self is rite nice to me.
KennJ

Jeff Donald May 1st, 2003 06:06 AM

I think the dealers we speculating on the price drop and misinformed Bryan. I suspect that Sony is trying to reduce inventory levels in this slow economy. Couple the economy with a company that recently lost close to 1 billion dollars and you get the picture

Frank Granovski May 1st, 2003 02:54 PM

Could be, Jeff. After reading (and posting) that article about Sony's 1B loss, I think their higher end 1 chip cams are going to be slim pickings. Yesterday I went to the main Sony Store to have a look at their new TRV70 and 80. They had none in. I asked them why, and the manager told me you can only buy them with a special order. So, so much for getting to look these cams over. The specs look good, but I'd like to put one in my hand for a test drive.

Now about Pana, Leo's Camera (Vancouver) is only going to bring in the new PV-DV953 (along with the DVX). Leo's claim that the new Pana models are too junky. And the new Canon 1 CCD cams---man, they are junky. That new Optura 20 is very disappointing.

Phil Dale May 4th, 2003 07:45 AM

Can anyone tell me what page in the TRV950 manual does it say that " in order to use any of the functions this camera has, you must first connect to bluetooth"; its seems this is so as it is such a problem to many when trying to side if they like it or not.

Tor Salomonsen May 5th, 2003 06:05 AM

Nowhere. And it wouldn't be true either. I've had a 950 for five months and have never been restricted in any way by not connecting to Bluetooth. I'm very happy with the 950 because I can look like a tourist and still shoot very good footage.