DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Tape for TRV-950?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/9193-tape-trv-950-a.html)

Jeff Farris May 1st, 2003 08:36 PM

Tape for TRV-950??

What's the verdict? Sony tape only? Doesn't matter?

I want to treat my new TRV-950 right.

Alex Knappenberger May 1st, 2003 08:48 PM

It doesn't really matter, but avoid Maxell and TDK, but there is ONE thing that you really should follow, is whatever tape you start with, stick to it, don't ever change brands. All of it is really actually manufactured by only a few different companies, and marketed under the rest...

I personally recommend Fuji tape, I find it to be great..

Jeff Donald May 1st, 2003 09:45 PM

This is one of the most frequently asked questions asked at DV Info. Each tape manufacturer has their proponents and detractors. Search the various manufacturers and you'll find numerous thoughts on the various tapes. The current thought is, as Alex points out, to pick one brand and stick with it. Sticking with one brand can also be searched for the numerous responses.

Karen LeClair May 2nd, 2003 04:28 AM

Check Frank's page on this, http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm

Tom Hardwick May 3rd, 2003 02:40 PM

When Sony put the pre-production TRV950 decks through their punshing endurance testing programme, take a pot-shot at what tapes they tested it with Jeff.

Correct. So now you won't go far wrong when you use the same tape.

tom.

Phil Dale May 8th, 2003 01:50 PM

I must be a real rare case but I have never had a problem with mixing tapes, Ive used them all in various cams including TDK and Maxell. They all produce equal quality there is no difference apart from price and I just dont see the problem. How come I can change various brands with Mini DV players, SVHS/VHS recorders etc and also get no problems and I know many people the same who mix em up. Why is it that DV has to be treat with kid gloves???? although I always make sure Im facing the East when I remove a tape from the cam, this can cause all kinds of problems.

Tom Hardwick May 8th, 2003 02:01 PM

The Mini DV tape deck is tiny Phil - that's why you have to treat it with more respect than a VHS deck. In good light open the door on your camcorder, hold your breath and take a peek inside. Those are delicate components, many of them moving, turning, spinning. VHS innards looks like a building site by comparison.

No problem with mixing brands and as you say, the quality oif the footage is exactly the same whatever you use. But cleaning the tape path of a Mini DV camcorder is a delicate, time-consuming proceedure, and I've found that if you stick to one brand of tape cleaning will be needed less often.

tom.

Phil Dale May 9th, 2003 09:16 AM

I have noticed the slight difference in size between VHS and Mini DV decks but I do not treat my mini dv deck any different to VHS/SVHS and have never had a problem. The stick to one brand theory seems to be another internet generated myth about DV. Buying your tape stock from sources that store the tapes correctly instead SAMS 100 tapes for £10 kinda store is half the battle in combatting tape heads being clogged up by supposedly mixing brands. It makes me wonder if tape stock differs in quality from Country to Country, I live in the UK and have no problems as do many others here, and yet people in the US report more problems when it comes to brand mixing. Thanks for the reply anyway Tom and Know doubt this issue will ramble for some time yet.

Jeff Donald May 9th, 2003 11:25 AM

A couple of facts that make DV different from S-VHS/VHS.

1) S-VHS/VHS are metal oxide tapes, mini DV is metal evaporated. ME tapes are made differently, using different materials and have different characteristics. ME tapes are more fragile, they stretch easier and the evaporation process produces a metallic layer that is considered less durable.

2) A dust particle has more effect on mini DV than S-VHS/VHS. The dust particle, when it falls on an S-VHS/VHS tape blocks a part of the video information, causing a dropout. The same size particle on a mini DV tape covers a larger area and causes a more severe dropout.

3) The miniaturization that mini DV requires, results in tape transports that are not a rugged. The material is thinner and much easier to bend or show effects of mishandling. Threads are not as deep on screws and back out much easier because of the miniature design compromises. This results in transports that require more frequent maintenance.

These are just a few of the more major differences between mini DV and S-VHS/VHS.

Phil Dale May 10th, 2003 05:49 AM

Thanks, but I do understand the principles of the different formats, your reply however outlines the reasons why tape should be purchased from reliable sources.