DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Cleaning VX2K and PD150 heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/11029-cleaning-vx2k-pd150-heads.html)

Garret Ambrosio June 19th, 2003 02:55 PM

Cleaning VX2K and PD150 heads

Do you guys recommend using a dry tape or using a chamois tipped swab and cleaning it this way using 99% or better Alcohol?

Do cleaning tape brands matter, I know that tape brands do, but does this apply for cleaners as well?

Is it 5 or 10 seconds to clean the heads?

Lastly, I know everyone says stick with a brand, but sometimes some manufacturers make tapes for others are there any "compatible" manufacturers?

Thanks.

Mike Rehmus June 19th, 2003 04:46 PM

Re: Cleaning VX2K and PD150 heads

<<<-- Originally posted by Garret Ambrosio : Do you guys recommend using a dry tape or using a chamois tipped swab and cleaning it this way using 99% or better Alcohol?

First use the dry cleaning tape made by the manufacturer. Use it for no more than 5 seconds at a time with a 1 minute rest between applications IF IT NEED IT. Why take the chance with another manufacturer's cleaning tape?

direct manual cleaning is not something you do often. AAMOF, you don't clean heads unless there is a problem. We have VX-1000's out at Solano Community College that have never had the heads cleaned. I've only done it to my cameras/decks once and that wasn't because of a problem.

That said, if you are a belt and suspenders person, I'd run a cleaning tape for no more than 5 seconds every 25-50 head hours.

Private label agreements for supplies change with no warning. I'd not take the chance. Sony DV tape is less than $5 per tape in quantities of 5 and up. Given the cost of new heads, why take the chance?

Garret Ambrosio June 19th, 2003 05:07 PM

Thanks Mike, how many tapes should I buy for an all day/night wedding shoot?

Mike Rehmus June 19th, 2003 06:59 PM

I now buy in 50 cassette quantities as they are a little bit cheaper at that volume.

I assume I'm going to be rolling tape for the full time and then add 50%. Good thing they are so small. If you are really talking about a 24 hour shoot, I'd take at least 20 tapes with me. Although I cannot imagine anyone wanting to view that much video, it's always the time when you weren't rolling tape that the key unexpected event happens. Don't forget your charger.

I did a grad night a few weeks ago in Dixon. Ran 3 cameras intermittently and ended with 4.5 hours of video for a 9 hour event. That's not a lot but one can only include so many shots of kids pulling slot machine handles and pitching TP rolls through hanging toilet seats.

Garret Ambrosio June 19th, 2003 07:11 PM

B & G do not want me to stop shooting the whole day, I figured at a 12-14 hour shoot. Someone called me up asking about a graduation, I've never done one of these before I figured it would be much easier than a wedding. Two camera shoot record everything. If not, let me know.

Funny thing is that with your 4.5 hours of video who will have time to sit and watch it all, I thought LOR was long!

Mike Rehmus June 19th, 2003 07:58 PM

I used three cameras. One fixed in the stands up where the newfolks normally sit, one down on the field and one roaming to catch cutaways and random events. Actually had 2 cameras up on the grandstands so one could cover the other during tape changes.

I don't know if the Graduation is easier than a wedding but it is definately shorter than most.

The trick is in getting paid enough to make it worth while.

Sam Houchins II June 29th, 2003 05:48 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus : I assume I'm going to be rolling tape for the full time and then add 50%. Good thing they are so small. If you are really talking about a 24 hour shoot, I'd take at least 20 tapes with me. Although I cannot imagine anyone wanting to view that much video, it's always the time when you weren't rolling tape that the key unexpected event happens. -->>>

That's what I love about the Firestore FS1 so much, 9hrs / 120 GB drive, chainable, non-stop, ready for your NLE recording. Ooh I want one so badly.