DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PD150 usage question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/11138-pd150-usage-question.html)

Philip Diaz June 22nd, 2003 02:53 PM

PD150 usage question

I have been luring within the forums for the past week. I signed in as a member today. I am still quite green behind the ears in terms of the subject matter and usage of "prosumer" video equipment. Here goes my first question.

From what I read, the PD150 seems to be a versatile video camera. People have been using the camera for capturing weddings, interviews, and documentary work. A person remarked that the PD150 does not film well from inside a moving car. Are there subject matters that this camera would do poorly?

-Philip

Mike Rehmus June 22nd, 2003 04:22 PM

No camera does very well from a moving car unless they have a good mounting system. The camera is long and hard to hold steady as compared to smaller cameras.

Exposures work as with any other camera. Not certain what the context is so that's about all I can say.

Where the 150 will not work with Supersteady shot on is in the presence of strong electromagnetic fields. Drives the mechanism wild.

Were you going to do ENG work, I'd advise something different and quicker handling when in manual mode. It is also a fairly large device so it is hard to maneuver in small areas.

I also find the zoom range to be a bit short which prevents me from standing at the back of an auditorium and setting exposure or white balance. I have to take the camera closer to the stage, even in fairly shallow auditoriums in order to accurately accomplish those tasks. An eighteen or twenty X zoom would be appropriate for those applications.

The lens isn't quite wide enough for small spaces. So many of us have auxiliary lens. Many more so that those with Telephoto adapters.

Still, the price vs performance ratio is very very good with this camera.

You really have to define what you want to do before you select a camera.

Sam Houchins II June 29th, 2003 05:33 PM

Sony's zoom adequate when augmented?

>>I also find the zoom range to be a bit short which prevents me from standing at the back of an auditorium and setting exposure or white balance. I have to take the camera closer to the stage, even in fairly shallow auditoriums in order to accurately accomplish those tasks. An eighteen or twenty X zoom would be appropriate for those applications.<<

I was hoping to compensate with a 2x adapter in such situations. The theater situations I've been in had such bad lighting for videography, that a high zoom camera with worse lux rating than the Sony's seemend like peddling backwards. Am I hoping for too much getting a 2x lens for a vx2000 or pd150 to reach up there?

Mike Rehmus June 29th, 2003 06:01 PM

One normally has to expose for the faces in any theatre situation. You will usually find the faces to be quite bright due to the theatre specifically lighting for faces.

Therefore, a less capable camera in terms of light sensitivity may give you a quite good picture.

Sam Houchins II June 29th, 2003 06:05 PM

For the sake of buying a 2x adapter rather than a whole new canon, would you expect or have you had good results with a zoom add on for the Sony? I see your point, though re: faces' lighting. Thanks. =)

Mike Rehmus June 29th, 2003 06:28 PM

I have not experimented with a 2X adapter since normally, my problem is in getting wide enough.

Probably just buy a longer normal lens for the DSR-300 and leave the PD150 alone.