DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   pd 150 maintanence (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/11400-pd-150-maintanence.html)

Jeff J. Smith June 28th, 2003 08:18 PM

pd 150 maintanence

I have had my PD150 for some time, not alot of use:

OPERATION
25 X 10

DRUM
6 X 10H

TAPE RUN
4 X 10H

THREADING
18 X 10

However, my last few times out has convinced me how much I like this camera, and how I want to start shooting more. I want to extend the life of this cam.

How often should I use a tape head cleaner?

Can blowing air into the guts of the cam cause problems, or is there a prefered technique (I turn upside down and do short bursts from just outside)

Does having the power on wear it out? (ie use it to send computer vid files to an ext monitor via firewire) Not shuttling/ capturing tape

Jeff

Zac Stein June 28th, 2003 08:28 PM

The only parts of the camera that are of extreme concern, are moving parts. Simply having the camera powered up will not be of huge concern, there is always the slight possibility of heat causing ware of the wiring, but that is so minimal and only after thousands of hours of use.

Always just be level headed and careful, as you would with any expensive gear. Leave it in a cooler dry place, no direct sun yadda yadda yadda.

Leaving batteries or tapes in it for extended periods of time without use is not reccomended, just like any other electrical good.

Basically don't fix what is not broken, if it works fine right now, then leave it working fine. Start to do head cleaning and all that when they are dirty.

It is a fantastic camera, and a total workhorse, it will most likely outlast us.

Zac

Mike Rehmus June 28th, 2003 10:35 PM

I have to temper Zac's comments with the observation that all electronic equipment has a design lifetime. The figure is usually described as the MTBF or Mean Time Before Failure. the MTBF is the number of operational hours at which, statistically, one-half of the equipment population will have failed, and after which, the other half will fail (statistically).

So using the camera in a powered-up state, does shorten its life. However, the MTBF of the transport is usually much shorter than the MTBF of the electronics. But they will eventually fail.

I'd use the camera were I you. It is more likely that new technology will cause you to place the camera on the shelf than the electronics will fail.

In order of probablility, I'd expect the transport to fail first, the flex circuits to the viewfinder and LCD panel to go next, then the lens mechanicals, then the electronic components. The wiring shouldn't heat up substantially in any case or there is a design error or circuit fault.

Zac Stein June 28th, 2003 11:19 PM

Mike, Yeah all i meant is, the only part that will most likely fail it is usable lifetime would be the drive mechanism, and parts associated with movement, powering the thing up will be using parts of the camera that will most likely last the longest.

Zac

Jeff J. Smith June 28th, 2003 11:50 PM

thanks for the feedback, I do like the tone of "just use it". Last month I was shooting some behind the scenes footage for a feature movie. Several crew members were very familiar with the camera, praised it and then went into the XL-1 vs PD150 discussion. I got home and was very happy with the footage. Great camera.

jeff