DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Record through 2100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/120803-record-through-2100-a.html)

Jeff Harper May 2nd, 2008 04:47 PM

Record through 2100?

I am looking for a low tech way to record an extremley small portions of copywrited DVD. Is there a way to record from a home DVD player to my 2100? And no I'm not breaking the law etc., this is for a personal family project.

I have tried using AnyDVD, etc. but the audio is out of sync and getting it right is way too complicated for what I need to do. I am trying to think of a way to record real time. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Allen Plowman May 2nd, 2008 04:57 PM

If I wanted to make backup copies of my DVD's, not saying I would, but if I did, I would rip them on my computer using a program like "dvd decrypter version 3.5.4.0" a free software that allows the protection to be bypassed. then you could either output from the computer to the camera, or burn it to a disc to play back on your dvd player to your computer. only to be used for legal backups, check your local laws. :)

Jeff Harper May 2nd, 2008 05:03 PM

I already have two decrypters, unfortunately. The audio becomes out of sync with this DVD. I've read ways to fix it but it's a multi-step process and requires additional software.

Unless you're saying the program you mention can compensate for the sync issue. I need to insert this footage into some family movie we're making. It's almost impossible to sync up the audio, it's really messed up.

Doug Okamoto May 2nd, 2008 05:14 PM

Well not that I recommend doing this but you could just use a LCD and record with your camera directly from the screen. The quality will be about the same as ripping the DVD (since this is a home project it probably won't matter all that much) and you will have it directly on tape already without the additional step of transfering it from your computer to your camera. Make sure that you light the LCD very well, even using a new backlit LCD would be better.

Allen Plowman May 2nd, 2008 05:16 PM

I have not yet had an out of sync problem. either they decrypt, or they do not. I knw there are mechanical inline filters to remove protection from VHS, I have not tried it with DVD. can you rip it to your hard drive, bring it into a video editing software and get it back in sync?

Jeff Harper May 2nd, 2008 05:30 PM

The issue I'm having is that when I extract the mpeg2 file from the disc it comes out out-of-sync. I can copy the disc fine, I suppose, but don't want to. And it won't sync up in post. It has to do with frame rates and stuff, it just comes out really screwed up that way. I have tried to sync it up in Vegas, but it won't stay in sync. The video plays back faster than the audio. I have obviously tried to slow down the video and then sync it up, but it won't stay in sync that way either. I'm pretty good at syncing up stuff I thought.

The idea of filming the TV, etc., is not bad though. I never thought of it! I do have the encrypters but believe it or not I've never even used them before this project, as I normally have no use for them, I just like to say I have them. I have the newest version of AnyDVD and CloneDVD and I was disappointed it didn't work better, though from what I have read while researching this is that it is not the fault of the decrypter or copier.

Allen Plowman May 2nd, 2008 05:37 PM

I think it sounds like Doug has a winning solution.

Jeff Harper May 2nd, 2008 05:41 PM

Yep. I think you're right.

However for future reference I really want to find a way to record from DVD in real time. I want the ability. I hate when I come up with an idea and can't find an answer on how to implement it!

Doug Okamoto May 2nd, 2008 06:12 PM

Rippers are becoming obsolete all the time. If the software manufacturers aren't being sued by the MPAA then the encryption scheme changes and the software is useless. Currently Sony has a encryption that I don't think has been broken (yet) where the first packet is 0 which tells the ripper there isn't any info on the disc! It's been a while since I had to research this so I don't know if someone has come up with a ripper to counter it or not.

I think though in the very near future (5 years or so) that we will be going to a media-less feature film presentation. I know the MPAA has been talking about it for a while now hence things like the iTunes (and Adobe Media Player) rental and purchase schemes will continue and grow.

I want to make it clear that I do not advocate breaking anyone's copyright! I don't want it done to me so I won't do it to others.

Jeff Harper May 2nd, 2008 11:10 PM

I hear what you're saying Doug. Luckily it is still legal to copy pretty much anything for personal use that we paid for personal use. You just can't give it away or sell it.

Adam Gold May 3rd, 2008 10:45 AM

Am I missing the obvious? If your DVD player has composite or S-video out, or your TV has "Monitor out," you can dub directly to the cam. There should be no copy protection on analog, should there?

Page 89-90 of your manual.

Jeff Harper May 3rd, 2008 10:53 AM

Thank you Andrew.

Jeff Harper May 4th, 2008 04:23 AM

Actually when I tried it, COPY INHIBIT pops up on the camera and it won't copy. Amazing.

Adam Gold May 5th, 2008 12:36 PM

Hm, that's surprising. Just goes to show that the obvious answer isn't always the right one. You did this via the yellow composite output? From both DVD player and, if available, from the TV set? What model DVD player are you using... perhaps a glance at the manual reveals a way to get analog out to tape.

What about one of those dual format DVD/VCR combos? They generally are designed for DVD to VHS dubbing, or at least they used to be. Then there should be no problem going from VHS to DV -- even though you lose a generation it should still be better than aiming a cam right at a screen... I think.

Further checking shows mentions of the COPY INHIBIT message in the manuals for both the 2100 and 2000. I thought this was only for digital, but apparently not. Looks like your best solution might be via software.

Or -- and I'm really not advocating trying to rip copyrighted material, although it seems your application is completely benign -- you might try using the RF out to a VHS machine, and then composite out from that to the cam.

Jeff Harper May 5th, 2008 12:41 PM

I used the out from the DVD player, a Toshiba. My set doesn't have an out, but I would hope that would work. It was freaky that the DVD player "knew" and put a message on the LCD. I'm exchanging the TV today for reasons not related to this, but I will look for one with outs.