DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   VX2000 vs. PD150 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/12891-vx2000-vs-pd150.html)

Scott Osborne August 5th, 2003 08:57 PM

VX2000 vs. PD150

Before you lock this one Mike, I did a search and really couldn't find anything about this.

I use a PDX10 and 2 Panasonic EZ30's for weddings. I think its time to replace the EZs for something a little better in low light. I rent a PD150 from time to time and have experiance with that. However I have never used a VX2000. I am ready to buy but I am looking for a compelling reason to purchase a PD150 over a VX2000. Besides the B&W veiwfinder and the XLR input box are there any big reasons to spend the additional $700 for the PD150....Other than the DVCAM too, I really see no purpose to it. If I need to output something to DVCAM tape for delievery I use my DSR-45.

I really do like the B&W viewfinder but surely there must be another big differance to justify the larger price.

Thanks,

Frank Granovski August 5th, 2003 11:40 PM

The VX2000 is less costly, and if you wanted to really improve the audio, the BBC audio fix can only be done to the VX2000. Both are good cams, but personally, I don't see a big improvement with the PD150, other than what you have already mentioned (XLRs, DVCAM & B&W viewfinder).

Don Bloom August 6th, 2003 10:05 AM

I agree with Frank, except I think you'll find by the time you pay for the BBC fix and get an audio adapter that can run more than one mic at a time you might find the price difference is not as great as it would appear. In either case I don't think you can go wrong-hell, I still love my old VX1000, not as much as my 150's but still...;-)

Don

Mike Rehmus August 6th, 2003 12:05 PM

Before I start, let me say that I like the VX2000 and were I not having to make money with my cameras, it is likely the camera I would purchase for myself.

However.

The sum total of the differences is that, for me, there is no justification (in the case of professional use) in buying the 2000 if one can afford the 150. When all is said and done, and the 2000 is decked out to act like a 150 (and it really cannot) the price difference is much less than the price of the cameras.

The obvious differences are the B&W viewfinder which is a major functional improvement over the color viewfinder.

There is a lot more difference than just a pair of XLR connectors in the sound department:

- Individually switchable Phantom power
- switchable attenuator for the Microphone input
- Separately adjustable input levels
- Each XLR input can separately be switched to line or microphone levels
- Channel one XLR can be switched to input to both audio channels
- A separate microphone mount that can be replaced if you require a longer mount leaving the shoe mount free for mounting a light.

I have shot a lot with a VX1000 using an XLR adapter (which from a shooters standpoint, is like shooting with the 2000 in many ways) and a lot with the 150. If, like me, you need to concentrate on the work and not the equipment, the 150 doesn't need the extra baggage required by the 2000.

Did I mention I hated that XLR adapter on the bottom of the camera? Not because it didn't work, but because it was always in the way and it was too easy to change a setting or flip a switch.

Also, if you need support, the Sony Pro support is much better than the consumer support. Can make a difference sometime, I know it did for me.

Scott Osborne August 6th, 2003 12:55 PM

That does make sense.....All of your responses were helpful, but I think Mikes really helped me make up my mind. One thing I love about my PDX10 is the audio quality. I haven't ever used a TRV950 to see (or hear) if there is a difference in the audio quality. But If its really going to cost me more than $250 to get the VX2000's audio to match up with my PDX10's then its worth the monry to purchase a PD150. On of my problems with the Pana Ez's is that the audio is really lacking when compared with the PDX. I always find my self enhancing the audio in post to match up better....A time consumming action that I would like to avoid. Not to mention its a good thing to keep things simple. The less things that are attached and plugged into my camera the better. I like that with my PDX10 I just have to take it out of the bag..clip on the light and shoot...I dont have to attach 10 other things.

Professional equipment also get more of a serious response from people I have noticed. Its nice to have the dark grey color and "DVCAM" label on the side. ....That way people will stop asking me if I bought my camera from Best Buy too!!

Why is it that since I joined this forum I have started spend more money on gear??

Many Thanks,

Gints Klimanis August 6th, 2003 02:10 PM

What's the BBC audio fix for the V2000 ?

Mike Rehmus August 6th, 2003 05:28 PM

It is a good fix that bypasses the internal preamp and replaces it with a pre from a 3rd party IIRC.

The only question I'd have about the mod is what is Sony's position on this? Certainly it voids the warranty but what about future repairs? Will Sony repair a modified camera? Or is it an orphan that has to be repaired somewhere else?

Gints Klimanis August 6th, 2003 05:53 PM

Mike, thanks for the info.

Here are some links I found on the BBC audio mod for vx-2000:

http://www.global-dvc.org/detail.asp?item=177

Also:
http://www.glensound.com/

Click on SITE INDEX by GS code

Then search for GSTN1

Ralph Morris August 9th, 2003 10:59 AM

In addition to Mike's comparison of the 150/2000, the PD150 has manual control over shutter speed, aperature and gain simultaneously. On the VX2000 you can only control two of the three with the camera making the other adjustment automatically.

Also, while it doesn't make much difference to me, the PD150 has SMPTE time code that the 2000 lacks.