DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   How to spot a gray market unit? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/13305-how-spot-gray-market-unit.html)

Tony Moe August 15th, 2003 11:54 AM

How to spot a gray market unit?

Just what is a gray market unit, and how can you identify one? I know the best way to avoid them is to buy from a reputable dealer, but what about used units? It makes me uneasy when I see VX2000s for $1300 new at digital liquidators. I assume these are gray market, but how can you be sure? I called SonyStyle and the guy did not even know what gray market was...

Thanks!
Tony

Nathan Gifford August 15th, 2003 12:51 PM

Buy from reputable dealers (like the sponsor here). When you see a piece of gear seriously below the street price that should be your first warning.

Stephen Schleicher August 16th, 2003 12:59 PM

Also be aware that if the manuals are all in japanese, that would be a dead giveaway.

Alex Zabrovsky August 27th, 2003 01:32 PM

Stephen, what di you mean by that ?
A used (repritedly in good shape) VX2000 brought from Japan (a japanese version) - what can you say about it ?

Alex

Stephen Schleicher August 27th, 2003 04:21 PM

If the manuals are all japanese, that is usually a dead giveaway that the product is gray market.

Not that there is anything wrong with gray market, but menus and manuals in japanese are a bit hard for me to read and figure out. ;)

Alex Zabrovsky August 27th, 2003 10:13 PM

Yeah, if you're not prepared to that...

Regards, Alex

Jeff Donald August 28th, 2003 05:55 AM

Usually you can call the manufacture and ask if the dealer your buying from is an authorized dealer. Most authorized dealers won't sell gray market. If they do, they can lose their dealer agreement with the manufacture. Some manufactures even go so far as to help the buyer determine the cameras status, with the help of the serial number.

Nick Kerpchar August 29th, 2003 03:53 PM

Tony,
In response to your original question about the Gray Market, you can go to the following site and get about all the info on Gray Market that you would ever want:

www.antigraymarket.org

Good luck, Nick

Jason Tammemagi September 2nd, 2003 01:51 AM

I think you'd have to ask yourself if you really have a problem with a grey market unit. Basically you buying a grey market unit is taking advantage of the global marketplace - they are legit units, just usually from a country where they are available cheaper. The manufacturers also take advantage of the global marketplace for cheap labour etc so I don't see what the problem is.

The real disadvantage has already been mentioned - the language issue. If you don't know how to use the camera then you may have a problem.

Jay.

Jeff Donald September 2nd, 2003 05:38 AM

Grey market cameras Do Not have a US warranty. It might have an International Warranty and could be sent to Japan or the country of export for service. It might not be a big deal for a casual home video taper. But to a pro, the major down time of having the camera repaired in Japan would be a problem.