DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   ME66/K6 with vx2000 still worried here (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/13388-me66-k6-vx2000-still-worried-here.html)

Jamie Morris August 17th, 2003 08:18 PM

ME66/K6 with vx2000 still worried here

I noticed, after buying good headphones, that there is residual noise with this set up. It's a lot like the sound that tape cassettes make when Dobly noise reduction is turned off. The sound is not so bad when played back, but I would like to fix this before post.
THanks,
Jamie

Jamie Morris August 18th, 2003 11:27 PM

Any help?

Keith Loh August 18th, 2003 11:32 PM

Is your camera plugged in to an adaptor (i.e. to the wall) or is it running on battery. Maybe it is bad power?

Bryan Beasleigh August 19th, 2003 01:25 AM

It could well be the headphone preamp. Try the tape on another source and compare.

Mark J Phillips August 19th, 2003 11:33 AM

ME66/K6 with vx2000 still worried here

Dont let the audio out via the headphone jack influence what you "think" is going on the tape.

The headphone and "audio to tape" audio circuits are different.

As BB said Monitor the audio output on playback to get the real story on teh quallity of the recorded audio.

Matt Stahley August 19th, 2003 01:41 PM

I would agree with you MArk and Bryan. The phones preamp is pretty noisy on the VX2k definitely not made for critical monitoring.

Jamie Morris August 19th, 2003 09:28 PM

yeah thanks guys I think I know what you all mean. The play back is actually fine. I just wonder is there a more suitable way to monitor the "noise" factor since the hiss you hear is artificial, what is really being recorded cant be heard till after it's too late.
Should ok though.
Jamie

Mark J Phillips August 19th, 2003 11:26 PM

Dont know about the VX but on the PD150 you can output the Composite(video, right. left audio) audio out to a mixer and monitor that via headphones form the mixer.

This works well when on/at a fixed location where you can setup a mixer, but if you are "run'in and gun'in" on the move, you just have to trust(from past experience) that your mikes/placement are good and working and your audio levels(no AGC) are set to proper level that you know(again from experience) will get you what you need.

Its like the old days of shooting still photography with film cameras: You practiced and wasted a lot of film to learn what it took to get teh shot. Then waited until the film came back form the lab to see how well you learned your lessons.

Its like the way I play pool or golf: Poke and Hope ;o)

Jamie Morris August 24th, 2003 06:37 AM

Thanks,
I believe that is my only option. I cant afford a mixer yet and Im running around chasing motocycles anyways. So it's tough to be meticulous.
Jamie

Mark Goodsell August 31st, 2003 09:04 AM

Swing over to the DV.com 'audio' forum and so some searches on ME66. Or ask Jay Rose to help explain wiring an XLR to mini and putting a capacitor in the xlr jack. I had to do this and it quieted my audio right down. He explained it and the wiring. Easy to do. Anyway, better suggestion would be to read his book on "Producing great audio for digital video." Really a ton of info that I never even thought about. Plus little tips and tricks and wiring info like I explained above. The book is definitely worth the time/money in my opinion (and others that have read it). Good luck.