DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Vx 2100 Down! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/136015-vx-2100-down.html)

Mike Graves October 13th, 2008 11:37 AM

Vx 2100 Down!

I recently bought a VX2100 on e-bay.I swore I would never buy used on line but the seller has been very reputable on e-bay so I went for it.The camera arrived, not a scratch on it, the heads were dirty but a headcleaner tape fixed that quick.I charged the batteries took it down to the beach to shoot some surfing.I NEVER dropped it or got it near the sand.Within about 2 hours,shooting maybe 20-30 mins. of tape total, I turned it off to switch tri-pods.I went to turn the cam. on again and NOTHING, I cannot get it to power up at all.
Ive tried numerous things and nothing, it wont even eject the tape with a/c plugged in.Sony wants alot for a flat rate and I spent most of my saved money on buying the cam.
Has anyone encountered this problem before.Ive e-mailed the seller who insists the cam. was in perfect working cond. when he shipped it.It came in a cam. bag but was inside a big box with no padding.Could something have happened during shipping?Ive e-mailed paypal and they have not gotten back as of yet.
Also I am in So.Cal. and will be looking for a place to get the cam. looked at.
Thanks for ANY info. that could help.
Mike

Chris Barcellos October 13th, 2008 12:10 PM

I have a VX2000, and have had issues with my switch. If I push switch to far, it will go dark. Try adjusting switch slightly back and forth once you get it in on position.
I assume you tried it with power cord connected, because battery may be dead.

Is it possible battery ran dead, and the charger isn't charging ?

I don't recall if there is reset switch on that camera (don't have my VX here), but scour the camera for such a recessed button, push it and see if that changes situation.

Bob Hart October 13th, 2008 12:12 PM

Mike.

The vendor and yourself might both possibly be victims here.

If the camera was in storage unused for a period of time, the moving parts in the tape path might have stiffened up. You mentioned the heads needed a cleaning tape over them. Chances are the rest of the transport may need a clean and alignment as well.

If the transport has jammed, it is more likely the camera powers up momentarily, does some doctoring on itself, finds a motor pulling too much current from a jam and shuts down again before more damage is done.

The overload might then have taken an internal fuse down.

I presume you changed batteries. If they are old, one or both may be a dud. They might pull the power pack power supply to the camera down.

The connecting surfaces on the battery bay pins might be a bit grubby and resistive.

As much as it is vexatious and a grief, getting the camera serviced is your likely only option.

Chris.

That's a good point. Does the VX 2100 have the same arrangement as the PD150 with the record switch having two detent positions, step 1 for normal record, step two seems to put the thing into standby with no motors running and the frame rate is slow. I have never examined that function myself.

Mike Graves October 13th, 2008 12:20 PM

Ive treid the reset and all 3 batts. worked on another Sony I own.Shouldnt it work on a/c alone anyways? Thanks about the blown fuse comment that would make a little more sense to me than it getting banged around during shipping.I was hoping someone had the same problem and I wouldnt have to send it to Sony.When I bought the cam. the seller says it was in PERFECT working condition when he shipped it.Hate to be so skepticle of someone but I also dont feel like being taken for my hard earned cash.....Anyone know of a reputable repair place in Orange County,Calif.?

Chris Barcellos October 13th, 2008 01:29 PM

Yes, it will work with ac only....

In my opinion, the switch on my VX2000 is crappy. To get it to stay on, I have to adjust between the stops. Eventually, I am sure I will lose that capability. Mod time ????

Could have been caused by me not realizing the switch lock was on, and forcing the switch.
Did not even realize that was there until I looked real closely years ago....

Mike Graves October 13th, 2008 07:07 PM

Thanks for all of your info. Chris and Bob.
I kind of ruled out the switch due to the fact that, with the a/c plugged in and the cam. off it should still show batt. charge or mins. on the batt.
Im pretty sure thats correct.I really do not have the money right now to take it in but sitting here looking at my new dead cam. is miserable.
Thanks again
Mike