DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PD170 repair/firewire issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/136794-pd170-repair-firewire-issue.html)

Douglas Engle October 28th, 2008 07:25 PM

PD170 repair/firewire issue

Hi,
I have a PD170 and the firewire connection does not work anymore. It shoots fine, and I can capture with another camera or deck.

I took it to a tech in Brazil who told me that the firewire card inside the camera is probably burned out because I connect it to the 6-pin firewire connection of a Powerbook camera, which apparently sends out an electrical charge upon connection and which the camera cannot handle. Anybody ever hear of this?

Anyone know a reputable repair place in the USA?

douglas

Boyd Ostroff November 1st, 2008 02:12 PM

Hi Douglas, and welcome to DVinfo. Sorry to hear about your camera. I have used my VX-2000, PDX-10 and HVR-Z1 for years with Power Macs, PowerBooks and a MacBook Pro with no problems whatsoever. We do hear about blown firewire ports around here from time to time, but I don't think it's a specific Mac problem.

You will find information about Sony's Pro repair centers in the US here: Sony | Services and Programs

Chris van der Zaan November 16th, 2008 07:46 PM

good luck with a repair if the firewire circuit is broken / burned out. it will cost you a lot. i had this once with a panasonic camera and they asked 300 euro for a repair. I bought a new camera.

But as the vx2100 still has some value it might be worth it if price is not too high.

Derrick Rentz March 31st, 2009 06:42 PM

First time posting. well here goes: I burnt the firewire port on my once already, and its acting up again for me. I had warranty company that i went through the first time and now went out of business. (Repair Tech) not sure what i can do about that? i still had another yr on my warranty. so how can i use my rca to my computer, do i need a capture card? or something like that? will i loose picture quailty, and will scene detect work using the rca jacks and premiere pro cs3?

Boyd Ostroff April 1st, 2009 02:12 PM

Welcome to DVinfo Derrick. Sorry about the camera... You will lose LOTS of quality capturing through the composite video output. I wouldn't do that unless you're really in a bind, and yes, would would need to buy some kind of box to do the A/D conversion which is going to cost at least $80-$100 for a cheap one. FWIW, s-video would be a little better if you really want to go this route, and most of the capture boxes will also support that.

If you can't get it repaired for a reasonable cost, consider buying a cheap DV camcorder to use only for capturing via firewire.

Derrick Rentz April 1st, 2009 09:50 PM

thanks boyd, i planned on buying a cheapo camera to log footage with, but will i run into the same problems again with the firewire burning out?

Boyd Ostroff April 2nd, 2009 07:15 AM

Well I guess that's the big question. WHY are you burning out the firewire port? Could be an issue with your computer or the cable you're using. Guess I have been lucky, because with three different cameras and a bunch of different computers, I've never blown a port (knocking on wood as I write this :-)

Adam Gold April 2nd, 2009 09:45 AM

Well, the simplest and easiest rule is to never try to hot-plug a FW cable. Always have both devices powered off when you connect.

A lot of people pooh-pooh this, but it's an easy rule to follow, doesn't take any extra time or effort, and you never hear about anyone who has followed this procedure blowing out a port, while nearly all of those who report problems have ignored this advice.

R Geoff Baker April 19th, 2009 08:44 AM

Although hot swapping is perhaps a poor habit, it does not explain what the OP has encountered ...

Firewire on a DV camcorder -- I'm pretty sure all DV camcorders -- is four pin. The four pin protocol has NO POWER. There is no power in a four pin Firewire connection, hot swap or not. Six pin Firewire, as found on most computers, is four pin + two power pins -- in other words, unless the wire is defective, or unless the computer is defective, the two pins that feed power do nothing when you connect to a four pin product like a camcorder. There is no other difference between four pin and six pin Firewire, and there is no way unless something is defective for the two power pins to feed power to the four pin end ... even a ham-fisted plug-in cannot 'jump the gap'.

So take a hard look at your cable, but most likely it is just something that has gone wrong with your camcorder ...

John Peterson April 25th, 2009 06:22 AM

I have a service manual for the VX2000 / DSR-PD150 and the board you are talking about on my camera is a JK-190 on the PD150.

--
102 A-7074-402-A Mounted C Board JK-190 for DSR-PD150P (With DV Connector) $79.50

Sony Common Part - Professional Equipment service Part
--

That parts list didn't mention an equivalent part for the PD170 and I don't have nor could I find a PD170 service manual online for free download. So it is probably not the same.

In looking over my PD150 service manual it looks like something a person who disassembles things frequently might tackle. The cassette compartment and several other things have to be disassembled first.

If you want a copy of the PD150 service manual I can send you if you e-mail me.

Otherwise, I would suggest as others did getting a small inexpensive camera to use as a firewire transfer deck.

John

John Peterson April 25th, 2009 06:43 AM

OK, I think I found it. It is a JK-267 board on the PD170.

sony replacement circuit board!!!!!

John

Luke Arndt June 30th, 2009 04:48 PM

John: Any chance you still have that PD150 service manual handy? I'd love to have a copy of it! I'm trying to replace a burned-out firewire port on my camera.

Thanks!

Luke

Alex Rilovski July 5th, 2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Arndt (Post 1165422)
John: Any chance you still have that PD150 service manual handy? I'd love to have a copy of it! I'm trying to replace a burned-out firewire port on my camera.

Thanks!

Luke

I would also love to get my hands on the service manual!
I've been wanting to repair my PD150 for three years now! :(
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-vx21...tml#post479052

Alex Rilovski July 10th, 2009 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Peterson (Post 1133047)
I have a service manual for the VX2000 / DSR-PD150 and the board you are talking about on my camera is a JK-190 on the PD150.

Please John, help us!

Luke Arndt July 10th, 2009 09:34 PM

Alex, I think I remember messaging you a year or two back about trying to fix the firewire port, and I was asking if you had ever had any success. Guess not!

My brother is incredible with electronics, so I'm guessing he could figure out how to do the repair if I supplied him with the correct part. Maybe I'll give it a go...