DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   sony pd170 coming shortly -- not (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/14207-sony-pd170-coming-shortly-not.html)

Michael Struthers September 7th, 2003 02:23 AM

sony pd170 coming shortly

too bad it's not 16x9...bummer.

Frank Granovski September 7th, 2003 02:27 AM

Do you have a link?

Michael Struthers September 7th, 2003 03:04 AM

http://www.biz-max.net/bizmax/dsr-pd170.htm

biz max is pretty reliable...

Robbie Smolinsky September 7th, 2003 06:41 AM

Hey, it appears to be the hoax....again. Read the end carefully: "The DSR-PO170 / DSR-PD170P offers 17P and a bare-bones feature set so you can acquire the weirdest looking pictures and sound you need. Three low-grade 1/3-inch ccds capture good images." Its the same thing that has been floating around the net.

And just some points for other people to consider when they think they have found the next big Sony to come out: Chances are it will not look physically identical to the already existing PD150 (at the very least Sony would probably change around some menu buttons or something). The descriptions will probably not concentrate so heavily on the LCD screen, zoom functions or image stabilizer or any other pre-exisiting element of the PD150- the emphasis will most likely be on a movie frame mode, true widescreen, or some improvment that would cause people to run out and buy this unit over the PD150. And last, wait for Sony to say something about it, while there may be a leak of info, I doubt someone could get a hold of a full "specs sheet" and description without something being said by Sony, although it is possible (but just something to be suspicious about).

And most importantly, people should try to read things more thoroughly instead of getting excited about what the page is, usually the content is a dead giveaway that its a fake as we have seen here.

But thanks for the post, its always good to keep an eye out for the next big thing!

Robbie

BTW: I have emailed BizMax about it already, so we'll see what they say...

Robbie Smolinsky September 7th, 2003 10:22 AM

Hi all, I have since recieved 2 emails from Biz Max, and I have pasted them below:

FIRST EMAIL:

"Hi Robie,

Yes this is not the latest document from Sony and we are not allowed to publish the latest as yet but will be out real soon. We had promised Sony to publish only upon Sony advise.

Thanks and B.rdgs
Winston"

SECOND EMAIL:

"Pls clarify biz-max name on your article as this info are from Sony HQ and its not fake but not the latest that's all. Thanks for your assistance.

Thanks and B.rdgs
Winston"

...its kind of unclear to me what they are saying, but it seems as though he's telling me they are sitting on the latest info and are just waiting for Sony's OK to put it up. But they're also saying that this current description is from Sony HQ?! To me it seems like Sony wouldn't market their camera for those wanting "the weirdest looking pictures and sound" from "Three low-grade CCDs". And I think its kinda poor business practice to post something like that and tell people it came directly from Sony HQ, but who knows...it might really be direct from a Sony source...stranger things have happened.....

Michael Struthers September 7th, 2003 03:04 PM

The cam is coming. The interesting english could be poor translation from babelfish. But you notice pd150's are disappearing from the pipeline.

Robbie Smolinsky September 7th, 2003 05:04 PM

Hi Michael, I'm not all all arguing that there is not a new model right on the virge of coming out, only Sony will know that for sure- we just get the hear say... I was just pointing out that the information you had found was the same specifications sheet that has been under suspicion on these forums lately (found in various places on the net). So all I am claiming is that the description that you linked to may not be the full story, i.e. the PD170 may turn out to have 16x9 after all or have other advancements not listed on that page...I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

I suppose some of my concern over this specific camera spec sheet is that I am hoping that the next Sony model will host a number of more significant improvments over the exisiting PD150 and make it the "king of the hill" of the new prosumer bunch. So, again, I apologize if you thought I was saying that you're wrong for thinking there is a new model on the brink, it is entirely possible. I was only trying to comment that the link you provided hosts some content of which the reliability is somewhat of a question mark and has been brought up before on these forums and widely discredited.... if Sony is releasing a new camera its always better to wait for official statements from them directly rather than speculation anyways, after all, once its available I'm sure Sony won't be shy about advertising it...

Robbie

Frank Granovski September 7th, 2003 05:33 PM

Michael, that PD170 link is a joke. This "joke" has been posted here several times.

Bryan Beasleigh September 7th, 2003 08:59 PM

This "joke" surfaced about the time the DVX100 was released.

Boyd Ostroff September 7th, 2003 09:37 PM

It sure looks like a hoax to me. All the pictures look like a PD-150, as do all the specs. The spec sheet looks like they pasted "DSR-PD170" onto a PD-150 sheet (rather clumsily) and scanned it. And the part about 17p and "wierdest looking images" should be a dead giveaway. If this really is the next big thing from Sony then I think they're headed for trouble. But if you *want* to believe, then don't let me burst your bubble....

Chris Hurd September 7th, 2003 10:52 PM

This particular link is definitely a hoax, and one that's several months old, sorry Michael.

Dan Tolbertson September 7th, 2003 11:21 PM

Even the font doesn't match the rest of the document.

Michael Struthers September 8th, 2003 01:49 AM

This would all be good news - if Sony doesn't make their pd upgrade 16x9 they will have fumbled the ball.

We shall see.