DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Just bought a Sony PD-170 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/18203-just-bought-sony-pd-170-a.html)

Frederic Segard December 10th, 2003 08:04 PM

Just bought a Sony PD-170

Just bought a Sony PD-170 today (December 10th 2003 at 3PM). It was the first batch that my vendor received. I guess I was lucky to have one with all the pre-orders that were lined up. What a nice piece of equipment. It really looks sharper then the PD-150. All those nice "incremental upgrades" are a real treat. I've used the PD-150 before, and I welcome the changes... even though there could have been a few more things added to it…true 16x9 CCD to name one. Oh well! Can't have it all. The cost? $4798CDN, that’s $3696US at today’s exchange rate.

I've really been looking forward to getting the Panasonic DVX100 up until last week. I rented the DVX100 for the office Christmas party last Friday, and when the lights were drastically dimmed off... hold and behold, the camcorder did not fair as well and the PD-150 that I was accustomed to in low light conditions. This was not the first time I used the Pany, but it was the first time I needed low light badly. Low light is one of my main requirements for a camera, and with improved low light capabilities of the PD-170, I figured it would be worth it.

The only thing missing in the box is a Sony memory stick and a USB stick reader. If I recall, the PD-150 had it, did it not? But it's really no big deal. And I’m happier with the included Wide Angle adapter!

Anybody else have the PD-170 yet? What are your first impressions?

Dan Brown December 10th, 2003 09:02 PM

Hey Frederic, congratulations on the PD-170. I know it's a fine and capable machine. I'm selling some film stuff on ebay and scrounging every dime I can for a 3-CCD camera. I can't wait until I get to post like you did today.

Enjoy and post some of your footage (inchage?!?).

Cheers...

Shawn Mielke December 11th, 2003 01:42 AM

Frederic, I posted a globaldvc link here today regarding PD170 sound. I titled it PD170 info. Have you read that? Check your sound on headphones, with and without a microphone, and especially with the LCD open as well as closed. Apparently there is an issue with a high frequency emitted when the LCD is open...... It may or may not pertain to more than one camcorder, but check it out sooner than later. Hope it's nothing, cause I want one toooo! :-)
Regards,
Shawn

Dave Largent December 11th, 2003 02:56 AM

Link didn't work. Do you have another?

Shawn Mielke December 11th, 2003 03:34 AM

Alright, try this.

www.global-dvc.org/html/PD170.asp

And if that doesn't work, google

pd170 global dvc .

It should be the first link.

Frederic Segard December 11th, 2003 09:39 AM

Audio problem: I tried it morning, the test environment wasn't perfect and was very brief, but I do hear a slight noise when the LCD was opened. It is noticable when opening and closing the LCD repetitively.

Mind you, this noise was very slight, and could only be percieved in near silence. It's not a big problem, and in most cases will not interfere with the overall quality... but it is still a problem that I would like to see fixed in the near future.

Shawn Mielke December 11th, 2003 02:21 PM

Did you try recording on to a tape, Frederic?

Dave Campbell December 11th, 2003 02:23 PM

pd170

Was already to buy, but here we go again.
The vx1000 had an issue.
the vx2000 had an issue.

Will wait until this is proved to be fixed.

Dave

Dave Largent December 11th, 2003 02:38 PM

Yep, Dave. Same boat as you. This sucks. You'd think
with all their money and R&D that they could get
it right.

Shawn Mielke December 11th, 2003 03:10 PM

No kidding. It isn't like this is an experimental product! Sloppy.

Brian Pink December 11th, 2003 04:58 PM

i've had my PD150 about a year and i only hear any audio noise when i'm plugged into the wall. as long as i run on battery i don't hear anything and no tests have shown anything. i just got 2 of those huge 9 hour batteries and i roll with those all day with no problems.

Frederic Segard December 11th, 2003 06:47 PM

I called my friendly neighborhood vendor today, and explained the issue with the audio, and pointed out the global-dvc link to him as well. He was surprised, but not totally shocked. Audio issues did happen to the PD-150 when it first came out, and Sony offered a fix for it. But your right Dave, with all the money Sony can throw on R&D and production, how can they let something like that pass? It sucks indeed!

He is going to have his expert tech examine a PD-170 from their first batch, and make a complete analysis.

Regardless, I am satisfied with the overall quality of the cam (except for the hiss problem, of course... snif), The image quality is impecable, and reacts quite well in low light. Surprisingly, even with the gain set to 18db, grain is minimal.

I'll keep you posted on the audio issue from my vendor, and I'll continue testing the audio this week end.

Shawn Mielke December 11th, 2003 10:24 PM

Glad to hear and am looking forward to your findings, Frederic. My enthusiasm for this cam remains intact. Just fix it, and quickly, Sony.

Dave Largent December 11th, 2003 11:09 PM

Yes, Frederic, hope to hear more from you soon.
A fellow on another board posted that he tested his
every which way and there was no difference in the audio relating to anything he did with the LCD. He added that maybe he got a good one, or maybe there
was a bad batch.

Frederic Segard December 18th, 2003 07:43 PM

Good news!

My vendor contacted me today and they tested the NTSC PD-170 and compared it to the NTSC PD-150. Both are the same when mesured on a scope. There are no noise recorded to tape. It seems the reported problem is only on PAL models. The audio amplifier on board the cam does generate some hiss when the levels are maxed out, but do not appear on tape (as the PD-150).