DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   (NTSC) VX2100 vs. PD170, please help out (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/20871-ntsc-vx2100-vs-pd170-please-help-out.html)

John Carey February 5th, 2004 12:37 AM

(NTSC) VX2100 vs. PD170, please help out

I completely understand that the PD170 is better than the VX2100, its a pro cam vs a consumer cam (Yeah, I know its prosumer....but sony calls it a consumer) They will film exactly the same footage (Video wise). But from what I know, the PD170 has XLR built on it, has better Iris controls and is DVCam format. Am I missing Anything??

First question. When is DVcam needed?. It claims to be less drop outs and has the timecode, BUT, only 40 minutes on a tape with identical audio and video quality. So what will this help for?

2. With the exception of more Iris control and the Built on xlr and automatic shutdown, what other features does the PD170 have over the VX2100? Also If I ever need to use an external mic, I could just plug it in 1/8 and for interviews with lavs or good Shotguns on booms, I can run them into a portable mackie mixer and run line out into the 1/8" line in on the VX, I mean, would that be a bad idea?

What camera can take more abuse, the 170 or vx2100? Please help me out making a selection Because I would have to do a lot more saving and working for the PD170, but if it's a must, than I gotta grab it.

The only thing holding me back alitle bit is the Frame mode on the canons. Theres just something about that progressive that grabs the eye in certain situations.

Mike Rehmus February 5th, 2004 02:52 AM

Re: (NTSC) VX2100 vs. PD170, please help out

<<<-- Originally posted by John Carey : I completely understand that the PD170 is better than the VX2100, its a pro cam vs a consumer cam (Yeah, I know its prosumer....but sony calls it a consumer) They will film exactly the same footage (Video wise). But from what I know, the PD170 has XLR built on it, has better Iris controls and is DVCam format. Am I missing Anything??

No you are not except service is better for the pro cameras and the XLR comes with Phantom Power. There is a full list of differences posted in this forum.

First question. When is DVcam needed?. It claims to be less drop outs and has the timecode, BUT, only 40 minutes on a tape with identical audio and video quality. So what will this help for?

You will never need it unless a customer wants DVCam.

2. With the exception of more Iris control and the Built on xlr and automatic shutdown, what other features does the PD170 have over the VX2100? Also If I ever need to use an external mic, I could just plug it in 1/8 and for interviews with lavs or good Shotguns on booms, I can run them into a portable mackie mixer and run line out into the 1/8" line in on the VX, I mean, would that be a bad idea?

Yes it would be a very bad idea. Noise. Also clumsy.

What camera can take more abuse, the 170 or vx2100? Please help me out making a selection Because I would have to do a lot more saving and working for the PD170, but if it's a must, than I gotta grab it.

Same basic construction.

The only thing holding me back alitle bit is the Frame mode on the canons. Theres just something about that progressive that grabs the eye in certain situations. -->>>

Cannot help you there. That's a personal decision.

John Carey February 5th, 2004 06:00 PM

Thanks Mike

Thanks mike for the help. I really appreciate it. Lastly, are there any new cameras coming out that people know of that are anxiously waiting within the year or so?

Also, as far as the "frame mode" i think you get kind of a movie effect in 1/30. From what I hear, you can film in 1/30 on any of the sony's, than use post preduction to exactly emulate the "frame mode" or get that "Digital film" look. Now, Only now I have to find a good way to do it in post. I have a PC, adobe premier 6.0, and am considering after effects. I heard magic bullett is great, is this known as the "best" and is it easy to use?

please inform me guys.
also, if im wrong, please correct me.

the only way to learn is to be wrong first

John

Jon Cyr February 8th, 2004 09:22 PM

Re: Re: (NTSC) VX2100 vs. PD170, please help out

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus : <<<-- Originally posted by John Carey : Also If I ever need to use an external mic, I could just plug it in 1/8 and for interviews with lavs or good Shotguns on booms, I can run them into a portable mackie mixer and run line out into the 1/8" line in on the VX, I mean, would that be a bad idea?

Yes it would be a very bad idea. Noise. Also clumsy.

-->>>
-->>>
I have a question conserning this. Can you feed the audio into the RCA inputs? Will it work that way? Or does it not allow input while it is in camera mode?

I'm looking at purchasing two of these cameras, so I'd really like to know.

Edit: To Clarify, I'm asking about the VX2100

Mike Rehmus February 8th, 2004 10:34 PM

IN camera mode, the RCA's are sending the audio OUT.

Jon Cyr February 8th, 2004 11:59 PM

Thanks, I kind of figured that, but thought I'd ask just to make sure.