DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Message For All (Just an Idea) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/21375-message-all-just-idea.html)

John Carey February 15th, 2004 03:23 AM

Message For All (Just an Idea)

Hey, I do understand that this is a message board, But I feel we should take a little time and make some "hard" posts that address the hot issues and comparisons instead of just people constantly re-asking them, and then telling them to spend x amount of time poking around.

I did so with the VX2100 vs the PD170. I would like to hear some feedback on that post and know if its helpful or not to the community. It went through about 3 drafts and people threw in there extra info. I mean, I put hours of research into it, but it only took about an hour to put it all together after correcting and adding to the few drafts over the coarse of a day.

I honestly feel that this way, We can have a Few Concrete posts, end repetitive questions, save everyone some time and frustration that is researching the popular topics, and most importantly, be very informative.

So Let me Know what you think. From my views, the hot comparison issues that I would like to work on or help work on are as follows:

Comparing the differences, Pro's/Cons and features:

PD-170 vs PD-150
PD-170 vs DVX100a
PD-170 vs XL1
above is just to name a few examples that I thought of, there are many others.

The good thing about all of this is that all of our information is most likely already in the accessible history of this board. Does anyone like this idea? Does anyone want to help out?

Like I said, its just an idea

-john

Mike Rehmus February 15th, 2004 07:35 PM

It would be most useful. But very difficult to manage. Paper comparisons are one thing. Comparisons based on actual use, another and a much more difficult but valuable issue.

This is the 2000/2100/150/170 Forum. I think it should stay that way. So comparisons similar to your first are welcome as long as you evaluate cameras in this group.

However, if you want to do comparisons between cameras, either in differing model ranges (DVInfo Forums) or different manufacturers then this is not the correct forum IMO. I'd say the Open DV Discussion is the place to post your information.

Chris may wish to open a Comparison Forum. That's up to him.

John Carey February 16th, 2004 02:32 AM

Good Point Mike

Mike, Good Point. I definitely agree that the only comparisons question that is appropriate vx2100 pd170 companion boards is comparing the Sony cameras in this field. (vx2000, vx2100, pd150, pd170, 250, other Sony cam's etc.)

Another issue. I dont have an answer for this one yet, I've seen wayyyyy too many posts about it too, but one issue I am pondering about is "must have" accessories and best bang for the buck accessories to go along with a PD170. Any takers out there? Unfortunately, Im looking for answers to this one and will only be able to help out a little. Im talking about making one concrete post that discusses peoples past and personal uses, rather than paper. The main accessories I think we should cover are a good basic UV filter that will protect the lens and filter out uv without distorting picture, accessory lenses (Anamorphic, wideangle, telephoto, fisheye etc.) Tripods, Cases that are easily transportable and protect our investments nicely, lighting and whatever other people bring up. But I do agree with you, we should focus on making these posts to inform people with concrete "Personal experiences" with the accessories.

John

Jeff Donald February 16th, 2004 10:36 AM

John, you may want to do some searches and read about your must have items in their respective forums. Filters, for example, have been extensively talked about in the Open DV Forum. There is nothing unique about filters or sizes of filters that would warrant a specific discussion in the Sony VX2100 Companion Forum. Tripods are discussed in the Tripod Forum (Support Your Local Camera) because, again, tripods are generic and fit all cameras. Judge your needs for similar camera weight and use.

Accessory lenses are discussed in both forums because they do tend to be more camera specific in some cases. However, you will find lengthy discussions in the Open DV Forum also.

John Carey February 16th, 2004 01:10 PM

yeah

Yes, Good point jeff. But I am talking about specific uses of these accessories with the PD170 or VX2100. However, its a very nice point. Maybe what Im getting at is instead of having hundreds of open threads, just to make a few great threads compacting all the usefull information, that would save us all alittle time. I mean, I spent hours researching the vx2100 and pd170. And I felt, well, I spent hours researching this, why should other people? And why should other pepole be annoyed about new people posting the same questions over and over.

Jeff Donald February 16th, 2004 02:06 PM

John, there is nothing specific about a UV filter. Many people (Wranglers for one) have put hours into answering the very questions you may have. The continual posting of the same questions takes Wranglers and other members away from posting answers to peoples other problems, concerns and issues. Why do we have to continually post in common threads? Because DV Info tries to be a source of factual knowledge, not rumor, urban myths, innuendo, half truths etc.

When a topic is posted over and over again it leads to the greater possibility of misstatements being posted. Then it takes several additional posts to clear up the misunderstanding. If the original poster had done a search, the answers would have been evident. No need to waste members time and efforts replying to the same old posts and same old half truths.

John Carey February 16th, 2004 09:18 PM

I know

I know, you just answered the question for me. If we made one concrete post, with all factual information, summing up all the factual and information people want to know in one or two posts, it would elimante the reasking of questions.

Mike Rehmus February 17th, 2004 02:15 PM

John, I seriously doubt that.

People, in general, post first and search never.

I don't know why they'd think about finding a table any more than they would bother finding a FAQ or doing a search.