DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   physical pixel size of the DSRPD150 CCD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/2288-physical-pixel-size-dsrpd150-ccd.html)

bourrinator June 5th, 2002 05:35 AM

physical pixel size of the DSRPD150 CCD

I am looking for the pixel dimensions of the CCD of the DSRPD150.
I have a PAL version (720x576 pixels). i know that the pixels are not square (1.0666666 ratio) but i don't know the pixel size.

we are trying to use this camcoder in videogrammetric application and need the physical dimensions of the CCD and focal length.

thanx a lot

Mike Rehmus June 5th, 2002 10:51 AM

I don't have the specific information you are asking for but a camcorder would be the last device I would chose to use for any measurement applications.

There are just to many image processing operations going on after the signal is passed from the CCD elements themselves.

Maybe you can get reliable information but I'd be much more inclined to pick up a Panasonic lipstick camera that has a naked CCD sitting on the end of the cable and a straight-through (AFAIK) video path to the Comp or S-Video output.

In addition, you can put some very nice, know-quality C-Mount lenses on the camera as well as some very small lens if you need to stuff it down a microscope tube.

I don't know exactly what you want to accomplish but I just think the PD-150 would make a better VTR in this situation unless you are also trying to measure luminance or color. In which case, uncompressed video would seem to be better.

bourrinator June 5th, 2002 11:51 PM

we use two camcoders to measure snow avalanche speed and volume along the runoff. the distance between the devices is about 400 m.

synchronisation is made by radio (sound). we don't need similar illumination but the geometric parameters of the optic device is crucial. focal lens is self calibrated in the post treatment but CCD size needs to be known.

Mike Rehmus June 6th, 2002 10:21 AM

Understand the need for the dimensions. Couldn't you just map them?

At 400 meters, the radio connection between the cameras can be a significant delay what with all the processing. What amount of delay do you measure?

I assume you have at least one frame of video uncertainty due to the camcorders not being locked with a sync signal.

bourrinator June 6th, 2002 11:59 PM

with the sound sync, you can achieve the sync with an accuracy of less than image that means 1/25 sec. The delay of the radio VHF is insignificant (OEM propagation in air = 300'000km/s).

The avalanche runs at 2 km from the video. Position of the video are determined by GPS with an accuracy of 5cm. Focal length, lens distortion is calibrated with the use of signalised ground points visible on the images (photogrammetric process).

we treat one pair of images each 1 sec.