DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Trying to capure PAL with NTSC camcorder. Any tips? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/23618-trying-capure-pal-ntsc-camcorder-any-tips.html)

Ignacio Rodriguez March 27th, 2004 02:54 PM

Trying to capture PAL with NTSC camcorder. Any tips?

A friend and I are trying to capture a PAL MiniDV tape through an NTSC PD150 into FCP4 using Firewire. I had read somewhoere that this was supposed to work but FCP is not seeing any video from the cam. We tried using all-PAL settings and presets in FCP but no luck. Any clues as to what can be done besides paying for a transfer service or renting a a PAL camera?

Frank Granovski March 27th, 2004 03:15 PM

NTSC and PAL are different broadcast formats. So an NTSC cam won't be able to convert PAL DV footage. If you want to get the PAL footage into your computer via firewire, you'll need a PAL cam or deck.

Jeff Donald March 27th, 2004 03:15 PM

Does FCP "see" NTSC from the PD150?

Jeff Donald March 27th, 2004 03:16 PM

I thought most Sony NTSC cams could play NTSC. Is it just through the analog (RCA) outputs?

Ignacio Rodriguez March 27th, 2004 03:35 PM

> Does FCP "see" NTSC from the PD150?

Yes. No problem.

> I thought most Sony NTSC cams could play NTSC.

I think most do <grin>
Sorry couldn't help it :-)

What you meant to say is that most Sony NTSC could play PAL and I also thought that. My NTSC PDX10 can play PAL tapes.

Perhaps they can play but not transfer through Firewire. That would be really strange though... no good reason I mean.

Jeff Donald March 27th, 2004 04:14 PM

Gee, Ignacio, you caught my first mistake in 6444 post, (yah right) but whatever you do don't tell my boss, Chris Hurd.

Doesn't it say in the Owners Manual if it plays back PAL? Look in the specs, it should say.

Mike, is there an online source for Sony camera manuals? I had a link, but it's dead now.

Graeme Nattress March 27th, 2004 04:22 PM

I think you can trick iMovie into capturing PAL on an NTSC camcorder. You'll have to do a seach because I can't remember where I read it, but because iMovie captures the DV stream, it does seem to make sense....

Graeme

Ignacio Rodriguez March 27th, 2004 05:02 PM

> Doesn't it say in the Owners Manual if it plays back PAL?
> Look in the specs, it should say.

My PDX10's manual says it will play PAL but with NTSC color coding on the analog output, works on most TVs, but it says nothing about firewire.

Yes... we will try with iMovie or HackTV, that should do it.

Mike Rehmus March 27th, 2004 11:13 PM

My source for online manuals was Sony Italy. The site is down right now.

The PD150 will only give you 'quasi-PAL' playback. That is, you can see it on the LCD or in the Viewfinder. That is all it will do.

page 30 of the manual

Frank Granovski March 28th, 2004 12:12 AM

Quote:

My PDX10's manual says it will play PAL but with NTSC color coding on the analog output, works on most TVs, but it says nothing about firewire.
Yes, some Sony PAL cams will play back NTSC footage, in camera, but they won't convert for output.

Doug Okamoto March 28th, 2004 01:44 AM

Ignacio, I think your best bet is to find someone who has a DSR 11 and a NTSC/PAL switchable monitor and import it that way. The DSR 11 will do either PAL or NTSC (there is a small switch on the back).

HTH

Doug