DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   ZR-1000 first impression (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/24368-zr-1000-first-impression.html)

Ken Blackman October 20th, 2004 12:36 AM

It occurred to me after posting that talking "percentage" here is misleading.

As I understand it, the LANC protocol offers 8 discreet zoom speeds. So it might be more accurate to say it like this.

If you reduce the maximum speed, the rocker travel is split into fewer, bigger zones.

If you set the maximum speed to, say, 3 (out of 8), then the rocker travel will be split into a zero zone, a 1 zone, a 2 zone and a 3 zone.

Or something like that.

Ken Blackman October 24th, 2004 10:02 PM

Well, I bought one. (a ZOE-DVL.) And having used it for awhile, I can answer Alan's question.

Alan asked: With regard to the Zoe "maximum speed" function, does the sensitivity of the rocker change when you adjust the maximum to 50%? In other words, does a rotation of the rocker by 30% give you half the zoom speed as before, or does the last half of the rotation of the zoom button simply not do anything?

My answer: The latter.

Alan: This is a critical concern. When at 50%, I wan't a less sensitive rocker so that I can initiate zooms and ramp up more smoothly. Does it work this way?

My answer: If I understand what you want, it would look something like this:

With the MSR ® (Maximum Speed Reduction) set to full, the rocker behaves like this:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

With it set to half, you'd like it to behave like this:

1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4

With it set to one quarter you'd like it to behave like this:

1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2

UNFORTUNATELY, that is NOT in fact how it works.

at half MSR, the rocker behaves like this:

1 2 3 4 4 4 4 4

At one quarter, it behaves like this:

1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2

So my previous post was in error: you get fewer zones, but they're NOT bigger (except the last one, which takes up the entire remainder of the rocker travel length).

Wayne Orr October 24th, 2004 11:46 PM

So, Ken, what do you think of the Zoe?

Ken Blackman October 25th, 2004 10:50 AM

Well... it's funny. I fully expected and wanted it to work Alan's way too, and was disappointed when I first got it and considered sending it back and getting my second choice.

But, having used it for awhile, I now think actually designed it the right way, and I'm very pleased with it.

How fast I move the rocker arm correlates with how fast the zoom ramps up from zero towards the max speed. It's that simple.

For smooth consistent zooms, it's perfect. The "feel" would be all wrong if they did it the other way. Once you start using it it's very intuitive.

Nice long rocker arm travel, buttons have a good feel. Coiled cable is nice.

Anything I would change?
- The spring on the rocker arm is too stiff. It actually takes muscle to hold it. After about 30 minutes of practicing zooming, my thumb muscles were sore. They'll probably get stronger over time, and perhaps the spring will mellow out.

- If there were separate controls for focus, I'd probably use them. As it is I doubt I'll use the rocker for focus.

But these are minor gripes. It's hard to please everyone. All in all I'm very happy with the ZOE.