DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   info lithium question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/26934-info-lithium-question.html)

Drew McElvain June 2nd, 2004 02:24 PM

info lithium question

Hi,
I just bought an L10a adapter off of ebay for my sony vx2000 (also bought off ebay a few months ago) My vx2000 didn't come with an adapter so I needed to get one seperate. When I plugged it in and tried to turn it on without the battery in it says "info lithium only" and then turns off. Is this normal or should I be able to use it when plugged in w/out a battery?

Thanks,
Drew

Steve McDonald June 4th, 2004 04:15 AM

Okay, here's my experience in trying out an L10A power supply on my VX2100: I got this AC adaptor 3 years ago with a smaller Sony digital camcorder. The one that came with the VX2100 is the L15B.
However, the output specs of the two are the same: 8.4 volts DC---1.5 amps. The L10A is a bit larger and has an AC power input consumption rating of 23 amps. The newer L15B has an AC input rating of only 18 amps. It would seem that either would work with the VX2000/2100.

When I plugged the L10A into my VX2100 without a battery, to my surprise, the viewfinder lit up, without my having turned on the camera's switch. For one second, it flashed the message, in big yellow letters: "Info-Lithium Only" and then it turned off.

It wouldn't turn on when I worked the selector switch. But, after I unplugged and replugged the power connector, it turned on and worked normally. With power from the L10A, it recorded, played back, fast-forwarded-----the works, without a problem. It had never flashed this warning and turned off, when I used its own L15B with it.

From this, I can only say, it's a mystery. Possibly, both these used L10A
adaptors have become a bit unstable in their outputs, although this is an uneducated guess. Maybe yours is more used than mine. You might try hooking-up yours again and see if you get better results the next time around. I assume that your VX2000 works alright with a battery. Maybe a new AC adaptor from a dealer is in your future. I believe I will stick with the new L15B with my camera. Good Luck.

Steve McDonald June 4th, 2004 05:05 AM

Here's one more suggestion: Do you have your L10A on the end of a long extension cord? Sony says in the manual to "Use it close to the power outlet". This may be a translation that more accurately would say, "Don't connect it with a long, higher-resistance extension cord, that might reduce its input voltage or amperage too much.". However, since it's rated to run on 100 to 240 volts AC, this doesn't seem likely.

One minor correction to my first message:
that was an L10B AC adaptor I used, from my older camcorder. Its input and output specs are exactly the same as the L10A. I have two L10A adaptors that power other Sony gadgets.

It seems that even Japanese companies are outsourcing some of their production.
My oldest L10A and the L10B are marked: Fabrique au Chine. The newer L10A was Made in Japan and the L15B is marked: TUV Rhineland---Made in Argentina. Apparently the TUV Rhineland Co. is outsourcing some production to Argentina, which in turn goes to Japan and ends up in the U.S. and elsewhere.