DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Best camera for weddings/independent films (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/27081-best-camera-weddings-independent-films.html)

Pablo Padilla June 4th, 2004 07:36 PM

Best camera for weddings/independent films

I'm a film student looking to make money off my camera by taping weddings and events of such sort. What is the best camera for the conditions? Any camera where I could have the film look, widescreen capabilites, and low ligh shooting conditions?

Michael Wisniewski June 4th, 2004 07:59 PM

Either the VX2100 or PD170 with a 16:9 adapter. The built-in XLR on the PD170 is a big plus.

If you don't mind giving up the low light of the Sonys the Pana DVX-100 pretty much gives you what you want + a little more, but it might not be as effective at weddings and events.

Craig Seeman June 4th, 2004 10:47 PM

Thing to be aware of about the DVX100 is that in 24p it's worse in low light than it is in 60i.

If low light performance is important get the Sony. Also Sony's built in 16x9 stretch seems better than Panny in 60i although the Panny stretch is nice in Progressive but then it's not good in low light in Progressive mode.

In short, Sony better for events, run&gun, and low light in general. Panny great when you shoot an indy film with light kit.

Jun Galinato June 4th, 2004 11:16 PM

DSR-250, big brother of PD150 longer recording tape, full size on shoulder. Big plus is 3 XLR mic inputs, I use 2 mics (one omni and one shotgun and one wireless mic on the other XLR mic input, switching between the omni and wireless).

Bernard Ong June 8th, 2004 08:45 AM

u were mentioning you use 3 mics for a wedding...

how & where do you place the three mics?

Jun Galinato June 8th, 2004 10:49 AM

Hi Bernard, Actually I used 4 audio sources. Wireless connected to the Groom, MiniDisc connected to the Podium, and the omni and shotgun mic on camera.

Jun

Bernard Ong June 8th, 2004 08:42 PM

HI jun...

appreciate your reply...
just wondering if the omni on your cam does catches "unwanted" sound?

thks

Mathew Evan June 13th, 2004 09:49 AM

I agree that a dsr250 is best for event coverage. That is what it was designed for and it fills it to a tee. A pd170 is your second best bet.

I use a dvx100 and primarily shoot weddings with it. I will tell you that I never use 24P for weddings. I'd love to but I need the best low light possible and also the slow motion capabilities of 60i.

The biggest negative of the dvx is not it's ccd's regarding low light but it's short lens. I often find that I'm losing a f-stop of light for a lot of my shots. If you shoot weddings you'll find that you really want that extra 2x from the Sony for the ceremony. The wide angle is awesome for everything else but Sony gives that to you with the pd170.

Jun Galinato June 13th, 2004 10:53 AM

Hi Bernard, As I told you, I will mix it in post and whatever audio is needed, I will use the best. Sometimes omni works best in reception than shotgun.

Jun