DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Urgent Advice Needed re: San Francisco (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/27401-urgent-advice-needed-re-san-francisco.html)

Paul Vlachos June 11th, 2004 01:10 AM

Urgent Advice Needed re: San Francisco

First, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but it concerns my PD170, so I'm posting it here.

Second, I never use the word "urgent" in a post, not in ten years online, but this is something I need to know ASAP.

I'm in San Francisco on a three day shoot. Tonight, I got the "Cleaning Cassette" warning message on my LCD. Of course, that's the one thing I did not pack for this trip.

Can someone *please* tell me a place in San Francisco, preferably near the SOMA disctrict, where I can buy one tomorrow, which is also a semi-holiday, with the state funeral and all. I have two full days' of shooting and really need this info.

As it is, I'm going to start on the yellow pages in the morning, but I know a local person could direct me much faster to a pro shop where they would have the proper sony cassette.

In a pinch, I would be grateful to use one swipe of someone's cassette, but I'd prefer to buy my own.

Thank you so much in advance.

Paul

ps: the other thing is, is this message as dire as I'd thought or is it like "service engine soon?" I'd rather just clean it ASAP and not wonder.

Alan Christensen June 11th, 2004 01:56 AM

I have usually gotten this message when I was trying to record over a tape that had been previously recorded using a different brand camcorder. This problem has always disappeared when I put a brand new tape in the camera. You can also run into this problem if you mix tape brands with different lubricants (e.g., Maxell and TDK seem incompatible based upon my experience). This can cause a sticky tape path and the message you received. I'd try using a new tape if you aren't already using one.

Michael Wisniewski June 11th, 2004 02:13 AM

There was a Sony store on the ground floor of the Metreon when I lived there 2 years ago. The Metreon is by Moscone Center, across from the Marriott.

There's also professional camera/photography store called Adolph Gasser on 2nd street, several blocks up from the Metreon.

Mike Rehmus June 11th, 2004 10:26 AM

Gasser is the place I'd go. They are actually South of Market by one block or so.

Paul Tauger might have one you could use.

Oh, the other places are Bay Area Video Coalition and Film Arts Foundation. These are very good support groups and independent film & teaching centers. Might just let you use one.

FAF used to be on 9th IIRC and about 2 blocks south of Market.

Paul Tauger June 11th, 2004 01:42 PM

The Sony place is still at the Metreon. However, it's real hit-or-miss with respect to what they've got.

There's a CompUSA on Market that might have it. Also, on Kearny just north of Market is a fairly good camera store that sells some DV gear and might also have cleaning cassettes.

Many people don't realize (nor did I 'til I moved here) that SF is a pretty small city -- population 700,000 or so. I've yet to find a good local source for electronics and camera equipment, and buy my stuff mail order.

Unfortunately, I don't have one -- I've never needed it for my VX2000.

Paul Vlachos June 11th, 2004 05:35 PM

I want to thank you all. I went to Gasser and got one this morning.

Another example of how the Web and a well-run, knowlegable forum can change things.

Thank you all.