DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   How to check proper exposure on VX2100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/30109-how-check-proper-exposure-vx2100.html)

Gustavo Nardelli August 4th, 2004 10:57 PM

How to check proper exposure on VX2100?

As I've been reading all over, "a good way to check exposure is to ask the camera"

How do I ask my VX-2100 to do this?

Shawn Mielke August 5th, 2004 01:05 AM

I'm sorry, how about your zebra stripes?

Mike Rehmus August 5th, 2004 10:49 AM

Welcome to DVInfo, Gustavo.

Do a search for the term, "Zebra" on this forum or on the entire site. There have been lots of discussions about how to use the Zebra stripes to set proper exposure.

Gustavo Nardelli August 5th, 2004 07:56 PM

I've done that...

and I understand the ZEBRA pattern.

I read this at

http://www.urbanfox.tv/workbooks/sonypd150/pd150exposure.htm

"HOW DO YOU EXPOSE CORRECTLY?
I reckon there are three ways of setting exposure.

METHOD 1: Does it look right!
Unfortunately this method has two downsides. If you're a beginner you probably not sure what "right" is anyway. Plus, you need to set up your viewfinder/LCD screen correctly. If your screen is too bright or too dark you could get false positives. But as you get more experienced with your kit and after shooting in a range of conditions - you'll just sorta know when it is right.

METHOD 2: Ask the camera.
Zoom in to the subject - go to auto iris and let the camera decide the subjects's exposure - go back to manual iris - now zoom out to frame your shot. You must zoom in to the subject to prevent the auto function under or over compensating for the surrounding light levels. Remember there will be times when the subject will be correct but the background is too bright or too dark. That's the nature of video ie poor contrast ratios (about 50:1).

METHOD 3: Use the zebras.
see above "

I know PD150 performs different from VX2100 as for these kind of controls, but there must be a way for me to use my VX2100 in a manner that I can achieve propper exposure just like I've been doing when I take pictures with my CANON EOS-10D.

Does it makes sense to you?

T.I.A.,
Gustavo

Mike Rehmus August 5th, 2004 08:25 PM

Re: I've done that...

<<<-- Originally posted by Gustavo Nardelli : and I understand the ZEBRA pattern.

I read this at

http://www.urbanfox.tv/workbooks/sonypd150/pd150exposure.htm

"HOW DO YOU EXPOSE CORRECTLY?
I reckon there are three ways of setting exposure.

METHOD 1: Does it look right!
Unfortunately this method has two downsides. If you're a beginner you probably not sure what "right" is anyway. Plus, you need to set up your viewfinder/LCD screen correctly. If your screen is too bright or too dark you could get false positives. But as you get more experienced with your kit and after shooting in a range of conditions - you'll just sorta know when it is right.

------------------------
This rarely works OK because the LCD screen doesn't really provide a good enough image to determine exposure except in a gross sort of way.

METHOD 2: Ask the camera.
Zoom in to the subject - go to auto iris and let the camera decide the subjects's exposure - go back to manual iris - now zoom out to frame your shot. You must zoom in to the subject to prevent the auto function under or over compensating for the surrounding light levels. Remember there will be times when the subject will be correct but the background is too bright or too dark. That's the nature of video ie poor contrast ratios (about 50:1).

METHOD 3: Use the zebras.
see above "

-----------------------
2&3 are similar and are what is needed.
-------------------------

I know PD150 performs different from VX2100 as for these kind of controls, but there must be a way for me to use my VX2100 in a manner that I can achieve propper exposure just like I've been doing when I take pictures with my CANON EOS-10D.

Does it makes sense to you?
--------------------------
No, not really. You only have a couple of tools available to you that really 'measure' the video. You listed them in items 2 & 3. Item 1 would work if you have a good display but the LCD isn't good enough.

There is no method #4 unless you care to measure the camera's ASA equivalent and then use an exposure meter.

Beyond this, the only other choice is to use a waveform monitor. They aren't inexpensive and few are portable.

I think you are going to have to adapt yourself to the video camera as it just isn't going to act any different.

T.I.A.,
Gustavo -->>>

Gustavo Nardelli August 6th, 2004 01:52 PM

Thanks Mike

I'll apply an extra effort on learning how to deal with camcorders.

Regards,
Gus

Mike Rehmus August 6th, 2004 03:42 PM

They are not as easy to use a still cameras, for sure!

Good luck.

Sorry we didn't have a better answer but keep asking as you have more questions. That's what we are here for.