DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   sound on sony pd170 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/31645-sound-sony-pd170.html)

Ian Thomas September 9th, 2004 01:07 PM

sound on sony pd170

Hi there.
thanks for a great message board, i think you will have had this sort of question before so sorry.

I have just bought the sony pd170 and some sennheiser ew100
g2 radio mic for weddings and want to use this and the onboard
mike, could anybody tell me the easiest way to set them up. at the moment iam getting some huming in the headphones and i need them up and runing for my first weddind next week.

Just how good is this pd170 it seems very much like the vx2000 i
use to have.

Thanks very much

Ian Thomas

Shawn Mielke September 9th, 2004 05:08 PM

Uh oh.

Look into that hum. There was a controversy in the first few months of the PD170's (PAL) market life, a problem related to the lcd screen when open that made a bad humming sound.

Other than that, the 170 is a great cam that is indeed similar to it's older "consumer" sibling, the VX2000. Someone else can tell you about all of the differences, but basically you now have native XLR audio, cleaner gain, cleaner audio signal, and slightly more refined manual controls. And DVCAM mode.

Mike Rehmus September 9th, 2004 05:31 PM

Run the wireless into either XLR port with microphone input selected. Adjust levels in the wireless and 170 and that's done. Plug the on-board into the other channel, set for microphone with Phantom Power and adjust for a good level. That's all there is to it. Just don't send channel 1 to both channels.

Ian Thomas September 10th, 2004 08:45 AM

sound pd170

Thanks for your replys, i think iv'e got to mess around with them and try and find the best setting.

I found it easyer with the XM2 but have just sold it in favour of the pd170 have i done the right thing?

Thanks

Ian.

Shawn Mielke September 10th, 2004 09:09 AM

I say YES, absolutely you have done the right thing. Unless of course you THRIVE on a very long zoom and frame movie mode. Otherwise, you now have a MAN'S camera.

;-]

Ian Thomas September 10th, 2004 02:28 PM

Thanks Shawn iam very keen on getting the best from this camcorder and hopefully makeing a few quid with weddings,

I also have a XL1 which gives good results as i use it for wildlife
filming but the pd170 will be used for weddings mostly so if theres some useful advice you could give me I would very much
appreciate it.

Just been out with it tonight seems very good in low light.

Thanx very much
Ian

Shawn Mielke September 10th, 2004 05:20 PM

Ahem, ladies, please pardon the above mock sexist humor. 'Twas the Universal Man to which I was referring, Nietzche's idiom of personal empowerment that, oh never mind.

Where was I? Oh yes. The PD170 and weddings. My only advice is of a general commonsense nature that, put into practise, should address all of the specifics... This is an event videography camera that you haven't used before, and you'll want to get into your body two main things:

Manual Controls Placement
General Handheld Ergonomics