DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   VX9000 / DSR200 / DSR250 various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/32201-vx9000-dsr200-dsr250-various-topics.html)

Ed Pierre October 20th, 2004 10:39 AM

imovie

I am not saying that there is a problem between Imovie and final cut HD. all I am saying is after installing final cut HD on my computer I started to have the same problem and I went to the apple website, I don't remember ecxactly the site, and they said that I had to move some fcp HD component from my library and I went and did what they said and it worked. I can't remember exactly what I did but I am sure if you go to apple website and browse you will find the answer like I did. let me know if you find anything on the apple web site if not I'll look for it.

Ed Pierre October 20th, 2004 10:42 AM

imovie

One more thing I forgot to mentioned. even if you remove final cut HD from you computer there is some component still in your library that you have to go in and remove mannually.

Chuck Kay October 20th, 2004 04:34 PM

Problem Solved! Ed, you are right. There are two components that have to be removed from the Quicktime Library. I also received a reply from the MacDV list. Here is a quote from that email:

"The solution is to temporarily move the following files from /Library/QuickTime/ to the Desktop:
? DesktopVideoOut.component
? DVCPROHDVideoOutput.component
Restart the computer and try exporting from iMovie to your camera.
When you need to use Final Cut Pro HD again, drag these files back to /Library/QuickTime/ and restart the computer."

This worked! Thanks for all the suggestions and help from the DV Info Net community.

Ed Pierre October 20th, 2004 10:09 PM

imovie

I am glad it worked for you.

David Clark November 17th, 2004 02:09 PM

Sony 250 any good?

Hi, I'm from the other side (Canon), thinking about buying the Sony 250, instead of the XL-2. I shoot legal depos, weddings, training, etc. I prefer a camera that is a shoulder mounted style, and like the longer tapes the 250 can use. I have heard there had been some problems with this camera, but couldn't find them when I did a search. Is the image quality as good as a PD-170?Any comments are appreciated. Thank you

Shawn Mielke November 17th, 2004 09:18 PM

I don't think there is an innate problem with this camera. It may be that a few people were having like troubles at one point. I don't know. I don't shoot with this camera, but I have done some homework on it and I do shoot with the PD170, and from what I've read, and from what I know about the 170, and based on your needs, I say the 250 would be an excellent camera for you. The quality of the 250's image is just the same as the 170's. The 250 is a very good choice.

Shuf Shukur December 14th, 2004 09:57 AM

I may sound 'blasphemous' here, but wouldn't a 1/2"CCD camera like say, the JVC GY DV5000 be a better bet for image quality than the DSR 250 which has the same chip size as the PD170? The price between the DSR 250 & GY DV5000 is very close with the JVC costing slightly more.

David Clark December 14th, 2004 10:09 AM

Thank you, you are right. The JVC does have the 1/2 chips, but the camera has ALOT of plastic and feels cheap. Even the paint on the handle flakes off, like it did on the 500 model. Picky picky.... It's like everything else, one has something that the other one doesn't. Thanks all. (still thinking about the XL2)

Rick Barry December 14th, 2004 02:34 PM

I think you will find that the JVC comes without a lens, which will add a considerable amount to the price.

Jean-Philippe Archibald December 14th, 2004 02:50 PM

The base kit with the Canon 16x7 Lens cost about 5400$.

Mike Rehmus December 14th, 2004 04:24 PM

Actually, the 250 is still better in low light but the DSP in the 5000 makes very nice images when there is adequate light.

If you want the sensitivity and the advantages of a pro camera, a nice used, low-hour DSR-300 or 300A can be had with lens, batteries and charger for about the same price as the 5000. The advantage is that the 300A can use full or mini cassettes.

With both the 250 and 5000, you have to plan on around a thousand dollars more for battery and charger. Probably more like $1500 more in fact.

Shawn Mielke December 14th, 2004 06:27 PM

I don't know the precise price comparisons, but if you're considering these two cameras, consider also the Panasonic DVC200. No side screen, but doesn't feel like plastic the way the JVC does, and gives you those pro features. I'm pretty sure it's right in the same price category. Don't know it compares to the 250 in the way of light sensitivity, but I know of fellas that do the same kind of shooting you do and swear by this camera (for the price).

Ed Kelly February 10th, 2005 09:07 PM

Sony DSR 200-200a

I started using the 200 not too long ago, and it seems to work real well for me. I also purchased another for spare, which is the A model. My question is: does anyone know if there is a lens hood that can be used with either of these cams that will allow you to use a wide angle adapter? For my type of work, not using the lens hood is really impractial.

Mike Rehmus February 11th, 2005 12:30 AM

Most of the solutions are cumbersome but the simplest seems to be to use a lens hood directly on the WA adapter. I found that my Mamiya RB67 lens hood just fit the Century WA adapter on my PD150. There is a commercially available lens hood from CAVision IIRC. Expect about a $200 or so price tag.

Bill Edmunds February 20th, 2005 12:09 PM

How often should I service my DSR250?

I've got a DSR250 that is 4 years old and runs like a dream. I've literally never had a problem with it. I'm wondering if I should bring it in for a basic checkup. The hours are: operation 86 x 10, drum run 72 x 10, tape run 39 x 10, threading 30 x 10.