DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Could use some PD170 help. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/32695-could-use-some-pd170-help.html)

Bob Harotunian September 29th, 2004 07:42 AM

Could use some PD170 help.

Just received a PD170 from B&H and was hoping some of you experienced folks could put me on the fast track. I'll be typically using the camera for weddings. It will have a Senn ME66 for on-board (CH1) and Samson UHF wireless on CH2. I think I'll be keeping both channels on manual with separate control and AGC Off.

I had a great place to velcro the wireless receiver on our GL2 but can't find a good place on the PD170 because of the WA lens and XLRs. Can anyone recommend a bracket or adapter for mounting a receiver?

I'm not sure if the 48V switch should be On or Off. Is it for phantom power?

I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a light meter like the GL2 has for adjusting exposure. Is it a matter of relying on the zebras for correct exposure? Seems that using the b&w EVF could be a problem?

How many batteries would be enough for typical coverage considering use of the LCD and phantom power to mic?

Thanks for any insights.
Bob

Mike Rehmus September 29th, 2004 09:47 AM

Re: Could use some PD170 help.

<<<-- Originally posted by Bob Harotunian : Just received a PD170 from B&H and was hoping some of you experienced folks could put me on the fast track. I'll be typically using the camera for weddings. It will have a Senn ME66 for on-board (CH1) and Samson UHF wireless on CH2. I think I'll be keeping both channels on manual with separate control and AGC Off.

I had a great place to velcro the wireless receiver on our GL2 but can't find a good place on the PD170 because of the WA lens and XLRs. Can anyone recommend a bracket or adapter for mounting a receiver?
----------------
I've always just hung the receiver of my Sennheiser off the hand-strap on the side. It's out of the way and once my hand is inside the strap, not a bother at all.
--------------
I'm not sure if the 48V switch should be On or Off. Is it for phantom power?
----------------------------------
Yes, your microphone should perform better on Phantom Power rather than the single AA battery.
----------------------------
I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a light meter like the GL2 has for adjusting exposure. Is it a matter of relying on the zebras for correct exposure? Seems that using the b&w EVF could be a problem?
-----------------------
Yes, the Zebra's are the lightmeter and work very well. B&W viewfinder is better for focus operations than the LCD.
----------------

How many batteries would be enough for typical coverage considering use of the LCD and phantom power to mic?
------------------
A couple of the largest batteries will give you about 8 hours of constant power when using the LCD. Phantom Power uses negligable amounts of battery capacity.
-----------------------
Thanks for any insights.
Bob -->>>

Bob Harotunian September 29th, 2004 11:37 AM

Thanks Mike,
Just one other thing I've noticed. It's been taking me several tries to get the casette compartment to close and lock before closing the outer lid. Sometimes, it appears to be closed okay but the camera flashes the No Tape icon. Is that normal?
Bob

Tom Hardwick September 29th, 2004 12:30 PM

I started off having my Sennheiser receiver clipped to the hand strap, but it was just so uncomfortable. The receiver came with some 'industrial strength' self-adhesive velcro, and I stuck this to the flat vertical surface that houses the PD's VAP electronics, just alongside the front element. Perfect.

tom.

Bob Harotunian September 29th, 2004 12:48 PM

Tom,
I think that might work. I tried my Canon WD58 wide angle adapter on the PD170 and it leaves enough room for the receiver except I might have to velcro it upside down...antennae pointing down. I'll test that later, right now I can't get the d... tape compartment to close.
Bob

Ian Thomas September 29th, 2004 02:46 PM

sony pd170

Hi Bob

I've only had my pd170 for just over 2wks now and yes i noticed that after putting a tape in the message would come up no tape,

I found that you had to push were it says push on the inner door and then close the outer one and it does the trick, its just getting used to it, this camera is a massive improvement on the xm2

Regards
Ian

Bob Harotunian September 29th, 2004 04:26 PM

Thanks Ian but it goes beyond pushing this thing for it to stay closed. When I drop a cassette in, it goes in very snuggly and I suspect that might be the problem. With no tape, the lid closes shut each time. I can't imagine fiddling with this during a wedding for example.

Almost the first thing I tested was low-light versus my GL2 and the PD170 is indeed superior. But, the GL2 is much better balanced and it's controls are more logically located. I'm sure I'll get use to the 170 but this one is going back to Sony.
Bob

Randy Stewart September 30th, 2004 10:25 PM

Bob,
I've just purchased a -170 also and have noticed the closing problem. With my cam, I've found that if I drop the tape in and then push down on it a little, it seems to seat better, then I push on the inside metal carriage where it says push fairly smartly, and then push on the outside carriage where it says push and that seems to do the trick quite well. Sounds like this is a common problem however so maybe Sony will have to take notice. Hope this helps.
Randy

Bob Harotunian October 1st, 2004 06:28 AM

Randy,
This is getting both interesting and worrisome. On another forum, there are several PD170 owners also reporting this tape compartment problem. One user reported it to Sony and they played dumb about the issue.

On the other forum, this was my response to applying more pressure: It's just doesn't make sense that applying that much extra pressure is needed to latch the compartment. I tried holding it shut with extra force and I could even hear the motor moving the tape. When released the lid pops out. That just can't be normal and something I couldn't tolerate during a wedding. I'm afraid this baby's going back. BTW, applying that extra force all the time can't be good long term for the mechanism's alignment.
Bob

Randy Stewart October 1st, 2004 11:27 AM

Bob,
I agree. If it ain't right, send it in and make it right. $3,200 is what I paid and at that price, it better work right out of the box. I'll contact the retailer from where I got it and ask if they have heard anything. However, it will be painful to let it go back to be repaired if that's what is required ;-).
Randy

Randy Stewart October 2nd, 2004 01:47 AM

Bob, et. al.,
I've discovered that the tape carriage problem may be related to tape brand. I've only used my camcorder once just this past weekend and the pro's on the shoot had already labled tapes for use in the cameras. They weren't Sony DVCAM tapes (mini-DV) and I remember when one of them put in the first tape, he had a problem getting the carriage to close. So, I came home tonight and slipped in a Sony brand DVCAM tape and voiala, it closed just like it should with no stress. Might be an anomoly but I think I'm on to something. Give it a try.
Randy