DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   ACCESSORIES for pd150 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/3271-accessories-pd150.html)

Adi Head August 20th, 2002 03:23 AM

ACCESSORIES for pd150

as mentioned in previous thread posted, i am about to buy a pd150p.

what accessories are essential?
what accessories do you reccommend?

extra batteries, hard cases, soft cases, wide-angle adapters, filters, matt-boxes, shot-gun mics, mic mounts (so that the mic w/ wind cover doesn't show in frame), shoulder mounts, etc.

i will be shooting documentaries. i don't want to compromise the picture/audio quality too much, yet, money is running slim and i don't know how much i can afford. i think that before i start spending too much on optics, i'll be consentrating on making sure the pd150 records good audio (reflecting glass in a documetary, because i had no polarizer is something i can live with, but hisses, snaps cracks and pops will ruin a shoot).

lets say apart from the $3550 (b&h price) i'll be spending on the camera and the accessories which come with it, i have more or less $1500 left for audio devices and other accessories.

i'd be very interested to hear how you guys (especially pd150 owners) would shop to optimise the pd150 with a fifteen-hundred dollar budget.

thanks
adihead

Matt Stahley August 20th, 2002 12:26 PM

id buy a wide angle and a new mic plus extra batteries and a pelican hard case.

Mike Rehmus August 20th, 2002 01:29 PM

Re: ACCESSORIES for pd150

<<<-- Originally posted by adi head : as mentioned in previous thread posted, i am about to buy a pd150p.

what accessories are essential?
what accessories do you reccommend?

extra batteries,
-------------
Get one more battery, the 960 which will power the camera for many hours. $150?

hard cases, soft cases,
-----------------
Get the optional PD-150 package for about $200 more that includes a killer squared-corner soft padded case with enough room for all the goodies and a rain cover.

wide-angle adapters,
--------------
Century Optics .65 WA full zoom-through. Gives you the equivalent of a 30 to 330 mm lens on a 35mm film camera $400

Lens shade for WA It has an 80mm outside diameter. I found the Mamiya lens shade for my RB-67, 50 mm slip-on lens shade fits very well and does not vignette the image.

filters
-----------------
B&W multi-coated UV filter for lens protection.
B&W multi-coated rotating polarizer

matt-boxes - not unless you are going to shoot with locked down camera, hollywood or studio style.
------------------
shot-gun mics AT835B $250 Light Wave Mini-wind cover $150

Microphone mount - Sony CAC-12 $180
----------------
shoulder mounts I wouldn't bother unless you need this type of support quite often. If you do, then the PD-150 is the wrong camera and you should spend the extra $1500 to get the DSR-250.

You didn't mention camera supports so I assume you have a tripod and a monopod. If not, the Libec for $180 is a nice ENG-style tripod and a good monopod will cost you around $80 (make certain you get one with a tilt head or you will forever be stradling the leg to tilt down. Very uncomfortable and difficult to do in a crowd.

i'll be consentrating on making sure the pd150 records good audio (reflecting glass in a documetary, because i had no polarizer is something i can live with, but hisses, snaps cracks and pops will ruin a shoot).
--------------------
I think the sound recording capabilties of the 150 are very good. If I'm in a situation where I need absolute quiet in the rcording, I will have a sound person with really good sound gear and all recorded onto a non-compressed format to start with.

I use my 150 to record voice-overs, orchestras (in the field), interviews, actors auditioning, and weddings without any noticable hiss (the only mentioned audio problem with the camera) It doesn't do snaps and crackles.

In my opinion, this issue is way overplayed but understand it is my opinion only.

Chris Hurd August 21st, 2002 01:12 AM

To this I would add that in my opinion, a wired remote lens controller is absolutely essential for consistent, smooth, trouble-free zooming and focus changes. The Canon ZR-1000 and VariZoom VZ-PG-L are two excellent choices.

Adi Head August 21st, 2002 09:53 AM

thanks guys. you've helped me out.
just one more question:
how does the AT835B shotgun mic compare with sannheizer's me66 w/k6?
i know the me66 is more expensive, is the difference in price justified?

any other opinions welcome.

thanks again

Mike Rehmus August 21st, 2002 10:59 AM

Two reasons for the higher price. OK, maybe three.

The ME66 is a hotter, meaning it give a higher signal out for a given sound-pressure level in. This is mainly due to the lower-noise amplifier.

The second reason is the amplifier is a module onto which you can fasten a wide variety of microphone elements.

Sennheiser has been around a lot longer than AT and their marketing has had a chance to have a more profound effect on the user base.

Fourth reason. The Sennheisers are made in Germany and that makes them more expensive all by itself.

Is it worth the extra $. Yes, in some situations. But in the real world I shoot in, ambient noise is high enough that the problem is getting close enough with the microphone to the sound I do want. Within reason, high or low output has nothing to do with the results.

In terms of directionality, both probably have about the same performance. That is they are quite directional for high frequencies and omnidirectional for low frequencies.

I you want a really directional shotgun microphone, at all frequencies, the Audio-Technica active microphone for $3500 will really get it done for you.

Rich Rosen August 26th, 2002 07:23 AM

"shoulder mounts I wouldn't bother unless you need this type of support quite often. If you do, then the PD-150 is the wrong camera and you should spend the extra $1500 to get the DSR-250"

I use a shoulder mount with my VX2000 ALL THE TIME. I modified one by attaching a length of PVC pipe to the front on a swivel security camera ceiling mount. One end (with rubber foot) rests on my belt for support. My XLR adaptor and wireless receiver mount to the bracket. The whole thing can sit on top of my Bogen fluid head and quickly detach for easy transition to shoulder shooting...

Couldn't work without this...

Mike Rehmus August 26th, 2002 09:34 AM

I understand your point, Rich.

My point is that if you requently need a shoulder-supported camera, the on-the-shoulder camera is much more convenient and faster handling. At least to me.

I like my PD-150 but when I'm out on a fast-moving shoot, I do miss the EVW-300 for the quick handling, a separate, easy-to-find and operate control for everything and a great viewfinder. I don't miss the size and weight though. When I try to use the PD-150 in that mode, it causes (me) a backache and is not all that convenient. Bizarrely, I find it to not be a real handy run and gun camera. Maybe I will when I've handled it through a year of riding with the police.

Probably just a personal preference but there it is.

Tom Bolia April 3rd, 2006 06:54 PM

Sony Accessories

Does Sony have a site that will give you specific accessories for each camera?

I have both a Sony DSR-PD150 and a DSR-250, and want to buy accessories for them. When I google them, (obviously) every place that sells accessories show up. I check out a few, and can not find anything specific.

Basically, what I am looking for is a listing of accessories specific to each camera. Example... what lights are available for the PD150? How are they powered (by the camera or will I need some external power)? Specifics like this.

Anyhow, I already have an external light for the DSR-250 and it is powered by a plug that connects directly to the camera. I am possibly looking towards the HVL20DMA for the PD150, but I am not sure if this is specific for this camera, or whether it can directly connect with the camera for power, etc.

A site with specific accessories would be good. Any suggestions/advice from any of you would be great, especially if you have/use either of these two models. I have one of my first wedding shoots this weekend, so any QUICK info would be great so that I can order and have this available in time.

Oh, and if any of you want to recommend any tele/wide converters for these models, that would be great. I bought the ME66, but I don't even use it, because I'm not sure what to use it on. (I know... rather sad).

Eventually, I would like to purchase the Merlin for use with the PD150, but that's a lot later... when I have more cash flow.

Thanks for any help! :o)