DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Decisions Decisions.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/32982-decisions-decisions.html)

Cory Moorehead October 4th, 2004 07:41 PM

Decisions Decisions..

Hey guys. I work at a TV Studio for well over a year now. I enjoy filming events and putting together stories and such. I thought it is gih time I get a good video camera for my own purposes and for me to do some freelance with.Ive looked around and was dead set on getting a PD170. but now I see a VX2100. I know the PD170/150 is a well reknowned camera that has been used for shorts and even in studios. But is it worth it to pay for the B&W Viewfinder,XLR's, and the DVCAM support ? Im planning on making short films and starting up a forum type of show, or even filming bands or skating. Basically working around. Is there any difference between them as far as low light conditions go ? Between the PD150/170 and XL1s...which would be more suited to me to provide good low light recording and overall a better purchase ? Im 17 and I dont have much cash really so whatever I buy will do me for at least 2 years. Im really confused on what to choose, since there are so many nice cams out there.Of course if I get XL1 I wouldnt be able to afford any extra lenses. So im basically trying to figure out which camera out of all those nice 3 Chippers that would do me well for a long period of time for various projects as mentioned, basically looking for "One good solid camera" in terms of performance. Please help me choose somehow.

David Hurdon October 5th, 2004 08:11 AM

Two years ago I chose the VX2000 over the PD-150 mainly for budget reasons. My only comment on your dilemma is that you are very likely, sooner than later, to find yourself adding a Beachtek or similar XLR box to your kit if you buy the VX2100. This isn't necessarily a bad thing at all, and there are different models with varying prices and features. But if you don't think the absence of XLR connections matters my guess is you will quickly change your mind.

David Hurdon

Allen Brodsky October 5th, 2004 10:11 AM

In my opinion, the additional features on the PD170 make it worth the extra cost over the VX2100. There is no difference between the two models regarding low light; they use the same lens/CCD block. The PD170 also comes with a good wide-angle adapter, and more manual controls. I use it in miniDV mode only, as I don't see an advantage to DVCAM and the DVCAM tapes cost more and don't run as long.
Sony currently has a $300 rebate on the PD170, which, when you factor in what you would pay for a wide-angle lens and XLR adapter (Beech box or other brand), makes the costs of the two cams nearly the same.
On the other hand, you shouldn't spend more than you can afford, and inital outlay for the XV2100 is less than for the PD170. You can always buy accessories later, when you have more funds available.
Both cameras are "good solid cameras" and should work well for you for several years.
Hope this helps.

Shawn Mielke October 5th, 2004 04:58 PM

Two audio channels, independent iris and gain controls, WA lens in the package, Sony Pro support, simultaneous use of a B/W VF and LCD screen...
All in all, I say YES, the PD170 is worth it.
(I shoot with a PD170).

Tom Hardwick October 6th, 2004 12:55 AM

All good solid replies folks, and I'm with you on them all. As to the question as to whether Cory should consider the XL1s, notice the silence? I think we all agree that the Canon's the one to go for if you really will change lenses, and if you don't mind the much poorer low light performance, and if you'll never miss the side-screen and if you like buying 82mm filters rather than 58mm ones.

The PD170 it is then, but the rebates show that Sony think it's nearing the end of the road - however good it is and has been. The new 16:9 wondercams (HVR-Z1 and the HDR-FX1) are the replacement models.

tom.

Cory Moorehead October 6th, 2004 05:26 AM

Thanks everybody, all the help is really appreciated. Im now 100% sure I want to buy the PD170. Ive heard great stuff about the low light performance too, and that is a huge plus for me. Thanks for the help once again.

-Cory