DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   DSR-PD170 Footage Sample (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/33233-dsr-pd170-footage-sample.html)

Randy Stewart October 10th, 2004 02:22 AM

DSR-PD170 Footage Sample

***Note: added some Hawaiian Sunset footage just shot a few hours ago to the end of this sample. Randy 10/10/04

I just put up some footage shot today with my newly purchased -170 on my home web site here: http://www.cr-home-videos.com/samplevideos.html (go down to the PD-170 title and click). The footage is shot with the camera in DVCAM mode, on automatic everything with ND-2 filter selected and the wide angle lens adapter installed. It's encoded using Windows Media Player at 1 mbps and, while not full quality, still looks pretty darn good. I remember trying to find samples of -170 footage before I bought and couldn't so thought this might be helpful. Oh, the locations are at Ko'Olina resort and my yard on Oahu, Hawaii. I really like this camera!
Aloha,
Randy

Cory Moorehead October 10th, 2004 06:52 AM

Wow man, that is very awesome of you to take time and put that on your site. Ive been trying to decide between a DVX100A and the PD170 (Having a hell of a time deciding, too) and this footage is awesome to see. Im now leaning towards the PD170. The picture is just so darn nice, I thought it would have been washed out, but I really like it. Thanks again man, its really appreciated.

Glen Elliott October 10th, 2004 09:03 AM

Having owned a DVX100 myself I definitly suggest the PD-170 HEAVILY. Unless of course your *specifically* looking for shooting in 24p.

Regarding this clip....in all fairness most cameras in it's pricing point will look almost identical in bright sunlight. The only notable difference would be the 170's very neutral color rendering which is excellent. Some say it produces colors that are more bluish...but I'd have to say those people are medically color blind. The only cameras that have a distinct cast or particular predisposed temperature to the footage are Cannons. They are horribly orangy, even when white balanced correctly.

The footage that would truley make the 170 shine would have been darker environments and/or time of day. Maybe at dusk or at night with lumination only from street lights, etc. In these environments the PD-170 excells way past ANYTHING in it's class.

Randy Stewart October 10th, 2004 10:40 AM

Glenn,
Totally agree with your comments, especially the low light part. The first time I used the -170 was on a wedding shoot two weeks ago. We had a Cannon XL1, XL1s, and Pani DVX100a along with the -170. During the reception disco, the only camera that came through was the -170. All the other cameras were too dark. I did 7 interviews at tables on the floor without additional lights that all came out great.

Cory,
Thanks for the cudos and glad this helped. You should see the full quality. My son and his friend thought they were looking at a TV broadcast when I showed them the footage. Again, I'm really happy with this camera.

Aloha,
Randy

Randy Stewart October 11th, 2004 03:31 AM

I've added some Hawaiian sunset footage to the end of this sample. Couldn't resist as it was a beautiful day today.
Randy

Cory Moorehead October 11th, 2004 07:09 AM

Were the rest of those videos shot with a PD150 as well ? Or was it a different camera ?

Randy Stewart October 11th, 2004 11:02 AM

Cory,
All of the above was shot with the DSR-PD170. I'll try to get some low light stuff tonight and add it also.
Randy

Randy Stewart October 11th, 2004 12:40 PM

Cory,
Whoops. I think I misread your question. The rest of the videos on my home site were shot with a Sony Digital 8 Handycam (TRV-120 model). Not bad for a digital 8 but no comparison quality wise with the 3 chip camera (-170).
Randy

Graham Bernard October 11th, 2004 03:47 PM

. . .from London UK!

Randy? Is this when you were having an issue getting support from Sony and I said go and shoot some stuff? ? Well you did that, alright! Very beautiful Islnad you share . . just what I'm needing on this cold Autumn evening in overcast London . . Smashing footage!

Grazie

Randy Stewart October 11th, 2004 10:59 PM

Thanks Graham (Grazie). Glad to be of service. Wish I could send you a day like we had today. Better than yesterday. I'm going to shoot some low light footage tonight and add it the show. More to follow.
Randy

Graham Bernard October 11th, 2004 11:21 PM

Kooollll . . .

Bob Harotunian October 26th, 2004 11:59 AM

Glen said with regard to Canons "They are horribly orangy, even when white balanced correctly."

Can't say that I agree with that statement Glen. Always white balanced my GL2s and got excellent color reproduction.

Bob