DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   newbie question on Mixer to PD170 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/34314-newbie-question-mixer-pd170.html)

Kirk House November 1st, 2004 08:35 PM

newbie question on Mixer to PD170

I'm new to the DVI community and have been enjoying reading the discussions the past few weeks. You convinced me on the pd170 and I just recently purchased one for use at our Church. I have a quick question or 2 on sound.

We have a Soundcraft Spirit LX7 32 Channel mixer and I would like to take a monitor mix (same as the mix to the main speakers) from there into the pd170. There are 1/4 inch jacks for this mix but I have 2 questions:

1. What is the line level for the monitor mix outputs and would it be ok to take into the pd170?
2. How would I convert the 1/4" to XLR? (possibly Direct Box?)

Any guidence is appreciated.

Kirk

Mike Rehmus November 1st, 2004 10:31 PM

Re: newbie question on Mixer to PD170

<<<-- Originally posted by Kirk House : I'm new to the DVI community and have been enjoying reading the discussions the past few weeks. You convinced me on the pd170 and I just recently purchased one for use at our Church. I have a quick question or 2 on sound.

We have a Soundcraft Spirit LX7 32 Channel mixer and I would like to take a monitor mix (same as the mix to the main speakers) from there into the pd170. There are 1/4 inch jacks for this mix but I have 2 questions:

1. What is the line level for the monitor mix outputs and would it be ok to take into the pd170?
-------------------------------
Works perfectly
-------------------------------

2. How would I convert the 1/4" to XLR? (possibly Direct Box?)
--------------------------------
All you need is a cable with a 1/4" jack on one end and a XLR on the other. Suitably wired, of course. The mixer manual should tell you what the setup is on the output and whether it is balanced or not. If it is not, you can use a direct box to get a balanced line to the camcorder. If you aren't going far, you probably don't need a balanced connection.
---------------------------

Any guidence is appreciated.

Kirk -->>>

Kirk House November 2nd, 2004 07:49 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply. The main thing I don't want to do is to "blow up" my camera with a mixer feed. There is also a Mono Out channel that usually goes to an equalizer->amps->speakers. We now only use the Mix out. Both the Mono Out and Mix Out have Balanced XLR outputs. Would I be ok to run the Mono Out directly to my camera?

Kirk

Mike Rehmus November 2nd, 2004 07:51 PM

Read the mixer's manual and make certain the levels are Line or Microphone. Chose Line if you can.

You can feed line into the camera all day long with no problems.

The normal caveats are that things have to be wired correctly, etc., etc., etc.